Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 09:53 AM

22 posts, read 128,306 times

Advertisements

Hello All ~ Hoping you can help!

I've been searching the online newspapers in Raleigh and Orange County, and can't seem to find the smaller papers which would have homeowners offering small houses or apartments for rent.

All I can find are long list of rentals in apartments and developments, etc. ........I'm looking for rentals in actual homes - maybe a big house that's been converted to several apts., or just a 2 family etc.

Where I'm from, Rhode Island, the best luck I've had in finding a great place, at a good price, has been by looking in the tiny newspapers (East Greenwich Pendulum, Coventry Courier etc)

Would you please give me the names of the small-town papers there?

In my area, the best places either just have a sign out front, or end up in a small town ad, since the owners don't want to deal with statewide responses - I'm wondering if that's true there also?

For instance, the LAST place I'd look here is the Providence Journal, since the apartments are all over-priced and I'm assuming this works out when advertising to newcomers, since they don't realize there have other options.

I found a website which lists all the online papers in NC, but I'm thinking some have been left out:

North Carolina Newspapers (NC) : Newspapers from North Carolina : North Carolina News

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 10:12 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
Where are you looking at for an apartment or house?

I can speak about Raleigh. We have many free 'homes" or apartment magazines placed outside of stores, you'll find most of the prints info this way. Some are in our only newspaper, the Raleigh News & Observer.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:02 AM

997 posts, read 4,645,143 times
Try Craigslist. I know people who have rented homes and apartments directly from the owner using this site. Good luck!

Old 02-12-2010, 11:35 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chloe410 View Post
I found a website which lists all the online papers in NC, but I'm thinking some have been left out:
North Carolina Newspapers (NC) : Newspapers from North Carolina : North Carolina News
I'm no expert, but the list on that website looks pretty thorough. What do you think has been left out?

Old 02-12-2010, 11:50 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,908 times
Quote:
Hello All ~ Hoping you can help!

I've been searching the online newspapers in Raleigh and Orange County, and can't seem to find the smaller papers which would have homeowners offering small houses or apartments for rent.

All I can find are long list of rentals in apartments and developments, etc. ........I'm looking for rentals in actual homes - maybe a big house that's been converted to several apts., or just a 2 family etc.

Where I'm from, Rhode Island, the best luck I've had in finding a great place, at a good price, has been by looking in the tiny newspapers (East Greenwich Pendulum, Coventry Courier etc)

Would you please give me the names of the small-town papers there?

In my area, the best places either just have a sign out front, or end up in a small town ad, since the owners don't want to deal with statewide responses - I'm wondering if that's true there also?

For instance, the LAST place I'd look here is the Providence Journal, since the apartments are all over-priced and I'm assuming this works out when advertising to newcomers, since they don't realize there have other options.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Well, a couple of papers not on that list are the Herald-Sun in Durham The Herald-Sun - Trusted & Essential and the Independent Weekly Independent Weekly: Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill . There's also the Wake Weekly Welcome to the Wake Weekly Online Edition ... oh wait, that one is on the list.

There are just not a lot of smaller newspapers in the Triangle. There used to be an independent newspaper in Chapel Hill, but the News and Observer bought it years ago. The Herald and the Sun in Durham also merged years ago. Those that do exist are weeklies so they don't get as many rental ads.

I'd recommend CraigsList for rentals as well.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:30 PM

Default Thanks --

This is all very helpful.

Yes, the list in the link I posted seems quite extensive - just thought there might be more
small own papers listed.

Yes, Craiglist is a great place to look....thanks.

And to answer your question, I'm looking to rent a 1 or 2 bedroom place, either in a multi-family home, cottage, or other type of home...just NOT an apartment complex.

Thanks, so far so good!

Old 02-12-2010, 12:38 PM

J-Lurk & Wolfcub...thansk for the paper names.

Just checked out the Herald Sun and they have exactly what I was thinking of:

The Herald-Sun - Trusted & Essential

Hmmm..but now I don't know which neighborhoods are desirable or not.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:41 PM

932 posts, read 3,097,752 times
The Garner Citizen
www.garnernews.net
Eastern Wake News | Front

Old 02-12-2010, 12:45 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
Quote:
J-Lurk & Wolfcub...thansk for the paper names.

Just checked out the Herald Sun and they have exactly what I was thinking of:

The Herald-Sun - Trusted & Essential

Hmmm..but now I don't know which neighborhoods are desirable or not.
But you still haven't told us where you want to be? Orange Co is not close to Raleigh, it's quite a drive. Downtown Durham is 30-45 mins from downtown Raleigh. Chapel Hill (Orange Co) is on the other side of Durham from Raleigh. It's a pretty spread out place.

Are you interested in Raleigh, Durham or Chapel Hill? There are a lot of folks here who can help you narrow down the good v's bad neighborhoods if you'll let them know which area you want to be in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary