Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 07:38 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,144,769 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Raleigh, though my parents were in the first wave of RTP-related immigration. They moved there in 1965. We've moved away now because my husband could not find a semiconductor hardware job in the Triangle.

If you want to find Raleigh natives, don't live in new construction. I don't know any natives who are in the new subdivisions in West Cary. I do know several who have expanded their older house in order to stay in the same place in North Raleigh or ITB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 08:00 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,917,683 times
Most of us are still here. We're spread out all over the county now

Old 03-11-2010, 08:04 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,653,672 times
The other member that was born in the old Rex is no longer a member

My neighbor is a native and he is still around. He just doesn't post on message boards

Hm, our neighborhood is not new construction. But it's not a downtown Cary either. We area mix and have a few natives...

Old 03-11-2010, 08:15 AM

932 posts, read 3,096,456 times
My family is from Raleigh, I grew up in Cary and live in Garner. I think the natives are still here, there are just so many newcomers that you don't notice. We're outnumbered!

Old 03-11-2010, 08:25 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,752,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC! View Post
The other member that was born in the old Rex is no longer a member

My neighbor is a native and he is still around. He just doesn't post on message boards

Hm, our neighborhood is not new construction. But it's not a downtown Cary either. We area mix and have a few natives...

I was born in Old Rex. 1970

My parents moved here from Henderson in the early 1960s. My grandfather had lived in Raleigh as a boy in the late 20s or early 30s, but moved to Henderson at some point during his childhood.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:38 AM

335 posts, read 800,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
If you want to find Raleigh natives, don't live in new construction. I don't know any natives who are in the new subdivisions in West Cary.
I do. Got relatives born in Raleigh, moved to a (now) older subdivision of Cary after college, had kids and now live in a new house in SW Cary. About half my family are Raleigh natives. Most of them still live there. One cousin moved to Va. Beach.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:38 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,653,672 times
Another old Rex! I miss that other member even if he didn't care for carpetbaggers I learned a lot about ITB

And you are in Morrisville now? Wow, I bet there are even less natives there than Cary! How do you like Morrisville as a native of the Triangle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I was born in Old Rex. 1970

My parents moved here from Henderson in the early 1960s. My grandfather had lived in Raleigh as a boy in the late 20s or early 30s, but moved to Henderson at some point during his childhood.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:45 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,812,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnr4411 View Post
Just wondering...

I just moved to the Raleigh area about 9 months ago, and have only met 2 people from Raleigh. Why is there no one in Raleigh from Raleigh?
There are plenty of us here, but transplants tend to live among, and socialize with, other transplants.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:55 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,163,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnr4411 View Post
Just wondering...

I just moved to the Raleigh area about 9 months ago, and have only met 2 people from Raleigh. Why is there no one in Raleigh from Raleigh?
Your answer is in bold.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:28 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,141,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnerMama View Post
My family is from Raleigh, I grew up in Cary and live in Garner. I think the natives are still here, there are just so many newcomers that you don't notice. We're outnumbered!
That's for sure! For newcomers, it's important to understand just how much growth there has been in the last 4 decades or so. Since 1970, Wake County population has quadrupled from about 229,000 to over 900,000. The county population since 1990 has more than doubled. One can make an argument that the growth has only accelerated over time. While some of this growth is undoubtedly from births, much more of it was from newcomers.
The Raleigh of 1970 was actually smaller than the Cary of today. Sometimes it's hard for me to even wrap my head around that fact. And, speaking of Cary, it only had 7640 people back then. Can you imagine?

Like others have said, if you want to find locals, you are best to look inside the beltline and in older/established suburban areas. Much of North Raleigh is established enough to find first generation local adults. Many of these locals were born of transfers from IBM/Nortel in the 60's, 70's and early 80's. I'd imagine that there might be some differing opinions of whether these people are "considered" local given their families' short history in the area. For instance, I'll be that the Carolina Country Club wouldn't see them as locals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary