Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 08:36 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,088,107 times

Advertisements

I was so looking forward to using that Harris Teeter all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 08:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,844 times
Default learning curve

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
First I want to say I'm a big Harris Teeter fan. Not the cheapest but if you shop sales and use coupons IMHO they are a great value.
That being said I went to the new 2 story Harris Teeter at North Hills this morning and wasn't impressed. A logistics nightmare. I parked out front and had to traverse a flight of stairs (down) just to get to the front door. Not sure how you would get a grocery cart back up to the car. I realize you wouldn't make that mistake but once which means you must park in the parking garage. I didn't do that so I can't comment on how that would go but I wouldn't be a fan of walking a cart up several floors or waiting for a elevator with a weeks worth of groceries. Speaking of elevators, if you are wheeling a cart around in the new store and want certain items you must take the (only saw one) elevator. On a busy day I can see my ice cream melting as I wait in line to get up or down. Maybe I'm missing something but I'll gladly stick with my old one story Harris Teeter any day. Just my 2 cents worth.
hey pitroad, give it a chance. Like every new idea, there is a public learning curve. Next time don't park out front. HT has over 100 reserved spaces right in front of the store in the parking deck. On the elevator comment; because the good people at HT were thinking of you, they decided to locate products that aren't purchased as often on the second floor (toothpaste, shampoo, pharmacy, etc.). Ultimately, this makes the line for the elevator shorter. Also, Mama always said get your ice cream last.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:45 AM

515 posts, read 1,716,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryroads View Post
hey pitroad, give it a chance. Like every new idea, there is a public learning curve. Next time don't park out front. HT has over 100 reserved spaces right in front of the store in the parking deck. On the elevator comment; because the good people at HT were thinking of you, they decided to locate products that aren't purchased as often on the second floor (toothpaste, shampoo, pharmacy, etc.). Ultimately, this makes the line for the elevator shorter. Also, Mama always said get your ice cream last.
Ya know that is all well and good. But seriously, one elevator for a two story store? dumb!!! even target got it better by installing a cart escalator in the parking lot for convienence of getting to your car. HT did not even get it right IN the store.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:02 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,141,649 times
In Miami Beach, there are two Publix grocery stores (South Beach) that involve elevators and both stores work fine. In both cases, parking is above the stores and shoppers must get their groceries upstairs. While it's true that South Beach is a fairly walkabe community, it's also a community in which many people have cars. Most shoppers still use their cars. I could walk to the grocery store when I am in Miami Beach but I don't because I usually buy more than I can effectively carry 3 blocks. I think you'll find that the same will be true for N.Hills. It's a pipe dream to think that people will walk to this store for their weekly shopping. Sure, there will be residents in the building and they'll be walking to the store. But, to think that people who live in N. Hills neighborhood or Eastgate, etc. will typically walk to the store is unrealistic.
I am happy that the N. Hills area is becoming more dense. It allows the city to continue to grow, increase tax revenues per square mile, curtail sprawl and begin the process of reducing the amount of our dependency on cars. But, let's face it folks, it's not going to turn into Midtown Manhattan any time soon.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:10 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,917,683 times
We went to the new Harris Teeter on opening day. I'm not going to beat up on the place up too bad yet because I was unfamiliar with the layout, and the place was crawling with a lot of anxious first time shoppers....well, I will say that putting the elevator right behind the checkout lanes wasn't a very good idea I'll check back in on things over there next week.

BTW...we already miss the old Teeter. It was one block away on our side of Six Forks Rd.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:07 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,127,613 times
Haven't checked out the new HT yet, but I can't wait to do so. I had assumed that they would have a cart escalator versus an elevator but hopefully the designers/professionals and know what they are doing? (Fingers-crossed)

I will agree with what a few others have said about the entire North Hills design. I like the concept but rarely go there, even when I lived around the corner. Every time we want to go there for something a big sigh comes to mind when thinking about the logistics of it all.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:19 PM

346 posts, read 612,699 times
I was at thr North hills store 2 days ago...While HT has good products..I was not impressed with their 2 story layout...it is logistically pretty stupid. I would not go back to that particular store.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:34 PM

645 posts, read 1,502,745 times
Its just a food store, nothing special, but we are used to a wegmans, this harris teeter is nice but it ain't a wegmans. Far from it.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:27 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,152,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryroads View Post
Dumb idea for Harris-Teeter.

Those are the highest profit items in grocery stores and most grocers want you to see the Health and Beauty Aids so you'll pay the inflated supermarket price when you buy them on impulse for convenience.

Sounds like a very poor marketing philosophy.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:14 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,318 times
I feel like people just like to rail on things that are new/different around here. It's only been open a week, give it a chance to adjust. I went two days ago and yes it was crazy busy but I didn't really see any major issues. There wasn't a huge line to use the elevator so I don't really think an escalator for high traffic flow is necessary in this case. All groceries are downstairs so it's not like you have a high demand for the elevator to get upstairs.

You could really just leave your cart downstairs and run up the stairs really quick to grab a set of paper towels so need you. I know I know, you have to walk, I'm sorry for exercise. I saw a mom who was really smart and utilized her kids to run upstairs and grab some things she needed while she kept shopping. Now that's smart if you ask me. If anything the two-story design makes you practice smart shopping. Get your ice-cream last if you have to. If you're worried about someone picking over your cart if you run upstairs, go park your cart and do the upstairs stuff first. Grab a basket and a cart so if you have to get a bunch of things upstairs you don't have to juggle them!

My only complaint was yes, there is no entrance from the outside street network. Which makes this kind of auto-centric if you happen to live within the North Hills network and can walk to the store. You have to enter via the deck. But really is that so horrible once you figure it out? I went right at the after work rush and found a spot to park my big truck in.

The above being said, even if you were walking to get groceries you probably wouldn't be grabbing a ton of items in the first place because you're going to have to walk those items home. You'd probably be driving to get a full load of groceries. So it kind of makes the entrance debacle a touch and go issue anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary