Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 05:48 AM

56 posts, read 198,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
Anyone paying more than 15K for a 2 car garage is getting taken for a fool!
I would say if you are talking a slab, basic walls, gable roof, economic siding/roof, putting it on level ground, etc. that is a price you could maybe find. It really depends on what you are thinking when you say '2 car garage'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 07:22 AM

797 posts, read 3,580,196 times
^yeah, I definitely don't mean a 2 car garage with a room over it. That would probably be closer to 25K for a 400 sq foot room added.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:19 PM

5 posts, read 10,901 times
It's my first post.Couldn't wait after seeing your deck.
I like your deck with tile & it's color.But have a small question - will the nc humidity has any effects on outdoor tiles?And how do you chose the tile color i.e based on kitchen tiles/outer walls/...?

Old 03-02-2010, 08:24 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,921,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMichigan View Post
It's my first post.Couldn't wait after seeing your deck.
I like your deck with tile & it's color.But have a small question - will the nc humidity has any effects on outdoor tiles?And how do you chose the tile color i.e based on kitchen tiles/outer walls/...?
I assume you are referring to my post...

Welcome to the forum. I have found it full of friendly people and useful advice and try to give back any time I have something I think others can benefit from.

To my knowledge, even 100% humidity should not adversely affect a properly-installed tiled surface. I did seal the grout joints and it was put down by a professional who knows what he's doing. I do not ever expect any problems with it and it really isn't all that humid here except for a short period during our hotter summers (lately it has been quite reasonable).

We chose the tile color based on many factors, one was the color of the paint we planned to paint the wood, one was based on the opinions of many of our friends and also an interior designer, and one was how it looked in the sun, shade, and how hot or cool it felt under various conditions (wet, full sun, dry, cold outside, etc). We chose an outdoor rated porcelain tile in, I believe, 20x20 size. We had narrowed it down to about 3 or 4 tiles and I think we made the right choice because my wife and I think it looks unbelievable and we have gotten a lot of very nice comments from visitors so far.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:45 PM

5 posts, read 10,901 times
Thanks for the reply.
Great tile color.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:01 AM

100 posts, read 295,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
I would say there is no "general" - it depends on whether the slab will go on existing land, fill, or have to be created (or if you want it open underneath like I do which is a lot more expensive), whether you want siding, brick, etc, how much electrical you want, insulated versus non insulated, how many windows, what type of shingles, whether you want plumbing, whether it is attached or detached and if detached, if it is still somehow physically connected, etc.

There would be huge cost variations and I could easily see it going anywhere from $10-15K for a very simple detached 1 car with nothing fancy to $80-100K for a 2 or 3 car with storage and/or room above, brick, attached, etc. Those are purely guesses - I still have no clue what mine will even cost, let alone what you might be thinking of.
That's simply ridiculous. No more than $35-$45 a sq.ft. regardless of what you do to it.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:06 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,921,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nipsip View Post
That's simply ridiculous. No more than $35-$45 a sq.ft. regardless of what you do to it.
Go price out a 25x25 garage that has a "basement" under the entire thing and tell me where I can get it done for $45/square foot and I'll sign up right away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary