Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your political leanings?
I'm a Conservative and a transplant. 23 26.14%
I'm a Liberal and a transplant. 21 23.86%
I'm a Progressive and a transplant. 4 4.55%
I'm a Libertarian and a transplant. 15 17.05%
I'm a Conservative and a native. 4 4.55%
I'm a Liberal and a native. 11 12.50%
I'm a Progressive and a native. 4 4.55%
I'm a Libertarian and a native. 6 6.82%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 03:24 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
The Triangle is made up of hundreds of thousands of people that span the political spectrum.

I think there are probably about 50-70 people who post on this forum regularly. I'm not sure how that could be used to representative of the Triangle.

To the OP, the political mindset varies depending on what part of the Triangle you are in. Inside the Raleigh Beltline vs. Chapel Hill ect... Even then there are pockets of differing views within each area.
Welcome the politics and other controversies forum my friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 04:10 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,864,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Hello folks, I'm curious to the political mindset around the Triangle. I set up a poll to see where the majority of posters on this forum fall and if you are a native or transplant.
and there was I thinking that the Election process gave the best indication of political mindset

Old 03-03-2010, 04:44 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,159,097 times
whats the difference between progressive and liberal?

Old 03-03-2010, 05:01 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Welcome the politics and other controversies forum my friend.
How come your poll map to the results of the quiz you linked?
I consider myself a liberal but the quiz put me right on the line between centist and liberal. Frankly, I didn't like some of the answer choices that they gave me. So, the quiz isn't completely accurate in reflecting my true political leanings.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:03 PM

494 posts, read 1,388,703 times
Looks like us conservatives are moving in.lol.Were running a close second.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:11 PM

98 posts, read 131,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
f you want to know the political climate, just check out past election maps, both local and national.
Dead wrong on this. As someone who doesn't care about what party the candidate belongs to, I vote both sides. That doesn't mean I am Liberal one day and Conservative the next. Bad candidates sometimes do not win. There are so many factors that go into who won, that you can't say we are conservative if a conservative wins. If the liberal candidate is awful, the conservative may win by default.

The other thing to always keep in mind is that liberal does not mean democrat and conservative does not mean republican. There is a lot of bleedover these days. It's hard to tell the difference anymore.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
and there was I thinking that the Election process gave the best indication of political mindset
No it does not. See my statement above. Sometimes people just want something fresh and new, without realizing what is really there. This happens both ways. It is far more complicated than this side won therefore we are all thinking that way.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:19 PM

I am a combination of three out of the four mindsets. How am I suppose to vote?

Old 03-04-2010, 04:54 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
For the sake of this poll I would like to clarify how my questions above are framed by answering a couple below. This is NOT intended to start a political debate, this is simply to clarify my mindset in making the choices above.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I think this helps sum it up: Conservative vs. Liberal Beliefs
With all due respect, I would disagree and think that link provides only two dimensional information. That's some of the reason I put a link to the Nolan Chart for reference to this poll because it's 3 dimensional.

Left - Right and "Up and down" which is a Statist or Anarchist.

You can be liberal and for or against big government. You can be a conservative and for or against big government. The "up/down" factor is the missing dimension.

To explain it further I'll use this illustration.

A "small government liberal" might say "I don't care if Adam and Steve marry, the state has no business telling people who love each other what they can and can't do with thier own bodies and minds".

A big government liberal might say "Adam and Steve have a RIGHT to marry and the government should mandate that it's so."

A small government conservative might say "The government has no business getting involved with marriage, it's between myself, my wife and my God - let no man separate what God has joined together"

A big government conservative might say "Marriage is between a man and a women, and the government should outlaw anything but that".

Make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
whats the difference between progressive and liberal?
To answer your question I would read the above and would add that Progressives - those that actually know what it means since 1915 and live it and and don't have their finger twisting their hair saying things like: "like, I'm like really like PROgressssivvvve" are generally statists. They believe government is the solution.

Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post

Sorry, I'm aware that C-D polls are not expected to be scientific and only give so many options, but I'm a data analyst and I am in a habit of critiquing methodologies and survey validity
No worries man, speak your piece. I'm all about open discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornfed View Post
I am a combination of three out of the four mindsets. How am I suppose to vote?
If you took the Nolan test, and it did indeed put you in the center, I would say you are a rarity - a true centrist. I didn't include that because most people say "I'm center" but don't realize they actually support liberal or conservative or libertarian or progressive views.

Thanks for participating.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:37 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times
What if you don't like to label yourself? What about the people who consider each issue individually instead of blindly following one set of ideas based on what X Label says they should be???

Sadly, I think there are not nearly enough of us out there.

Just took the Nolan survey and it puts me on the line between Centrist and Liberal, but like rnc2mbfl, I did not really like the answers available to some of the questions.

I will continue to not label myself, so I will not be able to participate in the poll.

Last edited by miamiblue; 03-04-2010 at 07:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary