Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 06:16 AM

56 posts, read 198,051 times

Advertisements

I have tried to experiment a little with group rates in the past and I think it is a great idea (win-win for customers and reputable contractors). Also, it ensures quality from us contractors as we will want to make sure everyone is extremely satisfied so we can stay in the neighborhood's good graces....the only problem I have had is that it really only ends up being a few houses willing to pay for the work in the same relative timeframe (such as a new roof or HVAC replacement on outdated inefficient units). Most prefer to only do it when it is absolutely necessary (multiple leaks beyond small repairs or HVAC unit totally stops working and repair is expensive). Then the deep discount hurts the contractor in the end because you will have filled your time with a handful of jobs that are paying much less then the handful you could have filled at your normal rate required to run your company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 06:48 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,870,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Trent Hicks View Post
Shingle prices today are more than we have EVER paid in my entire lifetime (with the exception after Hurricane Hugo, Fran, Andrew and Katrina where some suppliers went to jail for gouging).

There are economies to be shared even if TWO neighbors re-roof at the same time (and we share these savings between both customers.)

What you are suggesting routinely happens when we work for a customer on a street or cul-de-sac where the homes are of similar age and a neighbor or two approach us for the same service. EVERYBODY WINS!

Please use caution concerning payments. Always pay for work (or in some cases materials) that are "in place". Never pay "up front" for any construction-related service. The only exception is for a special ordered item that is not returnable. Custom materials that are created for a specific customer are owned by the customer, even if they change their mind later.

We have worked with apartment complexes, home owner associations, neighbors on the same street, and management companies for multiple re-roofs simultaneously to enjoy volume purchasing (shingles by the tractor trailer load shipped directly from the manufacturer), volume labor discounts, direct shipments on fasteners, and even discounts on landfill fees, etc.

Such a project requires detailed project management and coordination with all parties to achieve maximum benefit. The bottom line here is that everyone enjoys the savings! Check the roofer's written labor warranty. Short warranties are of no benefit. Why shouldn't the labor warranty last as long as the material warranty? Get EVERYTHING in writing to protect yourself from problems later.
J Trent - how come I never heard back from you about a quote? Did you consider my house too small?

Old 02-26-2010, 07:29 AM

8,016 posts, read 5,858,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixitrdu View Post
I have tried to experiment a little with group rates in the past and I think it is a great idea (win-win for customers and reputable contractors). Also, it ensures quality from us contractors as we will want to make sure everyone is extremely satisfied so we can stay in the neighborhood's good graces....the only problem I have had is that it really only ends up being a few houses willing to pay for the work in the same relative timeframe (such as a new roof or HVAC replacement on outdated inefficient units). Most prefer to only do it when it is absolutely necessary (multiple leaks beyond small repairs or HVAC unit totally stops working and repair is expensive). Then the deep discount hurts the contractor in the end because you will have filled your time with a handful of jobs that are paying much less then the handful you could have filled at your normal rate required to run your company.
You're right -- the problem with this is getting everyone to agree to get the work done within the same time frame. It's one thing to get mulch delivered this way, as that is a pretty easy check for people to write. But a $4-$9k roof is an entirely different matter.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:25 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,246,625 times
I've set this type of thing up for a few of the HOAs I manage. You really should bring this up to your board and HOA manager- they could help you (recommending vendors, mailing the notices, etc.)

For roofs, I'd suggest getting two or three vendors to bid based on square footage of roof to be replaced. Make sure each vendor providing a bid has auto, liability, and worker's comp insurance. Make sure folks know that they are not required to use one of the bidding vendors.

The best roofer I've worked with in the Triangle is Will Hayes with Roofwerks.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry884 View Post
For roofs, I'd suggest getting two or three vendors to bid based on square footage of roof to be replaced. Make sure each vendor providing a bid has auto, liability, and worker's comp insurance. Make sure folks know that they are not required to use one of the bidding vendors.

The best roofer I've worked with in the Triangle is Will Hayes with Roofwerks.
Great advice! this is what I did. In fact, Roofwerks guys were at my house today replacing mine. They'll be back tomorrow to finish the job. Out of the quotes I recd, they were the only company who came prepared with a copy of their insurance, and a long list of references. The work so far is top knotch. I love that they are using safety harnesses, I have a ranch but a hi roofline. These guys are head and shoulders above another co I used for my last house.

One other co only gave me workers comp info. Op, this is something you or your HOA would need to get if you are going to recommend them to your residents for a group discount.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:16 PM

809 posts, read 2,188,075 times
I concur. Roofwerks.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:45 PM

240 posts, read 1,180,043 times
Quote:
J Trent - how come I never heard back from you about a quote? Did you consider my house too small?
Hey RaleighLass, no house is too small and we're NEVER too busy to respond to questions. We like to teach folks how to get value and avoid getting ripped off. I remember chatting with you about Westinghouse HVAC equipment before Christmas and sending a quote. My apologies if we failed to get it to you. Please send a direct message with your phone number and we can be in touch on Monday to follow up.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Trent Hicks View Post
Hey RaleighLass, no house is too small and we're NEVER too busy to respond to questions. We like to teach folks how to get value and avoid getting ripped off. I remember chatting with you about Westinghouse HVAC equipment before Christmas and sending a quote. My apologies if we failed to get it to you. Please send a direct message with your phone number and we can be in touch on Monday to follow up.
Thanks! I never recd your quote. Was hoping we could talk about roof and a/c. I'm good now, thanks anyhow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary