Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 05:38 AM

122 posts, read 441,899 times

Advertisements

Just wondering...

I just moved to the Raleigh area about 9 months ago, and have only met 2 people from Raleigh. Why is there no one in Raleigh from Raleigh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 05:43 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
I'm here. Grew up IBT near NCSU. Most of the people I went to high school with are still here as well as many natives who went away to college and eventually moved back. I live in SE Cary now and lots of my neighbors are natives too.

Last edited by lamishra; 03-11-2010 at 06:04 AM..

Old 03-11-2010, 05:51 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,448,965 times
Depends largely upon where you live, and work, and the places you frequent, as to how many native Raleigh-ites you may encounter.

I suppose many younger people from Raleigh have moved away over the years for the same reasons many of us have moved here from other areas. Wilmington is actually my hometown, as it was my Mother's and her family's, and my husband's family is old, old Wilmington, going back many generations. When our daughter graduated from HS in 2005, we moved to the general area -- we're in SW Cary -- with my husband's work, and left Wilmington. Our daughter will finish her college studies in the next year or so, and has no intentions of trying to live and work in Wilmington, or the Raleigh area, or even the state. For what she wants to do, she'll have to go to larger cities, and look for publishing 'meccas.'

Many Raleigh natives still live inside the beltline. One of my friends from college, returned to Raleigh years ago, so I have an opportunity to meet people originally from the area. In SW Cary, however, I'd be hard-pressed to meet many locals -- although I have met some lovely people whose farms were sold and turned into large developments, and I met a most lovely elderly Cary woman whose name is that of one of the major streets here at a bridge get-together. That was kinda fun -- to hear about this end of the county back in the day.

I wonder how long one must live in an area, to be able to say they are from there? Having been here since 2005, my husband and I really consider ourselves Cary-ians (or I guess it must be Caryites), although we are former Wilmingtonians.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:12 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
Not only people moving away, but so many have moved in over the years, they outnumber us.

I was born in Raleigh and always lived ITB growing up and have lived in the area all my life. About 13 or 14 years ago, I moved "over there" to Cary with my now wife and the way my father acted, you would think I moved to California or something. It also did not help that I married a darn yankee. Now I live in Morrisville.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:19 AM

814 posts, read 2,007,055 times
I find this post amusing as most people come on and ask something like "why do all the people in Raleigh do X", as if it is something only done in this area. When, as you say, a huge part of the population are not from here. I agree with the above comment that the percentage varies, based on where you live. However, I live ITB, am not from here(although I am from the south and have family here), and neither are most of the people on my street!

Old 03-11-2010, 06:24 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
My husband did the same thing -- grew up ITB, lived in the area all of his life, married a Yankee, and moved outside the Beltline. His relatives had a similar response. Keep in mind that the Brentwood subdivision is about a block from the Beltline.

I think a lot of natives work in the State government and live ITB. More non-natives work in RTP and live in Cary and North Raleigh.

Of course, those are generalities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Not only people moving away, but so many have moved in over the years, they outnumber us.

I was born in Raleigh and always lived ITB growing up and have lived in the area all my life. About 13 or 14 years ago, I moved "over there" to Cary with my now wife and the way my father acted, you would think I moved to California or something. It also did not help that I married a darn yankee. Now I live in Morrisville.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:36 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,158,694 times
i dont think i know a single person whose family is actually from Raleigh.... i know some people from NC in general, from the South, and from somewhere else who lived in Raleigh at one point, moved away, and moved back....

Old 03-11-2010, 06:45 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
Mine is. I think it just depends where you live and what circles you move around in.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:17 AM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,496,454 times
Grew up in Cary, went away for college to Wilmington, then moved back and bought a house in Durham, and my dad lives in Apex/Cary still. A lot of my friends grew up in the area.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:31 AM

881 posts, read 2,253,636 times
Not Raleigh but I grew up in Durham and after finishing undergrad at ncsu moved to Winston for a few years but now I am back. Just judging based on my fb friends from school most people from the area tend to hang out with the same people they grew up with. Not to say they haven't made any new friends or everyone is this way just seems to be a trend I noticed. For example there are certain restaurants my family and friends from here eat at and pretty much the only patrons will be natives.

I always laugh when people say "wow you are like the only person I've met that actually grew up in Durham" because I'm thinking really? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary