Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 11:51 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,960,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Because "my perogative" means I am now paying TWICE to educate my child. You are forcing me to pay for your schools. How about a tax credit then?
Many "pay" far more than you, without ever having children. The public school system is there for you if you want to take advantage of it. From personal experience, it does a better job of educating children than most private schools. If you choose not to take advantage of it, that's fine, just don't pretend your taxes have been earmarked your children's exclusive use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 11:59 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Being Brit and having lived here for many yrs, maybe I look at things differently(?). But I find this seemingly new phenomenon of "keep the govt out of education", very interesting. Isn't the govt you and me and our representatives? Aren't we all able to influence the system, vote for board member to represent us? We may not always agree or get our way, but this is democracy.
The same for homeschooling. Aren't these both a return to how it once was? I'm curious as to what shaped your beliefs? Is there a movement out there, are there books about this? What is so bad about a public education? Yet you will take a voucher from the govt... I don't get this.
Well you asked me a question, I'm going to answer.

1. We are NOT a democracy in the United States, we are republic.

2. Our founders believed in having *just* enough government to keep us out of anarchy - that would IMHO include government run schools.

3. My beliefs are shaped by living in a state that is overblown with government bloat and control and by studying our founding fathers documents, and commentaries.

4. The only reason I'd be interested in a voucher is because to me it's a return on the insane amount of money I and others pay into the system every year. I can afford to send my kids to private schools and will.

I believe like our founding fathers did in limited government. Specifically a lot of what Jefferson wrote on the subject.

Quote:
Nobody is forcing kids to interact.
Really? What do you think "forced integration" means? Busing kids to other districts is doing just that. I grew up in a city that had forced integration, and it was a MESS.

Quote:
But it is good for them to be exposed to other views, perspectives, cultures and races than their own.
I don't disagree. But that's my role as a parent, not the government's. *I* will decide how my family is raised, you decide how your's is. That is the type of freedom this country was founded on.

If you can't tell I'm a hard line Libertarian.

Quote:
And, you are mistaken - kids do self-segregate to an extent as they get older, and it is often based on their racial and or economic make-up. They congregate with whom they are most comfortable.
I don't think that's the "norm" any more. Our country has gotten past a lot of things. Who would have thought you'd have white rap artists or a black country singers just 20 years ago?

Do kids get "clicky"...yea, so do adults. I don't see kids today saying "your black, I'm hanging out with the white kids, sorry". Even still, it's my role as a parent to teach moral things to my kids, not the school system. Teach my kids math and science.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
Many "pay" far more than you, without ever having children. The public school system is there for you if you want to take advantage of it. From personal experience, it does a better job of educating children than most private schools. If you choose not to take advantage of it, that's fine, just don't pretend your taxes have been earmarked your children's exclusive use.
LOL Really? You know my income and taxation level? Please don't assume anything, it's not nice. I would whole heartedly disagree that public schools do better than private and/or home schooling. Statistics show otherwise. I won't even get into the social ills or the indoctrination that kids in our publics schools face.

This thread asked how to solve some of the problems in Wake schools. My answer is simply to make private education and "choice" more accessable to parents who are otherwise being forced to rely on government run schools.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-03-2010 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: NO discussion of Mod activity, per the TOS.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:17 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
Those kids are the ones who will care for us in our dotage, police our streets, cut our hair, and perform our heart surgeries.
I sure hope they are well educated and I will gladly pay my share, as I have before I had kids & will continue to do so after my last one has left the system.
Well said!.
I felt this way back in the day when I thought I'd never have children, I think this way now that I have children, and I know I will think this way when my children are grown. My taxes for public education has been, is, and will be for the greater good of my community, my state, and my country.

Thank goodness those generations before us had the foresight to see that things like parks, museums, and schools only make our communities stronger. Unfortunately, with many in my generation it's only about themselves or their families. It's shameful really.

Last edited by PDXmom; 03-03-2010 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: added one point

Old 03-03-2010, 12:19 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Quote:

This thread asked how to solve some of the problems in Wake schools. My answer is simply to make private education and "choice" more accessable to parents who are otherwise being forced to rely on government run schools.
Surely, you see that this "answer" to the question of how to solve the problems in WCPSS, does not actually answer the question.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Surely, you see that this "answer" to the question of how to solve the problems in WCPSS, does not actually answer the question.
It sure does. See the second reply in this thread.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:46 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Because "my perogative" means I am now paying TWICE to educate my child. You are forcing me to pay for your schools. How about a tax credit then?
One one opts not to use a public service in favor of the private alternative they do so at additional expense. Life is one of choices and if you opt for a private service over a public service you have exercised that choice at addtional cost. How much is your blood going for on the open market in this economy? By your argument all of the tax payers without kids in the school system should get a rebate for not using the service because they don't have kids or have them in college. If you send your child to a private college should you get a rebate for the portion of your taxes that support the state university system?

Old 03-03-2010, 01:16 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
Quote:
Well you asked me a question, I'm going to answer and hopefully it will not get deleted.
From Raleigh Lass - my replies are bolded.
First, I asked not to be sarcastic, but because I genuinely wondered if perhaps there was a movement's philosophy you ascribed to. I'm always curious as to where people get certain ideas from. I thought that mentioning I was Brit would help you understand this was where I was coming from.

Next, as I am (originally) from Britain, and not the planet Ignoramous, I am fully aware that the US is a Republic! I would not choose to leave my family and land of birth to come to a country I knew nothing about http://www.thisnation.com/question/011.html
While no expert, in high school I probably learned more about your history and country's founding that you ever learned about Britain - where you founders came from and home to the Magna Carta.

1. We are NOT a democracy in the United States, we are republic.

2. Our founders believed in having *just* enough government to keep us out of anarchy - that would IMHO include government run schools.

3. My beliefs are shaped by living in a state that is overblown with government bloat and control and by studying our founding fathers documents, and commentaries.

4. The only reason I'd be interested in a voucher is because to me it's a return on the insane amount of money I and others pay into the system every year. I can afford to send my kids to private schools and will.
Sorry you live in a state you feel takes too much in taxes from you. But being a Republic, you know the drill - your reps speak for you. If you choose not to go along with this, then you should pay for the private school. There are lots of public facilities I indirectly pay for but don't use. So what??!

I believe like our founding fathers did in limited government. Specifically a lot of what Jefferson wrote on the subject.

Really? What do you think "forced integration" means? Busing kids to other districts is doing just that. I grew up in a city that had forced integration, and it was a MESS.

It seems that you are still bitter about your experiences. We don't bus kids to other districts here, we only have one district, Wake County PSS that we are talking about where kids get buses to other areas in the district.

I don't disagree. But that's my role as a parent, not the government's. *I* will decide how my family is raised, you decide how your's is. That is the type of freedom this country was founded on.

If you can't tell I'm a hard line Libertarian.

I couldn't tell, that's why I was asking if there was something you ascribed to, so I could read up on it, understand where you are coming from. I understand there are many variants of Libertarianism - left to right being anarchists. Libertarianism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
But they all agree govt is the problem, not solution. If govt is of the people, by the people, how can you be against this? And then translate that to govt schools shouldn't be?

I don't think that's the "norm" any more. Our country has gotten past a lot of things. Who would have thought you'd have white rap artists or a black country singers just 20 years ago?

And, 20 yrs ago - Charlie Pride; Ice T! You must be young

Do kids get "clicky"...yea, so do adults. I don't see kids today saying "your black, I'm hanging out with the white kids, sorry". Even still, it's my role as a parent to teach moral things to my kids, not the school system. Teach my kids math and science.quote]

Self-segregating, is normal, there are countless references to it-studies. it's not a negative, and doesn't mean they do it exclusively. I live and work in a very diverse environ and have seen it, no biggie!

Now let's get back to what's next......

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-03-2010 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: Just fixed the coding on the quoted text

Old 03-03-2010, 02:02 PM

Raleighlass, with the risk of going OT...I just wanted to reply and apologize if my post came off as sarcastic, I was not trying to be. I just don't know when the hammer is going to fall so I try to be brief and in doing so, probably short circuit the post.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-03-2010 at 02:10 PM.. Reason: No discussion of Mod activity, per the TOS

Old 03-03-2010, 02:09 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
Quote:
Raleighlass, with the risk of going OT ...I just wanted to reply and apologize if my post came off as sarcastic, I was not trying to be. I just don't know when the hammer is going to fall so I try to be brief and in doing so, probably short circuit the post.
This whole thread has wandered VERY far off-topic, as I mentioned a couple pages back. I've let it continue, because some of the discussion actually is relevent to the local school situation.

However, I'd appreciate if people would re-focus on Wake County schools specifically, rather than public schools in general.

Thanks.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:16 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
Quote:
Raleighlass, with the risk of going OT...I just wanted to reply and apologize if my post came off as sarcastic, I was not trying to be. I just don't know when the hammer is going to fall so I try to be brief and in doing so, probably short circuit the post.
Thank you, I accept and also apologize for my retort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary