Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 10:41 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times

Advertisements

Now that spring is approaching, are you hiring somebody to do your landscaping projects? Or, are you going to tackle them by yourself. What are you planning on doing? Sod, mulch, stones, retaining walls, pavers, patios, etc. Whatever it is, what are your plans? Please share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 11:03 AM

932 posts, read 3,097,547 times
We like to do the work ourselves. There's somthing about digging in the dirt that makes me feel good. We started this weeked with the repair of our privacy fence. It turned out about $300 cheaper for us to do it ourselves. It was the perfect weekend for it.

After the rain passes this week I'm headed to BJ's for mulch for my front flower garden. Our front walk is mainly pebbles with stepping stones; I'd like to replace it with bricks this year. I also want to put some pavers at the foot of our back deck where a small puddle forms. Our side yard is due for a bit of care too. The husband will be doing a bit of landscaping there. Also we had a crabgrass invasion last year and we need to take care of that. Bring on the spring, I'm ready to get to work!

Old 02-23-2010, 01:12 PM

449 posts, read 699,937 times
Smile We're so ready for this!

Going to do much of a yard renovation ourselves... not a big yard, though ;-)

We do need a small retaining wall with stairsteps in the center (3-4 steps, not really high), probably out of brick... that we'll have done, I think. Now I have to find good people who do this kind of work.

I have piles of 'stuff' I've been collecting as I can find good deals, flagstone, a couple of really big ceramic pots, other rocks, etc. It will be fun to put it all out.

We have a small curly willow tree in the center of a front yard section, I've read that this is not a good choice for near a house, with not a lot of space (the previous owner put it in), so we want to tear it out. Hopefully it is not too difficult.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:14 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,401 times
We're hiring a landscape architect to do design and installation. DH and I hate working in the yard!!

Old 02-23-2010, 01:33 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,908 times
I love working in my yard, but hired someone to do some major planting during the past few months. I started off with a few trees - Cleveland Select Pear, crepe myrtle, two junipers, and a holly. After that I had a total of four beds done mostly with evergreens such as Indian Hawthorne, Firepower Nandina, junipers, rhododendron, and a laurel. I also added two camelias to my shady backyard for color, as well as a few evergreens. Finally I had three variegated privet planted at the edge of the utility easement that my property backs up to - I'm hoping that I can gain a bit of privacy that way. It wound up being ~30 plants total, and I'm very happy with how it came out. I can't wait for the warm weather when everything will start to grow. I do plan on adding more some annuals for color, as well as some more bird/butterfly friendly options. I sort of wish I had more sunny space to work with, but I'm having fun researching shade options.

Eventually my house with be the envy of the culdesac! :-)

Old 02-23-2010, 08:15 PM

133 posts, read 393,498 times
Does anyone have any suggestions about how to best work with our hard as a rock clay soil? Tips for easy ways to dig it up for flower beds?

Old 02-23-2010, 08:32 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby1234 View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions about how to best work with our hard as a rock clay soil? Tips for easy ways to dig it up for flower beds?
Water it / let it rain first. It comes up easy once it gets some water in it.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:35 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby1234 View Post
Water it / let it rain first. It comes up easy once it gets some water in it.

Also get one of these:

Looks scary but it works well

Old 02-23-2010, 09:02 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,342,526 times
I generally like to tackle them myself...sometimes they tackle me! Sometimes my plans are bigger then my budget! Last year I put in a driveway extension. I knew nothing about what stone to use but with a few Google clicks I found the stone to use as well as a place to deliver it. I spread it by hand by day and in my dreams by night! I guess I bought to much! I had blisters on my hands that had blisters on them. I sweat so much I think Falls Lake went up 1/4 of an inch! Got a sweat band?

But when it was done I was able to pass out...scratch that....I was able to sit back and admire my now stone extension driveway. Would I do it again....in a Bobcat, dump truck, and 4-person minute!

But this year it will be fall projects for this Oh I miss my Wake Forest town-er!

Old 02-24-2010, 05:11 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,423,346 times
We live in a townhome community - no more landscaping upkeep for us! We do plant lots of flowers, put up hanging pots and keep the birdfeeders filled!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary