Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 12:41 PM

333 posts, read 1,198,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob

Not many maps of them unfortunately. Usually you get situated to the city and just learn where they are.
However, a quick search online found a local realtor's website (paulsetliff DOT com)...I hit the "neighborhoods" button on the top and it has some impressive neighborhood maps. Some of the names vary...what he calls "Sunset Hills" for example, I always thought was called "Budleigh". *shrug*
{Note: I have nothing to do with this realtor and am not advertising his service, I just found the site as a good mapping resource.}
Sure, sure we know you are really Raleigh Paul!

Yes nice site, I recommend this link and then you click on any pink neighborhood you get even more detail, about 15-20 neighborhoods with some verbage about them - very cool.

link removed

I also am not Paul nor know Paul

Last edited by Yac; 07-28-2006 at 02:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2006, 12:47 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,389,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpfitz
I fixed your name above since your happiness matters to me!

Quote:
That said, in addition to my punk/hardcore obsession, I'm also a budding techno DJ! So we share that interest. Any good techno clubs out there?
Depending on your definition of techno (electronica vs. chill vs. house, etc) Some I know of: Aura, Rush Lounge, & The Office come to mind.
(I can also mention Legends and The CC....if you don't mind visiting a place that attracts an "alternative lifestyle", if you know what I mean.)
Quote:
And what neighborhoods are best for said clubs? Thank you, sir!
All that I've mentioned so far are in downtown Raleigh. The exception was when I mentioned the rock club The Brewery, earlier...it's just to the west of downtown near NC State University.

Old 07-28-2006, 12:54 PM

6 posts, read 56,277 times
Default "I see," says the blind man!

Gotcha, Rob. I actually prefer ambient and experimental techno. Not exactly what most people want on the dancefloor, I know!

Cheers mate.

Old 09-23-2006, 12:09 AM

7 posts, read 19,448 times
Catching this thread a little late, but it was helpful. So am I to understand there is at least techno to be found in Raleigh? We're looking at moving from Cleveland (MUCH better job opportunities!) but we'd miss our techno scene here. While it's not much, we've got a nice tight knit community of DJ's/promoters etc...we're hung out with for years, and threw music events with. My husband DJ's and I think he'd miss being able to.

Anyone know how easy it is to get into the loop?

(If it means anything we *really* like minimal, microhouse, actual 4-4 techno, etc...)

Old 09-23-2006, 02:13 PM

^ I had forgotten about this thread. LOL
Anyways, I think there's a good number of nightclubs, bars, lounges, etc, in Raleigh/Durham/ChapelHill, that just about every musical taste is covered by at least one place! I certainly cannot tell you every club and what they play, but I do know there are plenty that cover a good number of electronica/dance genres, from house to trance to lounge and beyond. I'm sure after some digging around you'd find at least one that's pretty darn close to your preferred specific style!

As far as how difficult it is to get into the DJ circuit, I cannot say....probably depends on demand for a specific genre + one's skill.
Good luck!!

Old 09-23-2006, 07:07 PM

225 posts, read 952,073 times
RaleighRob,
I thought Moderator cut: realtor company websites not permitted herewas really coo! Great neighborhood information.

I just love many of those neighborhoods....wish I could talk my husband into buying inside the beltline. But, there is concern about the schools & the size renovated house we would like can get up there in price (from what we have seen).

Oh, well.....I guess a girl can dream....

Old 09-24-2006, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmarie View Post
RaleighRob,
I thought the paulsetliff web site was really coo! Great neighborhood information.

I just love many of those neighborhoods....wish I could talk my husband into buying inside the beltline. But, there is concern about the schools & the size renovated house we would like can get up there in price (from what we have seen).

Oh, well.....I guess a girl can dream....
Well since I don't know your budget, I cannot comment on the size/renovation of the house issue...but schools? No way should that be a concern...the schools that serve the older neighborhoods in Raleigh's core are actually some of the best in the county! And they are, by far, some of the least crowded, and less likely to be subject to re-districting. That's because the area is already built---there's no surging school-age population here. Therefore the student numbers are WAY more stable, keeping the school system from having to re-shuffle the students around. There's even a good bunch of kids who still walk to schools like the good ol' days!

Old 09-24-2006, 05:42 PM

225 posts, read 952,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
Well since I don't know your budget, I cannot comment on the size/renovation of the house issue...but schools? No way should that be a concern...the schools that serve the older neighborhoods in Raleigh's core are actually some of the best in the county! And they are, by far, some of the least crowded, and less likely to be subject to re-districting. That's because the area is already built---there's no surging school-age population here. Therefore the student numbers are WAY more stable, keeping the school system from having to re-shuffle the students around. There's even a good bunch of kids who still walk to schools like the good ol' days!
RaleighRob,
It seems like the research I've done on house pricing inside the belt line for an updated larger historical type homes (over 2,800sf), it can go into the $400,000 and upwards (usually much more). The homes which are more in our price range are usually only around 1,500 sf. Ideally we would like a home closer to 3,000+. We have already renovated 2 homes & my husband says....no more! Our current one is a 1901 Greek Revival Farmhouse.

I'm going to take a second look at the schools, again only from research I've done (lower test scores compared to others in Wake Co. & from things I've read on the board and others) did not give me a good impresstion. Gosh, I'd love if my kids could walk to school!

One point I did not mention on my OP is the fact that my husband wants to be within 10 min. or less of work--which pretty much has us in the south Cary/Apex area. But, it doesn't mean if he didn't see a great old home that he wouldn't change his mind.

We just made the decision last weekend that we are going to rent for one year. That will give us plenty of time to make a final decision & hopefully our home will sell up north here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary