Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 08:20 AM

58 posts, read 150,273 times

Advertisements

Right now I live in North Raleigh and we are possibly planning on moving to Brier Creek. We want to be within walking distance to everything, plus the airport is really close. Don't get me wrong, North Raleigh is wonderful....we just miss being able to walk to a variety of stores. My question is, does anyone have any good/bad experiences with Brier Creek? Is it a pretty safe area to live in? (even though I think pretty much all of Raleigh is pretty safe)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 08:43 AM

6,825 posts, read 9,063,301 times
It's very safe. Most of the crimes I've heard about where theft from cars or garages when people left them open. I like it, although it does feel like a little island at times, cut off from the rest of the world. Whenever I feel like this isn't a good neighborhood, I go over to Capitol Blvd, and experience the 8 lanes of traffic and congestion. It makes Brier Creek seem like heaven. If you look at the map you'll see that Brier Creek is in the middle of everything. That means that many places in the Triangle are a 30 minute drive or less.

Brier Creek has plenty of sidewalks, but I don't know if I'd call it walkable in the traditional sense. Depending on where you are located, it is possible to walk to stores, lunch etc. We have several different shopping areas, but there is no convenient path to get to all of them. Glenwood splits the neighborhood in half. You will find yourself driving across Glenwood to go to whatever stores are on the "other" side. I've lived on both sides of Glenwood. When I lived in the apartments behind Walmart, I walked to Panera Bread pretty often. Now that I'm on the other side, I walk to the Earthfare market and to the restaurants next to it. I've tried walking across Glenwood but there are no pedestrian/walk signs, so it's not a nice experience. You won't feel like you're in downtown Raleigh, but you won't have to drive for everything.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:24 AM

862 posts, read 3,550,277 times
I would never want to cross Glenwood. It seems like suicide.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:35 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,099,752 times
My first thought was, "Do they walk in Brier Creek?" I was just there this morning. I didn't see anybody walking.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:45 PM

58 posts, read 150,273 times
Really? I have seen people riding their bikes and walking! I was looking @ Courtney Estates which are pretty close to a couple of stores. (and I am used to walking 6 miles on a daily...)

Old 04-13-2010, 02:08 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,099,752 times
Well, the times I've been to Brier Creek, it's been to go to the shopping/restaurant area, to a friend's house, or today, to a nearby office.

I'm usually in the car, so maybe that's why I don't seen people walking. Maybe they cross Brier Creek to go to the restaurants on the south side of Glenwood. I wouldn't want to cross Glenwood, either.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:08 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,170,204 times
Try North Hills

Old 04-13-2010, 05:38 PM

238 posts, read 669,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
My first thought was, "Do they walk in Brier Creek?" I was just there this morning. I didn't see anybody walking.
Well I was just there walking this evening and people were everywhere. I drive through in the morning on the way to work and there are always people having a morning walk/run.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:54 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,829,401 times
I've lived in Brier Creek for about 2 years, and really only see people on foot who are obviously exercising. The shops and apartments and such mostly have sidewalks --- but are separated by a pretty good distance to carry your groceries and such home. And an earlier poster is quite right ... I'd really hate to have to cross Glenwood on foot!

Old 04-15-2010, 11:34 AM

397 posts, read 805,624 times
I just moved there in late Jan and got a nice apt right across from Brier Creek Country Club. Sold my house in Holly Springs and just wanted to downsize.

It's very convenient and love the shops. There's so much out there that's just a few minutes away. Great to walk around and go for a jog.

There are plus' and miunes', though. Houses are very expensive over there and they want a lot of $ per SF. It's a nice area, but you think the walls were gold plated for how much they wanted for houses out there, but they have come down just like every other area.

Towhomes are a dime a dozen, though, and there's TONS of places to live over there for pretty cheep. They over-built that area like a lot of places, and with the downturn in the economy, it's a buyers maket if you wanted to get into a really nice condo or townhome.

It also depends on which side of the street you live on. The side nearest 540 can be really noisy and you hear a lot of traffic and some points of the day.

I think that's why some of the building has slowed down out there. Seems pretty pricey for what you get.

But it's an easy commute and 540 makes it so easy to get anywhere.

The market will rebound and now is a good time to buy out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary