U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 09:42 AM

11 posts, read 24,448 times

Advertisements

Hello, We are from Boston and moving down to NC April 1st and of course do not know Cary that well. My husband will be working at RTP. Can anyone tell me if Twin Lakes is NOT a good area due to LOUD Noise from the planes. I am fine with a little noise but some posts claimed you could not carry on a conversation while a plane is overheard.
Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 10:00 AM

9,197 posts, read 23,410,924 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...y-airport.html

Old 02-18-2010, 11:18 AM

5,565 posts, read 16,405,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxjohn View Post
Can anyone tell me if Twin Lakes is NOT a good area due to LOUD Noise from the planes.
Yes. It is directly under the flight path.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:27 AM

220 posts, read 814,791 times
We went to look at this neighborhood, and while I think KB is an awful builder, we seriously considered building with them. BUT we couldn't get over the noise there! When we asked the salesman if the noise bothered him, he said not at all. But we noticed and pointed out that all the models have rather loud classical music playing at all times, if that tells you anything!!!

Old 02-18-2010, 11:29 AM

204 posts, read 801,342 times
I've been there several times when a plane flew overhead. Very loud. And I agree that KB is not your best choice of builders. I wouldn't build/live there.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:32 AM

133 posts, read 370,710 times
YES! Be ready for lots of noise there.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:37 AM

12,451 posts, read 30,256,969 times
It IS in the flight path but you cannot hear the planes from inside the homes.

Twin Lakes is very popular neighborhood and you should judge for yourself if the planes bother you since noise is subjective. Some people are willing to overlook somethings to get the location they want. With the proximatey to RTP, homes in Twin Lakes sell well.

KB is no better nor no worse than any of the other production builders IF you know what you are doing! By that, I mean knowing how to negotiate with them is a big plus. Knowing the comps so that you do not overpay is helpful. With KB, you get a VERY BASIC home and you need to know that most people will add between 10% to 20% in upgrades to make the home the way they want it. If you know this, going in, you know that you are not going to get a home for the base price...you'll add the upgrades.

Vicki

Old 02-18-2010, 12:09 PM

4 posts, read 22,345 times
We bought our home in Twin Lakes 6 months back. For the first two to three weeks we kind of heard the plane sound(may be we paid too much attention to what we have read about the plane noice) but after that unless you are in your yard and paying attention to it, it doesn't bother you. On the other hand, this location is very close to RTP and near by shopping which makes this inconvenience negligible

Old 02-18-2010, 12:25 PM

997 posts, read 4,425,542 times
Have you looked into Breckenridge? I like the neighborhood. It's built by Pulte. Not new but newer. It is down the street from Twin Lakes off Davis Drive near 540. So be careful with some of the lots. The amenities are nice. I also like Pulte floorplans better than KB. You could get a nice home for the $$$. The planes don't bother me as much in Breckenridge as they do in Twin Lakes. They still fly overhead though. Something you can't avoid in the area.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:31 PM

306 posts, read 829,046 times
We looked at houses there and while we were walking around with the sales person, we had to stop talking about every 90 seconds to wait for a plane to fly over. And they were LOW... you can practically see the passengers in the windows. We loved the homes but as a previous poster said they are very basic - all the models are really, really upgraded. I don't think we looked at one model that had less then 50K over the base price in upgrades. Everything we asked about we were told "no, that's an upgrade". It was very deceiving and very frustrating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary