Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 03:28 PM

959 posts, read 4,490,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
What's the one thing that someone moving to Raleigh (or the Triangle) really ought to know before they get there?
Psychologically prepare yourself for super sized bugs In another thread I was talking about the hummingbird I'd seen a couple of times in my yard - I saw my "hummingbird" again today up close and realized it was a dragonfly I've NEVER in my life seen such a huge insect. It's the size of my hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 03:41 PM

460 posts, read 2,420,327 times
Default Now that is funny!

I should know better than to drink while reading this I just spit tea all over the keyboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigoblue View Post
Psychologically prepare yourself for super sized bugs In another thread I was talking about the hummingbird I'd seen a couple of times in my yard - I saw my "hummingbird" again today up close and realized it was a dragonfly I've NEVER in my life seen such a huge insect. It's the size of my hand.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:10 PM

214 posts, read 663,189 times
Curly: You know what the secret of life is?
Mitch: No, what?
Curly: This.
Mitch: Your finger?
Curly: One thing. Just one thing. You stick to that and everything else don't mean ****.
Mitch: That's great, but what's the one thing?
Curly: That's what you've got to figure out.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:39 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,443,680 times
I love seeing the personalities come out in this thread!

And I love getting the tips. I'm ready to hit Raleigh next week. I grew up about an hour or so north in Virginia. I've lived in Blacksburg, Richmond, and now Hopkinsville, KY. I don't think I'll be surprised culturally, but I'm enjoying learning from everyone else's experiences.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:58 PM

225 posts, read 953,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
My one piece of advice: Buy a GPS for your car!
Ditto!

I also do have to agree about the big bugs. Now, we had plenty of bugs from where we came from, but, they are supersized down here!

Old 06-04-2007, 06:06 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,329,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigoblue View Post

There's such a thing as a hummingbird moth....
It's the neatest thing. looks just like a hummingbird (green and everything) except it has antennae and comes around the backyard and sips out of the flowers....

Old 06-04-2007, 06:27 PM

161 posts, read 558,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyrider View Post
Of course, then got dissed by the next poster for not answering the original question ...

I just see so many posts from folks who seem to center their entire decision on moving to the area on buying a cheaper house, and I was wondering if we were the only ones moving for other reasons like I said in my post ... climate, people, change of attitude ...
Given that buying a home is the biggest purchase you will ever make, it does have to be a factor for people when thinking of relocating, no matter where they go. But if "cheap housing" were the sole motivator, there are plenty of places all across the country one can go to for that!

Old 06-04-2007, 08:17 PM

959 posts, read 4,490,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipL View Post
There's such a thing as a hummingbird moth....
It's the neatest thing. looks just like a hummingbird (green and everything) except it has antennae and comes around the backyard and sips out of the flowers....
I looked up a photo of the hummmingbird moth. Very pretty But definitely not what I've been seeing. I got to see it up close for quite a while b/c it got trapped in my garage. HUGE dragonfly. That's what I had thought it was the first time I saw it too but it was so enormous (for a bug) I convinced myself it was a really big hummingbird

Old 06-05-2007, 06:55 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,842,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
My one piece of advice: Buy a GPS for your car! It will alleviate soooooo much stress. Seriously. I got lost a few times during my early months here & I became hesitant to drive to new places because I was so scared of getting lost again. Then my darling husband gave my my GPS and now the possibilities are endless! I feel much more comfortable exploring different communities in the Triangle & it has definitely improved my quality of life. Definitely the best money we've spent all year.

Absolutely true. I have been to the outer banks, down through Campbell College, up Rte 1 to the VA line, and all over the triangle with a lot more confidence thanks to the GPS!

Old 06-05-2007, 04:35 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,656,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
That is NC is not the same as where you just moved from. Deal with it or don't move down here.
Amazing....someone doesn't like my post.....lol.

I am sorry....but it's not rude to state that NC is not where you are coming from. I like NC as NC even though I am not from here orgianlly here. (And I liked my hometown and was transplanted due to a job....we didn't have a choice.)

Why do so many transplants want to turn a great state into just what they left?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary