Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 09:34 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

This map is fresh, having just been published by the RDU Noise folks last month.

And it shows subdivisions and streets pretty clearly. You can get a pretty good idea of the path of 540 through Western Wake and proximity to subdivisions, too.

RDU AirTraffic Composite Noise Contours Map (http://www.rduaircraftnoise.com/noiseinfo/Composite_Noise_Contours.pdf - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 09:56 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Here's a hint the airport was here before 'you' moved here, deal with it.

'You' doesn't mean you, just the NIMBY complainers.

PS Nice map and find

Old 02-13-2010, 09:05 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Great map. For those new to the area who may have difficulty orienting this map - it's turned 90 degrees. North is to the right.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:51 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Here's a hint the airport was here before 'you' moved here, deal with it.

'You' doesn't mean you, just the NIMBY complainers.

PS Nice map and find
Not picking at you, but is this a two way street? We have friends who owned homes in NW Raleigh before RDU noise was an issue, land that was in their families before RDU existed.

It is a good map. A lot of the RDU info in the past was quite dated, I noticed they're even showing the proposed new runway that was a hot topic back in the AA hub days. I do prefer the maps that show separate contours for flight ops in both directions as many areas have significantly different profiles if being impacted by landings vs takeoffs. Especially since many folks aren't savy enough to know that.

Frank

Old 02-13-2010, 05:27 PM

98 posts, read 131,565 times
The map is great, but everyone should consider the fact that the planes come in from different angles and circle the airport. North Cary, North Raleigh and Morrisville all have lots of airplane noise. Some people are used to it, so they may say they don't notice it or it is not a big deal. If you are thinking of moving to any of these areas, you should spend some time outside at different parts of the day to hear how much it will bother you. I notice it, so those areas are out for me.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
Not picking at you, but is this a two way street? We have friends who owned homes in NW Raleigh before RDU noise was an issue, land that was in their families before RDU existed.

Was an issue maybe being the key word? It's not like there are 707's, 727's and G2's flying over us these days with no hush kits and just straight turbojet engines on them. Todays aircraft are significantly quieter than they were 10, 20, 30+ years ago. Plus there is a lot less GA flying around too, $$ has really impacted that.

Sure OK let them complain. They are .0001% of the type of people that do complain.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:02 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Default 2 questions

1. Did RDU develop the capability to use both runways simultaneously, or do they still have to alternate approaches and take-offs?

2. What are the chances of seeing a third runway? In 5, 10, 15 years?

Old 02-13-2010, 06:10 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
I'm not sure what the colors mean, but my old neighborhood of Dominion Park is just on the edge of the "blue region". Planes flew so low over our house we could read the serial numbers and were so loud they would drown out the voice of a person you were having a conversation with sitting right next to you; no exaggeration.

EDIT...I see the colors are just showing the city/town limits of Raleigh, Cary, Morrisville, and Durham.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:21 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Dominion Park, Woodlawn, Harrington Grove still get a good amount of airplane noise.

And yes, there are times when you actually have to stop talking for 10 SECONDS if you are outside. Strange that you can hardly hear any of the plane noise inside the house. I guess double pane windows work to keep out noise as well as cold/heat!

Those neighborhoods are considered very desirable and the airplane "noise" doesn't seem to keep them from selling. There was a time a few years ago that homes in those n'hoods sold in less than 7 days!

Vicki

Old 02-13-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
1. Did RDU develop the capability to use both runways simultaneously, or do they still have to alternate approaches and take-offs?
No they cannot do simultaneous approaches. The runways are too close together.

Quote:
2. What are the chances of seeing a third runway? In 5, 10, 15 years?
.00001%.

A) No need
B) Even a 15 year time line is pushing it
C) No need

EDIT There are 3 runways already, my guess is you are speaking of a 3rd parallel one, correct? Charlotte's just opened up today for general use I believe.

Last edited by wheelsup; 02-13-2010 at 08:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary