Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 10:06 AM

133 posts, read 393,478 times

Advertisements

If you have a late elementary or middle school age child with high-functioning autism (i.e., if you didn't know him you'd think he was just very quiet and rather obstinate), and your child has an IEP for this, would you expect his teacher to say things like "I expect him to act like a student in my class, or at least look the part." Or this: "If he continues to come into my class and do nothing, I will mark him late for class and if he's late 3 times he'll go to ASD, after-school detention." Now, while I understand this teacher's frustration with having not been successful in getting my son to behave like the others (he's not disruptive; just quiet and non-communicative and doesn't do classwork a lot of the time), I can't help but feel that this teacher is not understanding that my son has a real learning issue and is not just having some teenage "attitude." Anyone else have experience with Wake County teachers and this type of problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 10:49 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,245 times
Obviously, I was not there and have no way of knowing if the teacher was behaving appropriately or not. However, I will say that the teachers in the autistic program at my high school are well-trained and experienced. They treat the students as much like every other student as possible. They expect them to reach their full potential so that they can become self-sufficient by their early 20s. Is it possible that this teacher is using a bit of that strategy to help your son in the long run?

Old 02-20-2010, 11:22 AM

467 posts, read 1,774,424 times
I have been a teacher with high functioning autistic kids in my class, and am pretty bothered by what your son's teacher has said. I will say I taught high school, so fall out of the age range given. But I would expect better from a teacher, and at the very least, this person should talk to the special ed person in the school who holds your child's folder to get some suggestions, if he has little experience with autistic kids. Every kid requires different strategies - clearly his 'tough love' approach isn't one that flies with your son - I'd request a meeting w/ the teacher and the person who is your son's special ed contact in the school to get everyone on the same page. Could be the teacher doesn't get that one high functioning autistic kid and another are not the same.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:43 PM

997 posts, read 4,644,586 times
I have experienced the same thing. I had a teacher tell me that if my speical needs son (who is not a discipline problem either) cannot do the work or participate in class that she doesn't want him there. This actually took place in an IEP meeting.

I don't know if it's pure laziness on the teachers part to work with these kids or they are just not educated themselves on how to deal children who have special needs.

In a recent thread someone copied an e-mail that went out to an entire class by accident (was only supposed to go to the counselor) asking the counselor to waste her time and talk to a boy that has been off task for 240 days because she has no more patience. I'm not a doctor but if a child has been off task for that long it seems that something else may be going on. The teacher should have referred this child for a full evaluation long ago. That poor child.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:04 PM

133 posts, read 393,478 times
Do you know what's reasonable to expect in a public school setting for a situation like mine? I feel that my son is just not getting the education he should have because nobody has the time, interest or experience or patience to figure out how to relate to my Autistic son and teach him in a way that will work fir him. I wish I had the money to private school him but it's just not possible. Also, since he is high functioning and it's not an overtly obvious learning disorder, I don't know really where he would fit in anyway. It seems that IEPs are pretty useless.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:40 PM

645 posts, read 1,503,434 times
35 kids in a class, kids with all types of issues, young weak teachers, low pay, stress from bad administrators, you got problems all around.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:59 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,147,676 times
I don't have experience, but I have a family member with two high-functioning autistic kids, and they ultimately pulled them from WCPSS and are home-schooling. There's a pretty active secular home-schooling community in Wake County if that route interests you. In general it seems there is wide wide variation in teacher competence and responsiveness.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:31 PM

467 posts, read 1,774,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby1234 View Post
Do you know what's reasonable to expect in a public school setting for a situation like mine? I feel that my son is just not getting the education he should have because nobody has the time, interest or experience or patience to figure out how to relate to my Autistic son and teach him in a way that will work fir him. I wish I had the money to private school him but it's just not possible. Also, since he is high functioning and it's not an overtly obvious learning disorder, I don't know really where he would fit in anyway. It seems that IEPs are pretty useless.
Touch base w/ the person in your son's school who is in charge of his 'case' - the special ed. rep who runs his IEP meetings. Ask for some intervention w/ the teacher. If that doesn't work - ask for a meeting w/ the teacher and the special ed person.

The most recent child that I taught who sounds like your son, I checked his journal each day and signed off on it - mom did the same, so we were on the same page. He also had a tutor that I emailed regularly so that she knew what was happening in the room. I spoke regularly w/ his special ed person in the school to get a feel for him, his history, triggers, etc, and worked a great relationship with him.

You have the right to expect all of those things.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:56 AM

484 posts, read 1,367,288 times
I have a 7th grade High Functioning Autistic child. The school and he IEP team this year are doing a wonderful job. It was not always this way though. It's been a road. Trust me. I can understand your frustrations.

I hope it is okay to leave this link. I'm not sure if it specifically addresses your need, but it does have the Sr. Administrator's number for the office of Special Education. I would call together an IEP meeting first and make sure that Teacher you mentioned attends as well as the Principal.

FAQ: What do I do if my child is not receiving modifications or if other portions of the IEP are not being implemented? (http://www.wcpss.net/faqs/95.html - broken link)

Maybe a smaller class setting would make your child a little more comfortable and he might be able to concentrate better and in doing his tasks in class. This can be an idea for you to bring up at your IEP meeting, or as if they have a C/A class

My child has a tendency to zone out sometimes. She is not quick to answer or ask questions in class either. She has C/A which is curriculum assistance class. It has helped her so much. The Teacher helps a small class of students with assignments and they read A/R together sometimes, help with organization of their binders. Maybe something like this would help your child. She also has resource math.

There is also another Teacher who became involved with my daughter's case. She peeks in at her at classes every now and than, and holds a lunch bunch at lunch times once per week and really looks after her. I beleive she said it was called Supportive Services. It is new as of this year.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:27 PM

475 posts, read 1,304,832 times
As a high school teacher I can understand the fustration all around. It's VERY difficult when you have 35 kids in the room, 5-7 with IEP's, and no real help( there is no support unless your teaching math or english). The statement about marking your child late is WAY out of line. In fact I'm pretty sure your child's teacher can't do that legally anyway. If your childs teacher does mark your child late for not doing work check with your case manager or principal and get that sorted out.

As for your son, is there something that motivates him? If so, communicate that with the teacher, or maybe he needs to complete his assignments in a different room so he isn't distracted.

When you ask him about the assignments what does he say, does he remember to do them, is he lost and does not know how to do them? You need to find out why he isn't participating. Not doing classwork AT all is a real issue and a recipe for disaster as your child isn't learning which is the ultimate goal.

If the public school setting isn't working. I'd pull my child out and home school or find another alternative. That might mean moving to a smaller home, doing without some things, my child would come first at all cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary