Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 01:14 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,271,231 times

Advertisements

So we are moving to NC. My husbands employer-to-be is being amazingly accommodating so we get to stay in TX until school finishes. I've been online checking things out and I have ideas about where to live but would like some more "insider" knowledge.

What I'm leaving is suburban living in a city that really doesn't have much TX/western/southern feel AT ALL. It's lots of transplants from other states and a neighboring country. In fact if there were any cultural flavor at all it would be from south of the border. People in my part of town have gotten a little too presumptuous for me. People, for the most part, drive fancy SUVS (and I'm stuck in one until the lease runs out too ) and it's rush rush rush. The influx from our neighboring country were, at least in this neighborhood, very wealthy people who unfortunately aren't particularly friendly and are lacking in southern/country manners. They are however disgustingly attractive, fit and well dressed making me feel like I should be trying to keep up. (I've read this 5 times trying to figure out how to say it without insulting a nationality. It's a socioeconomic group that's the issue not everyone from that country--Paris Hilton and the Kardashians wear on me too, I just don't live near them)

I like city amenities but I'd love to live somewhere with a smaller feel and friendly people. My husband wants to live near the Lifetime which is in Cary and he will work in Garner. We are attracted to Holly Springs but looking at pictures online doesn't always tell the true story. As I said I live in a huge city now but I lived 8 years in a smaller, but not too small, city and I miss that lifestyle. I don't care about racial demographics at all(as in I don't care what you look like just who you are) I'm just looking for a friendly place where a middle-class SAHM can find some family friends, a good church, and nice neighbors.

My husband will be scouting around in April then we'll all go out to find a place in May. We will probably rent at first as we're not sure if we can sell our house here. Any input on where he should start looking? Oh, and thanks to this forum I'm completely aware of the school situation in Wake County and we'll deal with it if we end up there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 02:26 PM

275 posts, read 396,646 times
I moved back to NC last year after 20 years in Florida. My advice is A) don't live in Garner. Nothing is out here. It adds travel time to go anywhere west. B) If you don't like presumptuous people who drive SUVs and rush, rush, rush; consider living somewhere other than Cary. This describes a large percentage of people I have encountered there. I learned quickly not to go to Cary on the weekends because it gave me flashbacks to South Florida. I have spent some time in Holly Springs, and it is one of my dream communities. Reminds me of where I grew up in NC many years ago.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:47 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,812,025 times
Quote:
It's lots of transplants from other states
You've just described most of the Triangle area. Some areas such as Cary have little "Southernness" left, if that's what you want. Garner is the most reliably "Southern" part of Wake County right now, and if that where his work will be, it would make sense to live there. I also love Smithfield, an easy commute to Garner but would be a hike to Cary.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:54 PM

5,742 posts, read 17,592,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelnikov View Post
I moved back to NC last year after 20 years in Florida. My advice is A) don't live in Garner. Nothing is out here. It adds travel time to go anywhere west.
My wife was born and raised in TX. She lived in Dallas suburbs her whole life (35+ years). I moved to TX when I graduated from college and lived there for 20+ years. When we moved here and bought a house here 3 years ago, we chose an area a bit southwest of Garner. The area is referred to as "Swift Creek" and it is not contained within any city's limits. It is in unincorporated Wake County. The benefit is that there is no city tax on your home, the lots tend to be bigger, and you don't run into a convenience store, Pizza Hut, and Wal-Mart on every corner because it is in a protected watershed area that discourages commercial development. We are about 15 minutes to downtown Raleigh and 15 minutes to Cary's Crossroads Mall.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:06 PM

213 posts, read 697,860 times
I just moved from Cary to a Texas suburb (near Dallas). From what I notice, the two areas are similar in that they are both relatively new, with a primarily middle to upper middle class population. There is new wealth abound in both cities. With that, you will have some of the typical suburban amentities that would find anywhere else (chain stores, restaurants, SUV's, ect.)

However, the similarities stop there. You are bound to get CDers on here that claim Cary is "pretentious". You however, being from one of the largest metros in the nation, will not find it to be such. Relative to many other wealthy suburbs of major metro areas, Cary is extremely laid back.

In terms of beauty, Cary is unlike any other TX burb that I have seen, save maybe Austin's. You may have a lot of trouble navigating Cary (and Wake County) at first, because you will notice that VERY FEW streets in the cities are on a grid system, like in Texas.

There is without a doubt, no comparison in terms of aesthetic beauty of Cary (and Wake County) compared to TX burbs as well. After coming from NC, TX burbs are downright UGLY, crowded, flat, brown, treeless, lifeless, concrete and strip mall messes. Large parts of Wake County on the other hand (ESPECIALLY Cary), have heavily manicured and master planned landscaping throughout areas (Cary almost in the entire city!), greaty adding to the appeal.

Though ethnic diversity IS in Wake County, it's not quite to the level it is in the major metro areas of TX. There was a large influx of Mexican immigrants due to the housing boom, but that has subsided. You will also see pockets of Eastern culture here and there, but again, not the thriving communities that you see in Houston/Dallas (not sure about San Antonio).

The only thing that I didn't like about Cary, is it is definitely a sleepy, family oriented place (I am single). Almost the entire city shuts down at 8-9 PM, and everywhere you go, it seems like you see the "typical" married and 2.5 kids with beige house and SUV type of families.

If you are looking for a nice mid/small town atmosphere though, I think you would like it. Again, the keeping up with the Jones' atmosphere is blown WAY out of proportion on this forum, and is no where near as bad as what you would see in most upper-middle class suburbs in the United States.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:41 PM

5,742 posts, read 17,592,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
There is without a doubt, no comparison in terms of aesthetic beauty of Cary (and Wake County) compared to TX burbs as well. After coming from NC, TX burbs are downright UGLY, crowded, flat, brown, treeless, lifeless, concrete and strip mall messes. Large parts of Wake County on the other hand (ESPECIALLY Cary), have heavily manicured and master planned landscaping throughout areas (Cary almost in the entire city!), greaty adding to the appeal.
EXACTLY!!!!! Why do you think we moved here 3 years ago?

Old 02-23-2010, 06:30 PM

We actually have a yard full of oak trees as we are on the edge of SA thus essentially in the hill country. I realize that's not going to compare to NC but I'm pretty sure it's prettier then Dallas--sorry Big D I do love you, but you are flat! As far as nationalities I have no issue except for those super rich people that all moved into my "neighborhood" a few years back (with more coming). I understand their country is dangerous I just wish they'd remember we don't all work for them. The people who do "work for them" are generally pretty nice.

I was wondering if perhaps the Cary/Apex/Holly Springs are had lost all it's southerness/countryness/friendliness--whatever you want to call it. It does seem that way on alot of the threads I read so I appreciate the input. I have read alot about the non-NC people in the Raleigh area although is seems most moved for a better lifestyle so I'm thinking that is a good thing. I'll have to tell my husband to keep an eye out for Swift Creek on his search.

Rumble--you seem unhappy in Texas and I'm sorry. It can be ugly but I've heard the people are nice. Maybe you need to venture out of town for awhile. Once spring hits visit some of the towns in the hill country. The bluebonnets are, in my opinion, the most beautiful flower in the world--especially if sprinkled with red indian blankets. I hope you learn to love it like I'm hoping I will love NC. We're short .5 kids but I think we would fit in well in the Cary you described.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:53 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,986,268 times
I am also moving from TX (Frisco) to NC in June and we have been looking at Cary. Maybe we can exchange some research info

Old 02-23-2010, 07:57 PM

Great idea. I always notice your posts because that was my mother's blood type and I know how important it is. She died 4 1/2 years ago or we wouldn't be considering this move--unless she came with us of course.

Since my husband will be there before me I'll let you in on what he finds!

Old 02-23-2010, 07:59 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,986,268 times
We are going mid march for a school/house hunting trip...I'll also report back to you what we "find"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary