Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2010, 03:54 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,436,706 times

Advertisements

That's oxymoronic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 04:12 PM

31,672 posts, read 40,919,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kornfed View Post
You might just be surprised what the free market can produce for results and choices, compared to a county run system.
We aren't talking about the same thing. I am talking about how government is organized and does its governmental responsibilities and you are advocating for private schools which already exist. If you are advocating doing away with funding for public schools then have a good time discussing that with someone interested in discussing that with you not named TuborgP.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:17 PM

Perhaps the attached is a good review for this moment in this thread:

NORTH CAROLINA STATE CONSTITUTION
ection 1. Education encouraged.

Religion, morality, and knowledge being necessary to good government and the happiness of mankind, schools, libraries, and the means of education shall forever be encouraged.

Sec. 2. Uniform system of schools.

(1) General and uniform system: term. The General Assembly shall provide by taxation and otherwise for a general and uniform system of free public schools, which shall be maintained at least nine months in every year, and wherein equal opportunities shall be provided for all students.

(2) Local responsibility. The General Assembly may assign to units of local government such responsibility for the financial support of the free public schools as it may deem appropriate. The governing boards of units of local government with financial responsibility for public education may use local revenues to add to or supplement any public school or post-secondary school program.

The above is from the North Carolina constitution and thus will be part of the moving forward by some citizens in the county.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:34 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,842,883 times
Tuborg, thanks for sharing this, very informative!

While we are talking of governance, I received an email today with this information.

It seems that the state requires the board to have 12 clock hrs of training annually as mandated by S.L. 2009-403. So at the March 2 meeting the board approved using the John W. Pope Civitas Institute. The email describes it as a non-partisan 501c3 non-profit organization. However, when I looked them up their website says its mission is to facilitate implementation of conservative policy solutions. The email further states that each member will pay for their own training as no funds are provided.

I think they should make their relationships with such organizations more transparent. I find it hard to trust them with all the shenanigans I am seeing and hearing. Everytime I think OK, it's a new day, forget it all give them a chance to prove they will put our children above personal agendas...I come across something like this that dismays me.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:24 PM

809 posts, read 2,182,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post

While we are talking of governance, I received an email today with this information.

It seems that the state requires the board to have 12 clock hrs of training annually as mandated by S.L. 2009-403. So at the March 2 meeting the board approved using the John W. Pope Civitas Institute. The email describes it as a non-partisan 501c3 non-profit organization. However, when I looked them up their website says its mission is to facilitate implementation of conservative policy solutions. The email further states that each member will pay for their own training as no funds are provided.

I think they should make their relationships with such organizations more transparent. I find it hard to trust them with all the shenanigans I am seeing and hearing. Everytime I think OK, it's a new day, forget it all give them a chance to prove they will put our children above personal agendas...I come across something like this that dismays me.
RL,

How come WRAL and someone from the N&O don't look into and report on this stuff?

Old 03-04-2010, 07:50 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by second right View Post
RL,

How come WRAL and someone from the N&O don't look into and report on this stuff?

Maybe they haven't seen a copy of the minutes? I just rec'd it late this afternoon.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:06 PM

809 posts, read 2,182,471 times
Quote:
Maybe they haven't seen a copy of the minutes? I just rec'd it late this afternoon.
K. I sent you a DM. I'm going to email a few people at both places.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:

Hmmm sometimes it is best not to claim something that isn't necessarily accurate in the eyes of the public.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:24 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,836,583 times
Quote:
...at the March 2 meeting the board approved using the John W. Pope Civitas Institute. The email describes it as a non-partisan 501c3 non-profit organization. However, when I looked them up their website says its mission is to facilitate implementation of conservative policy solutions... I think they should make their relationships with such organizations more transparent. ... Everytime I think OK, it's a new day, forget it all give them a chance to prove they will put our children above personal agendas...I come across something like this that dismays me.
The school board was just as political & subject to personal agendas 3 years ago as it is now, only then the politics leaned Democrat, now they lean Republican.
To see the personal agendas, look at the node maps. Look who rides the bus the longest. Look who stays in higher performing schools closer to home. It's hard to find a legible map that shows what has been going on. And I find it more likely than not that the information is obscured on purpose.

I have found that the Independent Weekly has been doing a good job of "connecting the dots" for years now on this, as well as other issues.
I don't always agree with their spin or conclusions but they are not afraid to take a stab at sacred cows.

Here is a link to their story on our situation. It provides an interesting overview:

Wake County goes to hell: News: Wake County

Old 03-04-2010, 09:25 PM

111 posts, read 187,971 times
Quote:
Yep! A yr rd school allows for roughly 1/3rd more kids in a school.

Although I thought they were going to only stop the mandatory yr-rd, and that each new "pod" or whatever they'll call it rather than the current node, would have a yr rd choice?

a year round school would allow 1/3 more students if it was operated all year. unfortuanatey, they close it down when kids are tracked out. This means it is accomodating no more children than traditional calendar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary