Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 09:27 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,094,205 times

Advertisements

A couple days ago, a beautiful smooth-skinned green frog hopped into the inside window of my car when I had the door open. It looked like something out of the Avatar movie. I'd seen tiny green tree frogs near our patio light, but nothing so large (about 3.5 inches or more). I finally coaxed it out.

Today I found this website and learned it was a Squirrel Tree Frog: Squirrel Treefrog - North Carolina

I had no clue NC had so many frogs and toads:
Frogs and Toads of North Carolina I also never knew they made so many distinct sounds; there are audio files on the site.

We're very used to the bullfrog sounds (there are far fewer than when I first moved in). I'm hoping the sound files on that website will help me identify some of the weird sounds I've heard in the backyard -- I always thought they were birds!

I was wondering what kinds of frogs everyone sees in the Triangle -- and wondering if people in newer developments ever hear or see any frogs at all.

Do you? If so, what kinds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 09:56 AM

476 posts, read 1,676,707 times
We live in a relatively new development (4 years old) in NW Cary and do have a lot of frogs.

I have seen a few of the beautiful bright green "Squirrel" tree frogs, but many more teeny-tiny tan colored frogs which I am guessing are in the "Chorus" family based on their affinity for song. I love hearing the ongoing chirping and singing in the evenings AND that they eat the skeeters!

I have seen a lot of big fat toads exclusively at night, and especially near the street lamps. I cannot identify them by the photos on the site (Great link BTW) without a real one in front of me, but if I were to guess it would be the American Toad.

Now, this is nothing compared to when I lived in Orlando and near the lakes the roads would literally have HUNDREDS, maybe thousands. You could NOT avoid them and if you were driving at night it was like a sci-fi film... NO kidding.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:20 AM

251 posts, read 515,150 times
We have a large partially wooded lot and there are toads all over out yard....they are fun to watch. My children LOVE them! Our neighbor down the street had a very large tortoise in their yard as well last week...it's nice to live somewhere where there is so much wildlife!

Old 05-23-2010, 11:07 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,094,205 times
I think I had my frogs mixed up. The Green Treefrog is bigger, so that was the type that was in my car. The Squirrel Treefrog is the tiny type that we see near the patio light.

There have always been a lot of Canada geese around here, too. Yesterday I saw about 30 of them -- most of them goslings -- in a neighbor's yard.

We also have a few resident rabbits; they seem to be thriving, and they have little fear of us.

And I saw a blue heron overhead yesterday, too.

Not bad for city life.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:18 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,823,728 times
The neighbors across the street have a bog/pond in their backyards. You can usually hear the frogs at night but lately with all the rain they have ventured across the street. Really cute critters.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:22 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
When I go to my gym in the early morning, there are frogs in many spots sitting still to be less visible to predators.

Saved one from poisoning in the pool chemicals with the bug scooping net a few days ago.

Got it out and flipped it free on the lawn by the clubhouse.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:15 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,583,555 times
I see a lot of frog in the right season, I think it's a bit too early yet. My dog love to harass them, she doesn't kill/eat them so they might be poisonous.

I also get the occasion turtle and lots of they little black snakes and lizards.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:25 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,575,509 times
We came home to find one stuck to our front door tonight. When my wife called out that there was a frog on the door I thought I'd misheard her. I'm originally from NYC and the only place I ever would expect to see such a thing is in the zoo; I love living here more and more with each passing year and with each new interaction with the real locals.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:53 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,448,965 times
Wish I had more green tree frogs here at my house. I miss seeing them from the inside of the house, when they are drawn to the bugs, drawn to the windows, with the lights on.

We have quite a few toads, which thrills the kids in the neighborhood. I think they have scheduled a Frog Race, no less, for next weekend.

It is a good sign, indeed, if you have frogs and lizards in your area. They do not make areas of pollution 'home.'

Old 05-24-2010, 05:58 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,448,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
I see a lot of frog in the right season, I think it's a bit too early yet. My dog love to harass them, she doesn't kill/eat them so they might be poisonous.

I also get the occasion turtle and lots of they little black snakes and lizards.
Some toads are, indeed, poisonous, but I think many of the variety I am thinking of are actually located in FLA. Toads here may make your dog sick a bit, but I am not sure if biting one would actually kill it. Skinks -- the pretty striped, irridescent lizards-of-sorts can also deliver a very nasty bite, but most pets have a hard time catching one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary