Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 08:40 AM
P51 P51 started this thread

61 posts, read 306,591 times

Advertisements

What I will probably miss the most about Dallas:

1) Tex-mex
2) Whataburger
3) Dallas Cowboys on TV every weekend
4) 1310 The Ticket in my car (sports talk radio)
5) Vast number of good restaurants to choose from
6) people who say "fixin" and "yall"
7) Great selection of public golf courses

What I won't miss:

1) The Rangers (glorified double A baseball team)
2) 98+ degrees and no rain for 3 months straight every summer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 08:42 AM

19 posts, read 47,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P51 View Post
What I will probably miss the most about Dallas:

6) people who say "fixin" and "yall"
7) Great selection of public golf courses
You won't miss #6 and 7 as we have them in NC. Can't help you on the Tex-Mex.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:11 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
I'm not a native Texan. Although my old boss said everyone's a native after 10 years. Here's a few off the top of my head:
Running around White Rock Lake
Friendly people - Great friends
Texas sunsets
Cardinals
Cheap College Courses
Thunderstorms
Sunny Days - Don't mind the heat. IMHO midwest humidity worse than Dallas.
Self service gasoline stations. Free car wash with fillup.
TexMex, my favorite Chinese restaurant
No state income tax
75 degrees on Thanksgiving

What I don't miss:
Spending a fortune to keep fleas off my pets, mosquitoes, having to spray yard
The gnats that invade White Rock at sunset.
Strange looking bugs, even though many are harmless.
Sprawl
Not a pedestrian friendly city

Last edited by tigerlily; 06-11-2007 at 09:18 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 06-11-2007, 09:30 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,057,895 times
Tigerlily, I'm confused. Are you comparing some of those Texas qualities to Oregon or North Carolina?

Old 06-11-2007, 10:44 AM

217 posts, read 800,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Tigerlily, I'm confused. Are you comparing some of those Texas qualities to Oregon or North Carolina?

I would guess she is comparing it to Oregon because of the comment of self service gas stations. (In Oregon you cannot pump your own gas...and I have to admit that I miss that about Oregon.) I have only pumped my own gas once and I am not ashamed of that. I really hate the smell of gas. (bring on the jokes and comments. ) Now I have to arrange for dh to take which ever vehicle needs gas. "oh gee, I didn't realize that the van was almost empty...since you have it you might as well fill it up)..

Old 06-11-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Sorry. I guess Portland. I should have just posted what I missed from Dallas.

Old 06-11-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
I would guess she is comparing it to Oregon because of the comment of self service gas stations. (In Oregon you cannot pump your own gas...and I have to admit that I miss that about Oregon.) I have only pumped my own gas once and I am not ashamed of that. I really hate the smell of gas. (bring on the jokes and comments. ) Now I have to arrange for dh to take which ever vehicle needs gas. "oh gee, I didn't realize that the van was almost empty...since you have it you might as well fill it up)..
I never pumped gas until I moved from Cleveland to Dallas. I was actually very proud of myself. LOL. After we moved to Portland, I realized how much I hated waiting for someone else to pump the gas. If I was on my way to work or if it was raining I used a full service station. In Portland, they pump the gas, but that's all. The full service stations in Dallas, checked your oil, tires, plus cleaned the windshield without asking, plus the free carwash with a fillup. They don't do that in Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary