U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 10:44 AM
LJD LJD started this thread

9 posts, read 25,257 times

Advertisements

For Kindergarten? Our child will be five, one month after the cut-off date of Oct. 16 for enrollment into Kindergarten.

Private school is not an option.

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 11:01 AM

823 posts, read 3,746,990 times
In Pennyslvania, a child can attend a private kindergarten if they are too young. If they pass, they will be allowed into the public first grade.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:12 AM

I read the following at the NC State Board of Education Web site, concerning private-to-public school enrollment: "The child will presumably be eligible the next year for enrollment in public schools at the initial point of entry, kindergarten. The decision as to his assignment to a grade level other than kindergarten is still the responsibility of the principal."

The rest of the page indicates an airtight age minimum. I'm just wondering if there's any avenue of appeal.

Thanks again.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:13 AM

8,269 posts, read 23,750,096 times
Do you mean that you want your child to start KG in the fall even though they miss the cutoff?
I don't think you can bypass that. WCPSS tends to stick to the rules, but I guess if you could make a really case, you could try it. The worst they can say is No.
There are transitional KG programs around here that they can attend though, usually run through private preschools (not really "private" schools)

Old 05-30-2007, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Do you mean that you want your child to start KG in the fall even though they miss the cutoff?
Yes.

If not, no big deal. Are the transitional KGs all day, or half day?

Thanks.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:25 AM

Usually half day.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:39 AM

107 posts, read 326,555 times
According to the Wake County School website:

In order to attend kindergarten, children must be 5 years old on or before Oct. 16 of the current school year. In accordance with state law, gifted children who are age 4 by April 16 also will be considered for admission. For specific admission guidelines, call 850-1854.

I think they have to take a gifted test or something. I'll be in the same boat, with all my girls' bdays in December and January. Part of me thinks I should wait but if I were in your situation I'd definitely petition. Here's the link to their site:

WCPSS: Kindergarten/First-Grade Registration

ETA: Also, if you were to enroll your child at a daycare center like Bright Horizons they definitely offer full-day kindergarten.

Last edited by mama2three; 05-30-2007 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: Forgot to mention...

Old 05-30-2007, 11:40 AM

548 posts, read 2,527,336 times
You can bypass that in Chapel Hill, although it would have to be for an exceptional child. There is a girl in my daughter's kindergarten who was not turning 5 until the APRIL after school started, so she was only 4.5 when she started. She is truly a gifted child though (not gifted in the "my child gets gifted services"--which mainly means smart, not gifted--way. This child was out of the ballpark). So I know it can be done, as I know this little girl. But...this child had a very compelling reason to attend early--she is amazing academically at her age.

If it were just b/c the child is regular-smart, and misses the cutoff, no, I don't think there would be an exception. Also, she'd by far be the youngest in the class. Lots of parents have started keeping their kids who were born in Oct,Sept,sometimes even Aug. and July back a year (which I totally disagree with unless there is an equally compelling reason to start late as there needs to be to start early...but that's another subject!).

Old 05-30-2007, 12:12 PM

Okay, those are helpful replies. Thanks!

Yeah, lots of folks out here in CA are holding their kids back. "Hi, my son is 17 and he'd like to start Kindergarten."

Also, our oldest is in the gifted program. It's all-day instruction in a gifted-only class. In Wake/Orange/Johnston/Durham, are the gifted programs all-day classes, or, are the children pulled into gifted classes for part of the day?

Thanks.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:19 PM

It depends on the school. In Wake COunty, some magnets have "AG basics" programs, which means that all of their core classes are AG.

Other schools without AG basics programs have pull out AG instruction for either math or language arts or both. This is how many elementary schools do it. I think it's 45 minutes a week (not enough, IMO).
Some other schools like my daughter's middle school (non magnet) have begun to group teams of students together based on academic results (testing, grades etc) even though there is no AG basics OR Pull out. These teams actually do get AG level work, even though it's not designated an AG basics class. You just have to do your homework and figure out which ones will work best for your child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary