Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 08:17 AM

17 posts, read 58,119 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at the NPR website to find NPR stations when I come down to RTP. I live in Mass and WBUR has been a great asset here (I'll listen to it streamed forever, I think). I am looking for something like that down in that area. It seems like most of the NPR stations are jazz or some other music format and not all news/NPR stories all the time. Is that really the case (especially those transplants who listened to WBUR)?

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 08:45 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,960,165 times
WUNC 91.5 is what you are looking for.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:54 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,274 times
WUNC is great! Lots of programming!

You can stream them too
North Carolina Public Radio WUNC

Old 05-31-2007, 09:06 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmxavier View Post
I have been looking at the NPR website to find NPR stations when I come down to RTP. I live in Mass and WBUR has been a great asset here (I'll listen to it streamed forever, I think). I am looking for something like that down in that area. It seems like most of the NPR stations are jazz or some other music format and not all news/NPR stories all the time. Is that really the case (especially those transplants who listened to WBUR)?

TIA!
You're in luck! WUNC 91.5 is a 24-hour NPR news/talk station. As a matter of fact, "The Story with Dick Gordon" -- late of WBUR, before B.U. cut back the news operations and got rid of Gordon's "The Connection" -- originates from WUNC and is now a national program. Gordon moved to Chapel Hill in the wake of a major fundraising drive to bring him to the Triangle.

In addition to Morning Addition/ATC, WUNC is very similar to WBUR -- Diane Rehm in the mornings, Day to Day and Talk of the Nation in the afternoon (along with The Story and another local origination program, The State of Things with former NPRer Frank Stasio). Of course All Things Considered, Marketplace, and Fresh Air too. Overnights are the BBC World Service.

I'm an ex-Cantab who figured I'd miss WBUR when I moved down here. I've been glad to have been proven wrong.

— North Carolina Public Radio WUNC

Old 05-31-2007, 09:17 AM

17 posts, read 58,119 times
OK, I am ready to move now. Thanks for the info.

Old 05-31-2007, 12:56 PM

265 posts, read 1,292,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
As a matter of fact, "The Story with Dick Gordon" -- late of WBUR, before B.U. cut back the news operations and got rid of Gordon's "The Connection" -- originates from WUNC and is now a national program.
Actually, it was Christopher Lydon's "The Connection" and WBUR cancelled the programming when he wanted to syndicate as his own show. Not sure who Dick Gordon is, but I suspect I'll learn quick enough when I start tuning in to WUNC. Thanks for the great links.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:05 PM

93 posts, read 698,500 times
Its 2007! Get sattelite radio already!

There are 2 NPR Channels on my Sirius, along with about 12 other news channels.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:55 PM

842 posts, read 3,228,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
You're in luck! WUNC 91.5 is a 24-hour NPR news/talk station. As a matter of fact, "The Story with Dick Gordon" -- late of WBUR, before B.U. cut back the news operations and got rid of Gordon's "The Connection" -- originates from WUNC and is now a national program. Gordon moved to Chapel Hill in the wake of a major fundraising drive to bring him to the Triangle.

In addition to Morning Addition/ATC, WUNC is very similar to WBUR -- Diane Rehm in the mornings, Day to Day and Talk of the Nation in the afternoon (along with The Story and another local origination program, The State of Things with former NPRer Frank Stasio). Of course All Things Considered, Marketplace, and Fresh Air too. Overnights are the BBC World Service.

I'm an ex-Cantab who figured I'd miss WBUR when I moved down here. I've been glad to have been proven wrong.

— North Carolina Public Radio WUNC

Well...it's not 24-hour news is it? You've got Back-Porch music in the evenings (8pm-11pm?) which is essentually 'in-the-heart-of-West-Virginia'
music (think of the music portion of Deliverance).
And then during the weekends, there's not alot of news (Car Talk, which I like, and Prarie Home Companion, which I'm not fond of...but it's better than listening to G105).

Old 05-31-2007, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PudelPie View Post
Actually, it was Christopher Lydon's "The Connection" and WBUR cancelled the programming when he wanted to syndicate as his own show. Not sure who Dick Gordon is, but I suspect I'll learn quick enough when I start tuning in to WUNC. Thanks for the great links.
Well, actually...

Christopher Lydon *was* the original host of The Connection in the 1990s. He asked for more money and more control in 2001, and WBUR management let Lydon go.

WBUR management brought in several hosts for on-air tryouts. Dick Gordon, a former broadcaster with the CBC in Canada, was chosen from all the applicants based on public feedback. He helmed the show for several years before WBUR's general manager was fired over financial/management issues. Gordon was let go shortly thereafter.

Here's an article from The Boston Phoenix on the matter:
News & Features | Dis-Connection (broken link)

...ok, I'm a public radio geek. I admit it!

Old 05-31-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
Well...it's not 24-hour news is it? You've got Back-Porch music in the evenings (8pm-11pm?) which is essentually 'in-the-heart-of-West-Virginia'
music (think of the music portion of Deliverance).
And then during the weekends, there's not alot of news (Car Talk, which I like, and Prarie Home Companion, which I'm not fond of...but it's better than listening to G105).
The Back Porch Music -- which is a very popular and successful local show -- is in the evenings only Fri-Sun evenings. I didn't count Car Talk, Wait Wait, This American Life, and APHC just because practically every "news/talk" NPR station has them.

Don't know that I would call BPM 'Deliverance' style music... then again, I kinda like that music, so I'm a bit biased. And actually, a lot of their music is picked not because it hails from the Mountaineer State, but for its North Carolina roots.

Yikes... I picked the wrong thread to post on today!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary