Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 08:20 AM

533 posts, read 1,198,810 times

Advertisements

We have very little landscaping to speak of, and I am getting anxious to start planting this spring. What are some of the best places to buy compost, perennials, shrubs, and trees? I'm looking for alternatives to big box stores that are going to have a wide selection as well as knowledgable staff who can answer my questions about gardening in this area. I'm in Durham, so close would be great, but am willing to make a drive for great plants.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 08:34 AM

502 posts, read 1,251,638 times
We drive down to the Garden Supply Company on Old Apex RD in Cary. They are great at answering questions and making suggestions. In addition to great customer service, they are usually cheaper than Lowes/Home Depot. And, their products are superior to the "big boxes."

Old 03-13-2010, 08:39 AM

441 posts, read 1,291,697 times
Post Nursery in Rolesville on 401. Very knowledgeable staff.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:52 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
We are heading for Hudson Hardware here in Clayton to see if their spring has started.

Otherwise we are starting from seed this year with our new gardens--flowers and vegetables.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:59 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,070 times
We like the Family Garden Center on hwy 55 in Cary/Apex (not sure which town it falls in). They have another one over off 54 in Raleigh not too terribly far from the farmer's market, which is another good option.

This year we have already started our peas from seed and got one of those little nursery boxes to try starting peppers, watermelon, and some 4 o'clocks from seed. It's fun for the kids to watch them grow. We'll see how it goes, and also plan to find some perennials for the front yard that are already growing.

I can't wait to be out there playing in the dirt again!

Old 03-13-2010, 09:05 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times
Southern States, it's an agricultural co-op, has a vast selection, good prices, and knowledgeable people. They are also friendly. I also do a fair sized veggie garden, their seeds have a very high germination percentage, and their potted plants survive well. The only times I have ever had one die was when the Deer got to it. I've already started some of my veggies, Broccoli, Cauliflower, and head cabbage, along with red onions and the big Texas Sweet onions. All of these things can take a frost. I made a mistake about 5 years ago and planted squash too early, they came up about 4 inches high, it frosted, I had to replant. I'd do my first planting on Carrots and Spinach this afternoon. Plant the low to the ground stuff on the south side of the garden and get progressively taller as it heads north. Oh yeah, in about 2 more weeks, put out your hummingbird feeders, try to keep the feeders out of direct sunlight, the sugar water mix goes sour faster in direct sun. It is easier and cheaper to mix your own. I use a one part sugar to three parts water and food coloring is not good for the hummers. During the peak of summer we will go thru over a quart of mix in a day. If properly fed, they will return to within 100 yds of where they nested last year. Sometimes their language is not fit for childrens ears.

Last edited by Dusty Rhodes; 03-13-2010 at 09:17 AM..

Old 03-13-2010, 09:07 AM

422 posts, read 1,362,355 times
Coley Bunch Nursery on Old Hwy 75 north of Durham between Butner and Stem. They were nice, helpful and knowledgeable last year as it was my first voray into container gardening for my porch.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:27 AM

280 posts, read 741,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Oh yeah, in about 2 more weeks, put out your hummingbird feeders, try to keep the feeders out of direct sunlight, the sugar water mix goes sour faster in direct sun. It is easier and cheaper to mix your own. I use a one part sugar to three parts water and food coloring is not good for the hummers. During the peak of summer we will go thru over a quart of mix in a day. If properly fed, they will return to within 100 yds of where they nested last year. Sometimes their language is not fit for childrens ears.
LOL I am sure my older one will like it Thanks for the tips.
I have a few humming feeders do they need to be placed a few feet apart ? I have read that the humming birds are territorial.Hopefully a few birds will visit us this year since the boys are all excited to put the feeders out in the garden next week.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:48 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,422,405 times
Farmer's market in Raleigh! Great selection, reasonable priced.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:15 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Go to Angier and hit (1) Broadwells, (2) Old Stage Nursery, and (3) Tarheel Nursery, all within a stone's throw of each other. Broadwells is huge - acres and acres. Plants cost a few bucks each - you could save 75% - 90% of what you'd pay at retail. Old Stage is a bit smaller, but with more variety. Prices are a bit higher, but still well below retail. At both you load your car up and then pay the man at the front by check. Tarheel is the smallest of the 3 - most stuff is in greenhouses. Not quite as inexpensive, but has more "specialty" plants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary