Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 10:35 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalnc View Post
We moved here with a well thought out plan, sober minds and willingness to work hard and we hate it here. We don't find the people particularly friendly at all, not much to do and certainly, if you don't have kids (at least around where we live) people don't want to bother with you. But the career moved us here and we are biding our time until we can move. Just our experience, I know there are people who really like it here. All depends on what you are looking for.....
Get out of the burbs and move near downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 10:38 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cms324 View Post
Thanks for the responses! My husband and I are doing ALL of our research first...and we will be sure that he finds a JOB first before we move down there! Yes, I know that may take a while...

Neither of us has any financial problems or anything here we are trying to 'escape' ....just looking for a warmer climate that may be a little more laid back and reasonably priced than it is here in Boston! I have heard such wonderful things about the area!

We are hoping that once the market rebounds that we will make some money on the house that we fixed up and we can put it towards a down payment on a home in NC and have a much lower mortgage than we have now!
Those are all pretty sound assumptions. Good luck.
When you do move, I'd recommend NOT becoming intoxicated by how big of a house you can buy in some areas. I'd think carefully about what sort of place will fit your life best. It might not be the cheapest place for Real Estate and you might not end up with a huge house. But, in the long run, you might be happier.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:55 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
My wife and I were part of the Northern exodus from financial despair. We moved here with less than 1 month preparation when I was offered emloyment.

I had no idea what the Triangle was like. Found a room on CL and moved sight unseen.

We absolutely love it here. The weather, the people, the location. We have been to the ocean one weekend and the mountains the next.

Where else would we have found the best in BBQ and seafood--just a few hours apart.

It took 6 months for my wife to find employment, since the $ crisis hit NC right after we arrived a year ago.

If it weren't for family being in the north, living here would be 100%; as it is we find it to be 90% on the happy and content scale..

IMHO

Old 03-11-2010, 05:06 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
A-men!

I wish you were posting in this forum in 2006. I darn near got ambushed every time I'd post something like this back then...mostly by posters who fit the profile you just described perfectly; and low and behold; I don't see them posting here anymore talking about how moving to NC really did fix their family, financial, emotional problems!
Well, I don't know about emotional and family, but moving here sure did fix my financial problems!

Old 03-11-2010, 06:38 AM

621 posts, read 2,218,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Get out of the burbs and move near downtown.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:46 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,371,787 times
Default Hard to Fit in IF You Don't Have Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalnc View Post
We moved here with a well thought out plan, sober minds and willingness to work hard and we hate it here. We don't find the people particularly friendly at all, not much to do and certainly, if you don't have kids (at least around where we live) people don't want to bother with you. But the career moved us here and we are biding our time until we can move. Just our experience, I know there are people who really like it here. All depends on what you are looking for.....
I have found that if you don't have kids, it's much harder to make friends, especially if you are older. Kids and dogs seem to draw people together. We are looking for a neighborhood with older people next time.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:16 AM

50 posts, read 140,170 times
Lived most of my life in and around NYC and hated it.

Lived in Savannah, GA for four years, and it's a one-of-a-kind place, but not exactly ideal for putting down roots/starting a family.

I've lived in Wake Forest, NC now for just about four years and I love it. It's not Shangri-La, as others have noted, but if you have realistic expectations and do your homework, you can find a really nice place to live in NC.

So "yes", it has met my expectations.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:48 AM

247 posts, read 452,332 times
I moved from Tucson, AZ this past summer and love it here. We visited once before my husband was offered a job and it felt like home right away. We do have kids and dogs though, so maybe that's it.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:56 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,423,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
I have found that if you don't have kids, it's much harder to make friends, especially if you are older. Kids and dogs seem to draw people together. We are looking for a neighborhood with older people next time.
We're empty nesters and moved here 2 yrs ago, We've made more friends in the 2 yrs here than the previous 20 yrs in RI. Our neighborhood is primarily a mixture of retired and young professionals with a few young families w/kids.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:18 AM

757 posts, read 2,083,137 times
Moved from Apex to Wake Forest...I know not very far..and love it. We actually moved to Wake Forest because we found the particular house we liked at the time. Every weekend since, we have been exploring Wake Forest. My husband and I keep saying...wow, we love Wake Forest. So far we visited the downtown shops, a couple of restaurants that we love (Blue Fin Bistro, mellow mushroom, and soho bakery for sweets), strolled with our dog through the historic district admiring all those grand older homes (there are a lot of them here), been to the dog park, went to the new Joyner park...which is the best public park I've ever been to, walked on the scenic greenways, and been to the saturday farmers market. It has exceeded my expectations!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary