Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 02:35 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,755,862 times

Advertisements

Thougth this was interesting:
"North Carolina hot dogs are served with chili and cole slaw, mustard, and onions. Most vendors use cole slaw, but some places use a tomato-based variation called BBQ slaw, which may be a western North Carolina variant. This style is called all the way. Carolina Packers, a small company in Johnston County produces locally-famous skinless red-hot dogs."

And here is a link (no pun intended ) to Carolina Packers:
http://www.carolinapackers.com/index.shtml
It doesn't say what the red hot dogs are made out of. But it has a cute photo of a kid dressed up like a red hot dog.

BTW, anyone had hot dogs like Wikipedia described? I've never tried them that way but it sounds good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 03:06 PM

123 posts, read 485,976 times
At Smithfield's Bar-B-Q you can also get a kid's meal with (as my 3 year old daughter calls it) a "pink hot dog" - the great southern red one. Now that kid's meal also comes with a mini-Moon Pie. Now you're talkin'....Start the kids early!!

Old 06-01-2007, 07:48 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesslikeska View Post
I am originally from Massachusetts, and my family regularly vacationed in Maine when I was young, and Maine has the red hot dogs too. Are they the kind with the "intestinal lining" skin that kind of snaps when you bite into them? I know it sounds gross, but I don't even like most hot dogs, and I'll admit that those ones are tasty.

Jess my parents are from Maine, and we grew up eating those red hotdogs from Maine. We called them Jordans. We even ate them uncooked. Sounds gross, but I can still eat them that way.

Old 06-03-2007, 04:42 PM

46 posts, read 132,094 times
Default Hotdogs

Being from central NY, we always bring back a 3 lb. bag of Hoffmann's or Salen's hotdogs. O'Dwyers on Rogers Rd in Wake Forest sell the best to cover us until we replenish our stash from home.

Old 06-03-2007, 04:53 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieF View Post
Jess my parents are from Maine, and we grew up eating those red hotdogs from Maine. We called them Jordans. We even ate them uncooked. Sounds gross, but I can still eat them that way.
Debbie I remember eating them uncooked! I think back on it now and get a little grossed out, but I used to love it!

Leigh

Old 06-03-2007, 08:10 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,074 times
:-) I still do love it when I go there. I'll be up sometime this summer. You know I'll have to get a Maine red hot dog.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:10 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,900,886 times
Having worked food service jobs in my younger years, I quickly got used to tourists to Maine asking "What is wrong with those hot dogs?", "Oh no- we didn't want the sausage", and "Umm.. Are they lobster flavored or something?"

I can't eat any other hot dogs- The texture is too... puffy.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:02 PM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,259,462 times
Hebrew Nation brats on the grill topped with some ketchup and authentic Stadium Mustard. I bought 3 bottles of Stadium Mustard last time I went up north.

I had the pleasure of working in a slaughterhouse over a summer in college. For two weeks I was on the hot dog production line. You really REALLY don't want to know how the mass-consumption hot dogs are made. I didn't eat any for maybe 10 years, and still limit it to baseball games and the HN's on the grill.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:22 PM

959 posts, read 4,493,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tee-tee View Post
Hebrew Nation brats on the grill topped with some ketchup and authentic Stadium Mustard. I bought 3 bottles of Stadium Mustard last time I went up north.

I had the pleasure of working in a slaughterhouse over a summer in college. For two weeks I was on the hot dog production line. You really REALLY don't want to know how the mass-consumption hot dogs are made. I didn't eat any for maybe 10 years, and still limit it to baseball games and the HN's on the grill.
Ugh, and I just bought some buns for the oscar meyers I have in the freezer

Old 06-04-2007, 08:37 PM

174 posts, read 196,384 times
Snoopy's. Only Yankees eat Nathan's and Hebrew National.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary