U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2007, 07:25 AM

19 posts, read 77,242 times

Advertisements

I am currently looking at teaching jobs in Orange County. Can someone give me some details about these areas of Orange County. Which would be the best to live in for schools, teaching, things to do, family life, etc. Hillsborough sounded good in the profile. Is it expensive? We are teachers and have been for about 13 years. We are around 40-50 grand each a year each. I make a little more as I will have a Masters. We live in a different areas of NC (eastern, rural) and need to get out.
I appreciate any feedback.
MJ
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 08:52 AM

2,834 posts, read 11,606,811 times
HIllsborough is a great town! You will get more house for the money, for sure. It definitely has that historic feel to it when you are in hillsborough proper. There are many many homes and developments in orange county (probably a hillsborough address) that have a more rural feel. Chapel Hill and carrboro definitely are more expensive, smaller homes but are also wonderful.

It also probably will depend on schools where you are teaching. You may want to find something close to both? I really like hillsborough, and I would say you will be able to afford more there.

Leigh

Old 06-03-2007, 09:35 AM

3,021 posts, read 10,677,756 times
What a hard decision! All three of these towns are great. The personalities of each vary ever-so slightly, so it's hard to say whether one is better than another. You really just need to go yourself & explore the area. Check out some of the neighborhoods & find which has the best fit for you.

I lived in Hillsborough until recently & I really loved it. It's a picturesque, homey, sweet little town. The downtown area on Churton is small, but the shopowners are great. I'm espcially fond of the patisserie & the yarn shop. Even the folks at the post office are sweet and friendly. And of course, there's boatloads of history. It feels like there's a historical marker every 10 feet! I also like the Triangle Sportsplex, a great facility with an ice rink, swimming pools, exercise equipment, etc. And I'm a big fan of Maple View Farm's dairy store for milk, eggs, and ice cream. If you like big-box stores, they also have a Wal-Mart and a Home Depot, but I rarely go there.

I'm not sure how much they pay for teachers here (there are other threads that discuss that in the archives) but since you're already in NC I suspect you aren't in for any big surprises. Note, though, that the public school system that covers Chapel Hill and Carborro is different than the one that covers Hillsborough, despite the fact that they're all in Orange County. At any rate, you should be able to find plenty of places that you can afford in the Hillsborough area. It's certainly cheaper than Chapel Hill, but not as cheap as other smaller towns in the area (I think Apex and Clayton may actually be cheaper, but do your own research to be certain).

There are a few drawbacks, though. First of all, a lot of the houses in the Hillsborough area - even very nice ones that are within a mile or so of downtown - are on septic systems and well water. I grew up with that sort of situation so it doesn't bother me one bit, but it concerns others. Also, the post office for Hillsborough (27278) covers a very large area, so if you find a house on the internet that says it's in Hillsborough, be sure to map the location; it may actually be further out than you'd like.

For us, the only downsides to living in Hillsborough were (1) the long commute to my husband's job on the Chapel Hill/Durham border and (2) we found we were often driving into Durham, Chapel Hill, and Carborro for shopping and entertainment. The selection of stores is limited, but that's to be expected in a small town. Many people would be disappointed with the options for grocery shopping (Wal-Mart, Food Lion), but Weaver Street Market - the beloved food co-op in Carborro - is building a new location in the heart of Hillsborough, so they will be a great source for organic veggies, free-range chicken and the like.

Eventually we decided to move to southwest Durham where the housing is cheaper and where the commute for my husband is shorter. And although I love my new area, I also like that I can quickly run over to Chapel Hill, Carborro, and Hillsborough any time I like. They really are great towns.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:04 AM

19 posts, read 77,242 times
Thanks for the detailed information. I am actually looking at both school systems as those both have good supplements for teachers. Hillsborough sounds great. We are definitely planning a trip up to that area in the next week or two to check it out. We will apply and then go up there for lunch and scope out Carrboro and Hillsborough. I have never been there even though I have lived in NC for 13 years. I have been to Pittsboro, but I want to live in an area that is closer than I am now to a bigger a city. I am two + hours away from any major NC city. It is awful. I picked the areas to research that have the best paying supplements for teachers. Orange county is it, particularly Chapel Hill-Carrboro. Thanks again for the infor. Where is the closest Target???
MJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
What a hard decision! All three of these towns are great. The personalities of each vary ever-so slightly, so it's hard to say whether one is better than another. You really just need to go yourself & explore the area. Check out some of the neighborhoods & find which has the best fit for you.

I lived in Hillsborough until recently & I really loved it. It's a picturesque, homey, sweet little town. The downtown area on Churton is small, but the shopowners are great. I'm espcially fond of the patisserie & the yarn shop. Even the folks at the post office are sweet and friendly. And of course, there's boatloads of history. It feels like there's a historical marker every 10 feet! I also like the Triangle Sportsplex, a great facility with an ice rink, swimming pools, exercise equipment, etc. And I'm a big fan of Maple View Farm's dairy store for milk, eggs, and ice cream. If you like big-box stores, they also have a Wal-Mart and a Home Depot, but I rarely go there.

I'm not sure how much they pay for teachers here (there are other threads that discuss that in the archives) but since you're already in NC I suspect you aren't in for any big surprises. Note, though, that the public school system that covers Chapel Hill and Carborro is different than the one that covers Hillsborough, despite the fact that they're all in Orange County. At any rate, you should be able to find plenty of places that you can afford in the Hillsborough area. It's certainly cheaper than Chapel Hill, but not as cheap as other smaller towns in the area (I think Apex and Clayton may actually be cheaper, but do your own research to be certain).

There are a few drawbacks, though. First of all, a lot of the houses in the Hillsborough area - even very nice ones that are within a mile or so of downtown - are on septic systems and well water. I grew up with that sort of situation so it doesn't bother me one bit, but it concerns others. Also, the post office for Hillsborough (27278) covers a very large area, so if you find a house on the internet that says it's in Hillsborough, be sure to map the location; it may actually be further out than you'd like.

For us, the only downsides to living in Hillsborough were (1) the long commute to my husband's job on the Chapel Hill/Durham border and (2) we found we were often driving into Durham, Chapel Hill, and Carborro for shopping and entertainment. The selection of stores is limited, but that's to be expected in a small town. Many people would be disappointed with the options for grocery shopping (Wal-Mart, Food Lion), but Weaver Street Market - the beloved food co-op in Carborro - is building a new location in the heart of Hillsborough, so they will be a great source for organic veggies, free-range chicken and the like.

Eventually we decided to move to southwest Durham where the housing is cheaper and where the commute for my husband is shorter. And although I love my new area, I also like that I can quickly run over to Chapel Hill, Carborro, and Hillsborough any time I like. They really are great towns.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:15 AM

3,021 posts, read 10,677,756 times
The closest Target - for any of those 3 towns - would be in Durham. How close depends on where you are in town, of course, but from the heart of Hillsborough, I think it's a 20 to 30 minute drive.

Old 06-03-2007, 04:06 PM

823 posts, read 3,788,189 times
I believe the supplement for Durham isn't much less than for CCHSS or Orange. It seems like housing is cheaper there so it might offset the slight differenc in pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary