U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2010, 01:23 PM

12,451 posts, read 30,245,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunadesign View Post
We looked at houses there and while we were walking around with the sales person, we had to stop talking about every 90 seconds to wait for a plane to fly over. And they were LOW... you can practically see the passengers in the windows. We loved the homes but as a previous poster said they are very basic - all the models are really, really upgraded. I don't think we looked at one model that had less then 50K over the base price in upgrades. Everything we asked about we were told "no, that's an upgrade". It was very deceiving and very frustrating.
That was my point. If you don't know what you are getting in to when you go to look at new subdivisions, you can get easily confused.

Once you understand how KB prices things, which your Realtor should have explained to you, it becomes very easy to figure out what YOUR house is going to cost YOU.

Like another poster said, after a while, you don't notice the planes.

Vicki
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 02:52 PM

11 posts, read 24,441 times
thank you everyone

Old 02-18-2010, 02:59 PM

18 posts, read 67,351 times
Here is the landing page (pun intended) for the RDU Noise Map and homeowner map. I did look at Twin Lakes, the noise was very clear inside the homes to me. I chose Harmony by Pulte, we are just outside the noise map, on the west side of Highway 55, and still the planes can be heard, but almost never inside.

RDU Aircraft Noise Program

Old 02-18-2010, 03:54 PM

476 posts, read 1,560,243 times
I could NEVER get used to that level of audible assault. I find that the plane noise in that location in Morrisville (Kitts Creek to Twin Lakes, Chessington to Savannah) is impossible to ignore it is deafening over there.

Additionally, when I was over visiting friends the entire yard went pitch black as a plane flew over. It was really strange - like an eclipse! I know that is temporary but I didn't like the idea of having planes physically and directly overhead like that.

I don't know if there is any truth to it, but I have heard that the closer you are to the airport the more airplane fuel pollution you are exposed to as they often have to dump fuel prior to landings. Maybe it "evaporates" but IMHO I would try to get farther away from noise and the potential of more pollutants.

Definitely spend some time in the general vicinity before you choose to rent or buy.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:59 PM

9,197 posts, read 23,401,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks2007 View Post
II don't know if there is any truth to it, but I have heard that the closer you are to the airport the more airplane fuel pollution you are exposed to as they often have to dump fuel prior to landings. Maybe it "evaporates" but IMHO I would try to get farther away from noise and the potential of more pollutants.
It's even worse when they have to dump the lavatory tanks to cut down the weight for landing.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:25 PM

Default I so hope your wink is a wink...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
It's even worse when they have to dump the lavatory tanks to cut down the weight for landing.

OMG - there's a thought! I could come up with some witty replies for that, but I imagine I would get flagged in a NY second!

Old 02-18-2010, 04:33 PM

13,818 posts, read 24,685,638 times
Quote:

I don't know if there is any truth to it, but I have heard that the closer you are to the airport the more airplane fuel pollution you are exposed to as they often have to dump fuel prior to landings. Maybe it "evaporates" but IMHO I would try to get farther away from noise and the potential of more pollutants.
Not true really. There are possibly some situations where planes will have to dump fuel prior to landing but they are the bigger aircraft and Raleigh only has one or two of those a day. It's dumped if there is an emergency and generally takes place over the ocean. No plane will be dumping $2.50/gal jet fuel over your home, that close to the airport...I promise.

As far as the lav goes, as far as I know they are all completely self contained, and do not dump overboard.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:38 PM

502 posts, read 1,178,712 times
Quote:
I could NEVER get used to that level of audible assault. I find that the plane noise in that location in Morrisville (Kitts Creek to Twin Lakes, Chessington to Savannah) is impossible to ignore it is deafening over there.
As someone who actually lived in the Savannah subdivision, I can state that the planes were not a problem at all. No one in my family nor any guest was ever disturbed. In fact, the only noise that ever woke us up was a neighbor who liked to mow his lawn before 7 am.

That said, I used to jog over to Twin Lakes in the mornings and wow...the planes are very low and loud. It amazed me how much of a difference there was in noise just a mile or so from the house I was renting in Savannah.

A bit of noise pollution is the price for incredible convenience.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:27 PM

Thanks for clarifying the Savannah noise level. It must have been an off route or schedule! The obvious correlation is the closer you are to the airport the louder it will be.

You are right that the convenience (in the shape of proximity to the airport) has its audible cost.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:43 PM

502 posts, read 1,178,712 times
I actually meant convenience to RTP. Sorry...I should have clarified. We actually considered buying a new construction home in Savannah, but decided against it after hearing horror stories about DR Horton's warranty process.

To the op, you should definitely spend a good amount of time at different times of the day in any neighborhood you are considering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary