Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 04:42 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,895,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
And if you learned British English, remember that here "pavement" means the road surface, not the sidewalk as in England

When I first moved here I was told to look out for trick questions. Well, I thought I'd found one when it read something like - what do you do when your tires go off the pavement?" I thought, ah ha! That's a trick, you shouldn't be driving ON the pavement

Don't worry, the test is fine. It's not difficult, just stayed focused. Good luck!
I have this argument with my husband all the time. He's from Philly and there pavement means sidewalk. I'm from the Poconos in PA and pavement means the street or driveway, NOT sidewalk. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 04:51 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,848,820 times
Hmm... to me it's always meant both. Sidewalks are constructed of concrete "pavement." Roads are built with asphalt "pavement."

Old 02-18-2010, 05:47 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,835,776 times
I'm thinking if you have an International drivers license you might get by with just the vision and written?

JLurk - And yes, it way, way easier than the Brit test which most ppl fail the first time there. Here most ppl pass the first time!

Old 02-18-2010, 05:50 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,297,800 times
Q: If you rear end someone what do you do?

A) Pull over and exchange insurance and contact info
B) Drive away while the person you hit pulls off to a parking lot

Apparently quite a few people do B because my wife was rear ended by the car behind her which was rear ended by the car behind them today and when my wife pulled off the road everyone else kept going...

Old 02-18-2010, 07:04 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,855,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMM View Post
Thanks! And it's funny: I checked the meaning of "pavement" only few moments ago. I indeed studied British English and some words can be tricky. So pavement = road surface. Thank you once again!
I don't think there is a 'British English' - it's called the Queen's English The full list of 'English' words is contained in the Oxford English Dictionary as distinct from Websters or the Mickey Mouse Dictionary.

AskOxford: pavement
This gives the English description of the word pavement as well as the north American version - as someone famous once said "two nations divided by a common language"

Old 02-18-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
I don't think there is a 'British English' - it's called the Queen's English The full list of 'English' words is contained in the Oxford English Dictionary as distinct from Websters or the Mickey Mouse Dictionary.

AskOxford: pavement
This gives the English description of the word pavement as well as the north American version - as someone famous once said "two nations divided by a common language"
Trust me, the part of England I come from, we don't speak the Queen's English But we do speak British English. I'd never heard the Queen's term until I moved here. Who cares about the Queen anyhow?

Old 02-18-2010, 09:11 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,979,068 times
where are you coming from? I moved to TX 4 years ago and the test here was almost embarrassing.

Q: You are driving at night and start to get tired, what do you do?

1 - crank up the stereo
2 - set the a/c to the coldest setting
3 - stop and take a break.

Ummmm...I'm gonna have to think about that one for a while.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:08 AM

11 posts, read 53,938 times
J_Lurk - Thanks!

The European test was pretty awful: it was not enough to back - you needed to back between two cars in a narrow road, drive an obstacle course etc. But after the tes I´ve never done it again. I'm just so nervous about tests. Thank you! This made made me feel a little bit better.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:14 AM

11 posts, read 53,938 times
About British English. In Europe they talk about British English and American English. I'm used to these terms. It was a suprise to hear about Queen's English. Especially my Irish college has a big problem with that.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMM View Post
It was a suprise to hear about Queen's English. Especially my Irish college has a big problem with that.
With good reason, and many Brits do too There's irony in the fact that America's independence fight started around taxes; yet Brit Royalty has never paid taxes until a few yrs ago and that was a nominal offering. I guess my "mum" might be the richest woman in the world, rather than QE2, had my family had the same privilege.

I digress....sorry.

When they get into your car, make sure they fasten their seatbelt Check your mirrors or give the appearance you are doing this even if you have already done so before.

So for your test, remember to signal as you change lanes. Do the lane change properly - not like the rest of us

Always come to a full stop when you are supposed to, let them see your head nod side to side as you look for traffic even if the road is clear.

Be prepared for school buses on the road and them stopping and also you! Perhaps you could take your test at a time when you know they won't be on the road, or at least stopping...maybe 9-2?

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary