U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 02:23 PM

79 posts, read 304,521 times

Advertisements

My husband is scheduled for an interview for a job in Morrisville, NC tomorrow. I have done some research of the area, but in enough for me to get real expectations of how our life may change.
We live in El Paso, TX and hate it. The culture of parenting among the locals here is "survival of the toughest", literally when one kid complains about another kid in a play area, the parents response is to knock their block off or to tell their older sibling to take care of it.
The city is a dry desert and feels dirty, it is brown, neighbors do not pick up blowing around trash in front/back yards, weeds growing in sidewalk cracks, no grass or real trees.
We are looking forward to moving to the eastern US, and have only heard back from an employer in Morrisville. We currently spend $800/month for a small 3 bdrm/2bath hole in the ground. The summers here make you feel like a crayon set in an oven, though the winter is pretty mild. We are looking forward to having a real winter with snow and an autumn with leaves changing color. I've never lived anywhere humid, so the summers should be quite the experience.
We are looking forward to being a few hours from the ocean and sandy beaches, we have an rv, so we want to take weekend camping trips to the beach.
We also have 2 fourwheelers and love to go camping in a mountain area with fourwheeling trails.
We have a pre-kinder kid and I work nights waitressing so I can be at home during the day with him.
What area should we be looking at? We need a three bedroom with at least a small yard.
All input is appreciated!
Rose
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 02:54 PM

5,543 posts, read 16,134,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilredrose View Post
What area should we be looking at? We need a three bedroom with at least a small yard.
Anywhere. There are 3 bedroom houses with small yards everywhere. If your husband works in Morrisville, then that may be a good city to start with. It is centrally located. The only problem is that some people have an issue with the airplane noise as the airport is right to the north of Morrisville. Some people say that the noise doesn't bother them at all.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:59 PM

6,239 posts, read 14,836,469 times
I can't help you with specifics, but make sure to check out HOA or apartment complex rules about RV's.

Morrisville, IMHO, was always a tiny and non-descript town and now is mostly new construction, and it has very nice homes.

If you can find something in your price range, I think you'll love living in NC.

You said what you are paying in Texas; is that your budget for NC? I think you might have trouble renting a home that large for $800. Homes in NC cost a lot more than Texas. But I might be wrong. Maybe you can find a home that someone needs to rent because they're having trouble selling it. Check out the major Realtor site.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:16 PM

I also wanted to add that we do not mind him having a commute of 20-30 one way so we can live in a small town area with less expensive rentals.

You mentioned Realtor sites...as I am not from the area, I do not know the local Realtor there, any general sites you can direct me to?

Old 03-04-2010, 03:46 PM

8,137 posts, read 6,847,484 times
I worked in Morrisville and live near Garner; it was not a great commute, but I got by. Morrisville and the airport have some nice areas. The airport noise is not bad unless you are close and right beneath the flightpath.
Welcome to NC!

Old 03-04-2010, 04:34 PM

1,832 posts, read 4,736,047 times
have you tried craigslist? What about schools? I did see a cute ranch on craigslist for $935 in the Lake Pine area of Cary. I don't know much about the school there--Briarcliff Elem. but the location seems great. Search for max rent of 1000 on craigslist and use the word "house" in the key word search with a 3-bedroom minimum!

Old 03-04-2010, 05:54 PM

997 posts, read 4,378,784 times
From what you said about where you are coming from in TX, I think you will like the area very much. It is very new, clean and pretty. It's not flat and has lots of trees. Except for this winter, snow is not always a given. Summers will be humid.

You might need to expand your search beyond the Morrisville area. I don't think you will find very much in the range of $800. Neighborhoods with HOA's and most apartment complexes in the area have strict rules. I don't think the RV or the four wheelers will be accepted.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:58 PM

1,424 posts, read 4,950,163 times
I'm sure you know this, but just to be safe, hopefully you're aware there is state income tax here in NC as well.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:15 PM

Thank you for the responses and direction.
I did not know there were state taxes. We paid then in when we lived in NM, so no biggie!
Just started looking at the cost of moving vans for next month...thank God for tax refunds, right?

Old 03-04-2010, 06:54 PM

7 posts, read 9,943 times
Hi Rose,
I lived in Morrisville when we first came to the Triangle area four years ago. I positively love it, but it can be a bit expensive depending where you live. The schools are amazing. I have a special needs son who is 11 years old, and he attended Morrisville Elementary for two years. The principal is wonderful and the school has a warm/fuzzy feel. I can't gush enough about it. My son is now in another elementary school in Cary that is definitely not the same. Due to my experience with my son, I have researched schools extensively.

Moderator cut: Realtor solicitating is NOT allowed on this site.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-04-2010 at 07:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary