Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 12:09 PM

89 posts, read 961,270 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am new to Raleigh (from MA-no surprise there, huh?). Anyway, I've been in my new house a week, and there are tiny black ants with wings coming out of the cracking grout in the master bathtub. I called a pest control company, and they won't be able to come out until next week. Does anyone have any experience with these nasty little things? Are they hard to control? I don't like to think of them in our water supply, but that's what it sounds like, although they aren't in either of the other bathrooms. Please tell me they're easily treatable. My hubby is in Iraq, and I've already seen about a half a dozen (mostly dead) giant roaches, and I'm used to having him around to squish bugs for me! I literally can't sleep at night thinking that one of those scary things might be hiding in the shadows. Help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 12:37 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesslikeska View Post
Hello. I am new to Raleigh (from MA-no surprise there, huh?). Anyway, I've been in my new house a week, and there are tiny black ants with wings coming out of the cracking grout in the master bathtub. I called a pest control company, and they won't be able to come out until next week. Does anyone have any experience with these nasty little things? Are they hard to control? I don't like to think of them in our water supply, but that's what it sounds like, although they aren't in either of the other bathrooms. Please tell me they're easily treatable. My hubby is in Iraq, and I've already seen about a half a dozen (mostly dead) giant roaches, and I'm used to having him around to squish bugs for me! I literally can't sleep at night thinking that one of those scary things might be hiding in the shadows. Help!!
1. You should not have to wait a week. Call another pest company that offers service. I like Lee and the boys at Custom Termite and Pest Control in Raleigh. But there are a lot of good ones. And if you are seeing that many roaches, you need to get someone in pronto to get it under control.
2. The ants are not in your water supply. Don't worry about that. They may be in that area because there is some moisture leaking into the grout area.

Is it a NEW new house, or did you buy an existing house?

Old 05-31-2007, 12:56 PM

It's an older home-1988. I think the week is because I am a new customer. The company is called Home Team Pest Defense. My neighbors on both sides use them, and say they are great. As for the roaches, as scared as I am of them, the house was empty for 3 months while I was finishing up school in NY, and of the half dozen I have seen a few of them were already long dead and laying around when I finally got here. I've seen a few live ones, but I put out some of those roach traps, and they were barely alive, and flipped over on there back when I found them in the morning. Only one was alive and well, and that was on the day that I moved in, and I almost had a heart attack. I thought the big ones lived outside, and just must have gotten in somehow during moving or whatever... do these big ones infest your house like the little ones??? I hope not I was hoping I could just attribute the ones that I saw to the house being empty for all those months, and living on a wooded lot.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:02 PM

93 posts, read 698,500 times
the winged bugs dont look like this do they?

That picture is of termites! I hope thats not it.

They are not in your water supply though so dont worry about that.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:04 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,515,154 times
There are also water bugs (as I call them) that look like giant cockroaches but in fact are not. I notice them especially on my patio when I water my small garden in the hot summer months.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:16 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
There are tiny black ants with wings coming out of the cracking grout in the master bathtub.
Uh Oh! That doesn't sound good. Termites like damp places and they swarm in the spring and early summer. Did you have a termite inspection as part of your home purchase?

Old 05-31-2007, 09:12 PM

We did have a termite inspection, and the house was spot treated prior to closing for a small colony without any structural damage. I'm pretty sure that what I'm seeing is ants, and not termites. I spent about an hr. comparing them to different pics online today, and they just look like tiny winged ants. There wings aren't as big as termites, and I read on one site that termite wings come off very easily just by touch, and I had to yank the wings off these bad boys (gross, I know, but I wanted to be sure!). Anyway, I think I'll contact the previous owners and ask if they know anything about these bugs. Also, they didn't leave any kind of info about the termite situation, so I should look into that too, and be sure that they don't come back.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:21 PM

93 posts, read 698,500 times
Quote:
I read on one site that termite wings come off very easily just by touch, and I had to yank the wings off these bad boys (gross, I know, but I wanted to be sure!).
You ripped their tiny little wings out of their sockets! The HORROR!

But seriously, this link... Flying Ants, Winged Termites, Winged Ants, Flying Termite may be of help to you.
It is a comparison between Termites & Winged Ants complete with pictures.

Basically if the body is made up of 3 sections, its a winged ant, If it just has an abdomen section and a head, its a Termite.

Hope that puts you at ease!

Old 05-31-2007, 10:12 PM

56 posts, read 414,304 times
They've been in my house fot two weeks now. Been here five years and this is the first time I have seen any winged ants in my house. I am usually swamped with black ants every year. I just need to get some more terro and that should get rid of them....I hope

Old 05-31-2007, 10:58 PM

Not that I'm glad that you have them, but I'm glad that I'm not the only one. Knowing my luck it would be some new bizarre species that is flesh eating or something. Oh... and they were already dead when I pulled the wings out, haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary