Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2010, 10:57 AM

5 posts, read 14,918 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Park Village in West Cary (3 bdr) and love our neighborhood, but am in need of a larger house, really just a bonus room for all the kid stuff! I am looking for a neighborhood in the same general area Cary/Apex, that has access to the greenways, a pool, a park for the kids and offers organized neighborhood social activities (Easter Egg hunt, Christmas parties or cookouts with neighbors, that type of thing). All the stuff I love about our current location.

We're interested in The Reserve, Wellsley, maybe Preston Village or Haddon Hall. Any comments on these neighborhoods or suggestions for ones we may have missed? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 12:31 PM

6 posts, read 15,383 times
Check out Wescott in Holly Springs. It is a beautiful neighborhood, steps from Apex and Cary. Good schools. Pool, walking trails, and they always have social stuff at the pool, some even just for adults. My neighbor's home just went on the market. It has 2 Bonus rooms and 3.5 bath. Very nice and meticulously well maintained...good luck!

Old 02-17-2010, 12:39 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
I'm not sure of your price range, but you could check out neighborhoods surrounding to Bond Park. I live in Oxxford Hunt which has greenways, tennis courts, a nice pool and activities.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:51 PM

997 posts, read 4,643,523 times
West Park, Carpenter Village and Cary Park are also options. All are great neighborhoods. You can't go wrong with any. Just watch some of the lots in The Reserve and proximity to 540. I'm not big on some of the back lots in Haddon Hall. Avoid those.

I like Preston Village. It was our previous neighborhood. Prestonwood granted them the pool last year which I feel is a big asset to the neighborhood now. The new library is around the corner. The Cary Tennis Center is right around the corner within walking distance. You can walk to Green Hope Elementary if you like the year round calendar. The playground is HUGE. The circle is great and host to many neighborhood activcities. DJ on the Green. Movie night. Adults only parties. Halloween, Christmas, Easter events etc. Kids feed the ducks in the pond. It does not have greenway access or a walking trail but we just used to cross Morrisville Parkway and walk the lake in Carpenter Village which is is back of the neighborhood. Watch the back lots that back Morrisville Parkway and the front lots that back Davis Drive.

Good luck.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:28 AM

232 posts, read 552,909 times
I agree with adlnc07. Sounds like you're describing Oxxford Hunt!

Old 02-18-2010, 05:40 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,445,190 times
The children and young families here in Highcroft seem most happy with the neighborhood. As a retiree, I like the neighborhood because it is friendly, and I think my neighbors and I look out for one another without being bothersome or nosey.

Nice park on Sears Farm Road, walking trails and sidewalks, community pool well-maintained, and play area next to it. The neighborhood plans many social events during the year, for grown-ups and kids, and there is no stigma attached to either participating or not. People are out-and-about, walking, jogging, biking, exercising their dogs.

While Highcroft Drive Elementary is a School of Excellence, the 'jury' seems to be out on whether parents like the year-round school concept, but they seem to make it work.

Highcroft is in the same general vicinity of the other areas mentioned. We down-sized from Carpenter Village, and I saw much of the same there, too.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:57 AM

119 posts, read 261,406 times
I grew up in Buckingham, right off old raleigh road, and I loved it. We had block parties and stuff. Shephards Vinyard pool is not in buckingham but is within walking distance and a pot of people have memberships there. I currently do not live there but when I lived there, there were a ton of kids. We had our own Apex High school bus there were so many of us. I also would recommend Scottish Hills. Scottish Hills is an older neighborhood but is really nice. It has a greenway and a neighborhood pool. I havent lived there in over 15 years so I dont know what it is like now in terms of children tho.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:35 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
I also live close by...my favorite developments on this side of 55 are Wellsley and West Park. Well established neighborhoods, lots of mature trees/landscape, greenways and neighborhood pools. Very nice homes in both places.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:34 PM

109 posts, read 343,007 times
I agree with ljd1010.
Very social and friendly with a lot of small kids.
I think you would even be in the same schools as Park Village (at least at Elem level)

Old 02-20-2010, 07:47 PM

498 posts, read 853,745 times
Carpenter Village is "kid central"! I swear we have two children born for any month of any year. You can walk down to the lake and feed the ducks or throw rocks in the water (popular with the preschool set), we have a pool and swim team, Carpenter Elementary and West Wake Regional Library are within walking distance, and there is a cute farm across the street for activities like a corn maze or picking out your Christmas tree. We also do an Easter Egg hunt, summer concert series where the kids all play and run around, and a Santa Breakfast. This last Halloween we had 180 at our house!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary