Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2010, 08:53 AM

128 posts, read 435,849 times

Advertisements

I thought I read somewhere that some of the elementary schools go year round? Is that true?? Do all of them? I'm not used to that.
Also, do you have to send your child to the school in the county you live in or do you have an option to go wherever as long as YOU get them there? (they just changed the law in Indiana where you can go where you want)

Also, (and this is highly subjective I know) where are the best schools in the Raleigh and neighboring areas. If we moved there, my husband would work somewhere in Raleigh, so we wouldn't want more than a 30 or so minute drive.

Any areas you strongly recommend stay away from? 1 of our children will start kindergarten in the fall and her education is important to me, so thought maybe instead of finding a home on line I like; maybe I should narrow down the town I search in by school.

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 09:22 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
I thought I read somewhere that some of the elementary schools go year round? Is that true?? Yes. Do all of them? No.

Also, do you have to send your child to the school in the county you live in or do you have an option to go wherever as long as YOU get them there? (they just changed the law in Indiana where you can go where you want).
Subject to magnet school options within a county, your kid goes to the school to which you are assigned in the county in which you live.

Also, (and this is highly subjective I know) where are the best schools in the Raleigh and neighboring areas. Chapel Hill Carrboro City Schools. If we moved there, my husband would work somewhere in Raleigh, so we wouldn't want more than a 30 or so minute drive. Chapel Hill is about 30 minutes from Raleigh.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:30 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
Depending upon where you live in Raleigh, Chapel Hill can be a much longer drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Chapel Hill is about 30 minutes from Raleigh.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:38 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Depending upon where you live in Raleigh, Chapel Hill can be a much longer drive.
True - you could stretch it at either end, I guess.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:52 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Your thread asks about "Schools in NC" but apparently you are really asking about "schools in Raleigh and environs", correct?

Wake county schools, the largest district in the state and something like #18 in the country, is in a state of flux. You may want to bookmark the local newspaper, the News and Observer and read whatever you find about the School Board because it's in quite an upheaval right now. The bottom line: Nobody is quite sure.

There are MANY threads in this subforum about the Wake County schools and I suggest you use the Search function to go through them all. No sense in rehashing info that's already here--but it will likely change soon.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:28 AM

128 posts, read 435,849 times
Thanks! Yes, I meant to type the Raleigh area.... I"m still new to this whole forum thing.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:10 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times
Francois said it best!

But if you want to find the scores for school go to www.wcpss.net search each school and then on the right side of page, see AYP, ABC adn EOG's, each of these are test scores for that specific school.
Be sure to read the new resolution that the school board just voted on, it has its own thread here. It doesn't tell you anything other than things will change.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary