Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 04:57 PM

39 posts, read 166,625 times

Advertisements

I am still fairly new to the area and my car is in need of new tires. I would appreciate any recommendations on a reputable, trustworthy place where I can take my business. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 04:59 PM

95 posts, read 101,388 times
Discount Tire is the ONLY place to go. Whatever you do don't go to Wal-Mart and the like. Tire makers produce cheap products for sale at these outlets.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:59 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybee18 View Post
I am still fairly new to the area and my car is in need of new tires. I would appreciate any recommendations on a reputable, trustworthy place where I can take my business. Thanks!
We got our last ones at BJs. Nice price, good service.

Old 05-29-2007, 05:30 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
I've shopped at Discount Tire for the last 15-20 years. Since we moved here, we go to the one on Maynard in Cary, in the Harris Teeter shopping center.

Before you go, be forewarned that they will try to pack on tire warranties. The "standard" road hazzard warranty will replace the tire, but require you pay for the amount of tire that you used. The "premium" road hazzard warranty will replace the tire, but you don't have to pay anything. There will also be fees to dispose of your old tires. They offer free rotating and balancing and flat repair with the tire purchase.

Before you go in to the store, check out their website: Discount Tire Co. / America's Tire Co. and you can see what tires they carry that fit your vehicle. Not all stores carry all tires, so it's best to call ahead, make an appointment, and find out if they carry the tires that you want. They will charge extra if you want them to order a tire that they don't have in stock.

Another option.. . . . . . Call TireRack (The Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels), which is an internet mail order tire store, and find some tires that you like. These guys usually have really good prices. Have the tires shipped to a local shop which agrees to mount the tires for you. They will charge a fee to do this. You should get the shop to agree to this BEFORE they receive a set of tires on their doorstep. Tire Rack and Discount Tire websites also have "opinion" pages, where customers comment on specific tires on specific vehicles.

Old 05-29-2007, 05:41 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
They beat me to it. We are new as well, and shopped several places. Discount Tire in Wake Forest took care of us very well, and they beat the prices. They say they'll beat any price on the same tire that you might be quoted elsewhere. BTW, I took the tire warranty. It's worth it, considering how bad the roads are, and all the litter that flies off other cars and trucks (we blew a tire on 95 after hitting something that flew off of a truck). Discount Tire will replace the tire if its not repairable. Repairable would be something like a nail, for example, in a repairable spot on the tire.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:20 PM

250 posts, read 1,245,983 times
We also have used Discount Tire at High House and 55 in Cary for all our tire needs. My husband really likes the guys who work there and has gotten great service.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:21 PM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,259,603 times
Yet another recommendation for Discount Tire. FYI if you find a tire you want on their website and they have to get it shipped to the store, just tell them you're not paying for shipping. I also found the tires I wanted were a few bucks cheaper on their website than the instore price, and they honored it.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:29 PM
bta

284 posts, read 1,885,480 times
My wife and I recently had the tires replaced on our cars (gotta love new construction - lots of nails in the streets). We used The Tire Rack - my third set of tires from them. They shipped the tires to Hubcap Heaven in Cary - and Hubcap Heaven did the install. They were excellent to work with.

Hubcap Heaven and Wheels
The Tire Rack

Old 05-29-2007, 09:21 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
I sense an echo here....
Discount Tires:
High House and NC 55.
Six Forks Road and Wake forest Road.
Maynard Road @ North Harrison Ave.

I've used all three and been pleased with each of them.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:39 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
We go to Sears.

Discount tires almost killed me (literally). They switched men during my tire job and I needed my car to go a dr appointment. I was 7 months pregnant at the time. The last guy to work on it did not screw my lug nuts on all the way, thinking that the first guy had already done it.
My car started shaking on I-40 from Cary to Chapel Hill. I called them from Chapel Hill to tell then that my car was shaking and they told me to drive the car back to them, which I did. (yes, I was young and stupid)
Half way down 1-40, my rear right tire literally flew off of my car and up an embankment. I was in the fast lane and my car skidded across 3 lanes and stopped on the median. There must have been an angel on my shoulder that day because I actually did not hit anyone. Strangely, not one person around me stopped until one of those car towing companies that lurks I-40 found me and drove me back to Cary. I was hysterical and crying.
They totally denied that anyone there had done something wrong, but later it was discovered that the lug nuts had never been screwed back on correctly. I'll pass on discount tire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary