Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 12:29 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,723,689 times

Advertisements

Why does it seem like the more I read the Raleigh/Durham and the Charlotte thread to an extent, I see posts from people moving here to Raleigh/Durham that contain the words "we", "DH", "girlfriend", "boyfriend", "wife", "husband" somewhere in the post? I compare what I read on this board to what I read on the city boards where I have lived and you don't see anywhere near the number of posts from people on those other city boards containing the phases "we", "boyfriend", "wife", etc. You see a good of posts from people that are moving without the significant other and looking for a place to live that is close to nightlife and other fun activities.

I've been here 5 months and from hanging out, going to the grocery store, talking to people, there seems to be a large segment of people that have boyfriends/girlfriends/wives/husbands and it makes me think that this area may not be the best place for a single person to find other singles EASILY. The key word being EASILY. I know they can be found, but it seems that they are harder to find. I told a friend the other day that it's like looking under a rock. In other cities where I have lived, you don't have to live downtown to find readily available singles and they aren't all 20 years old like most of the single girls I have met around here. What gives with this place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 12:56 PM

142 posts, read 520,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
You see a good of posts from people that are moving without the significant other and looking for a place to live that is close to nightlife and other fun activities.
I could move without my significant other, but then who would help with the kids?

Old 05-21-2007, 12:57 PM

1,515 posts, read 6,982,732 times
Everyone is meeting each other at www.meetup.com according to my previously single friend who just moved in with her bf.
Thats where they met.

Old 05-21-2007, 01:19 PM

306 posts, read 1,192,511 times
I agree with the PP. Check out meet-ups. There are soooo many types of groups to choose from. Anything from dancing to cards to dog lovers. Take a look and see what appeals to you. Just don't pick a group thinking there should be a lot of the opposite sex but you don't really like the activity. Like I don't like hiking , but I know there has to be guys in the groups, but I don't like hiking so why joint that one when there are plenty more to choose from.

Char

Old 05-21-2007, 01:31 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,643,742 times
Yup, what everyone has been saying is exactly what I see with my single friends. One of my friends in particular is always doing something, from dancing to karaoke to sports. She has a huge network of single friends that she has met through various activities.

Old 05-21-2007, 01:42 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
I think the singles presence is much larger in the urban downtown areas of Raleigh and Durham. There are also lots of singles in the various apartment complexes in the more suburban areas. We visit often with a friend who is single and she lives in a huge fancy apartment complex in Wakefield Plantation. They have a great pool area with hot tubs and grills and lots of 25 to 35 y/o people seem to hang out there. Living in a typical subdivision and running into people at the grocery store / gym is a tough scene here. Like I said imo most singles live in apartment complexes and some of the nicer ones have pretty nice gyms so you don't have to go out and join one open to the public. My advice to a single guy trying to meet people is to get a dog and take it to the dog park often. Most single women I know don't like the quiet of living alone so they get a dog and meet lots of guys walking their dogs at the various greenway areas and dog parks in the triangle.

My Wife and I go down to the Glenwood South Area in Downtwon Raleigh a lot and we find there is a strong singles scene at the following places (And I am not talking about college aged singles).

The Red Room

Blue Martini

April and George

Amra's

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 05-21-2007 at 02:03 PM..

Old 05-21-2007, 02:15 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,693,941 times
I think singles are probably not hitting this board so much

Old 05-21-2007, 02:21 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times
Yeah. They actually have a life.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltank View Post
I think singles are probably not hitting this board so much
It's those slow days at work!

Old 05-21-2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I think the singles presence is much larger in the urban downtown areas of Raleigh and Durham. There are also lots of singles in the various apartment complexes in the more suburban areas. We visit often with a friend who is single and she lives in a huge fancy apartment complex in Wakefield Plantation. They have a great pool area with hot tubs and grills and lots of 25 to 35 y/o people seem to hang out there. Living in a typical subdivision and running into people at the grocery store / gym is a tough scene here. Like I said imo most singles live in apartment complexes and some of the nicer ones have pretty nice gyms so you don't have to go out and join one open to the public. My advice to a single guy trying to meet people is to get a dog and take it to the dog park often. Most single women I know don't like the quiet of living alone so they get a dog and meet lots of guys walking their dogs at the various greenway areas and dog parks in the triangle.

My Wife and I go down to the Glenwood South Area in Downtwon Raleigh a lot and we find there is a strong singles scene at the following places (And I am not talking about college aged singles).

The Red Room

Blue Martini

April and George

Amra's
I'll check those places out. In the city I last lived in, I met a lot of girls at the gym because it's so easy to meet people at gyms. I'm a member of Peak Fitness and I've met some girls but I want to meet more.

The dog thing is a good idea but I don't want to have to clean behind anyone other than myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary