Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2006, 03:55 PM

693 posts, read 2,760,877 times

Advertisements

Anyone else into gardening? I cultivate orchids but I don't know much about other plants, lot to learn. Wondering which nice plants I can keep outside year round here in NC (Piedmont).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2006, 06:24 AM

312 posts, read 1,904,976 times
I'm curious about this one, too. I'm an avid gardener myself since young kid. Having been born and raised in Pittsburgh, lived in Florida for 20 years, and now I'm moving to Raleigh in 2 weeks. I do not know how to grow garden with red clay soil - but it looks like we might have to buy black soil to mix with red soil.

The only way I can figure out is to check out NC Dept of Arg website at www.agr.state.nc.us and search it there.

Old 07-29-2006, 09:34 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,644,872 times
One thing that excited me about moving to NC is the ability to be able to grow a wider variety of flowers. Here in south Fl, we are very limited. I found a site called southernliving.com that has a garden section that helps you pick the flowers for an area and has the zone map showing you what you can grow where. I found it through the garden section on AOL but I am sure you can access this website from anywhere. Anyway, in just a cursory check I found a lot of info. Hope this helps.

Old 07-29-2006, 09:50 AM

20 posts, read 44,019 times
From looking the USDA Hardiness Zone Map, it looks like the Piedmont area is Zone 7.

However, your best bet as to which plants will thrive in the temps, soil and water conditions that nature provides, you should go to a local nursery, look around and ask questions. I'm not talking about the plant section at Home Depot or Lowe's, but a real nursery, garden center or greenhouse. Also, if you're walking around your neighborhood and see someone working in their yard, you can always ask them for advice. Most gardeners love to share stories!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary