U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2007, 11:20 AM

298 posts, read 917,688 times

Advertisements

We're relocating down to Raleigh and had a few questions on Morrisville that I can't seem to find the answer to. Is there any disadvantage to living there as opposed to living in Cary (roads, schools, services, etc)? It seems like we'll be going into Cary for all the shopping anyway. The concerns I've heard are:

RDU flight path noise
Roads being worse than Cary due to the tax base
Train noise

The advantage for us is that we'll be working in RTP, so it would be a shorter commute.

Specifically we were looking at Providence Place.

Any help would be appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 11:25 AM

5,572 posts, read 16,467,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlevi27 View Post
RDU flight path noise
Train noise

The advantage for us is that we'll be working in RTP, so it would be a shorter commute.
Yes,
Yes,
Yes

and Yes

Old 06-04-2007, 11:43 AM

11 posts, read 42,943 times
All the concerns you heard are true and you will especially feel it where Providence Place is located.

It is growing though so I know they will be putting more money into the roads soon (actually widening the road that Providence Place is located off of, Church St.). With that, most of the Cary traffic travels through Morrisville to get home so that can be a nightmare. Morrisville has a small townish feel to it and I know they wanted to retain that but there is a lot of development going on so I'm not sure how true that will be in about 5 years. Morrisville provides easier access to the western part of the Triangle (Durham, Chapel Hill, even Apex & west Raleigh) in my opinion as it is closer to I-40 than many parts of Cary.

I lived in Morrisville for 2 years and liked it more than if I lived in Cary so I'm a little biased. For shopping, I traveled to Southpoint Mall in Durham, Harris Teeter in Morrisville for grocery, and Brier Creek for Wal-Mart/Target/movies and other extras. I went to Cary occasionally for these as well.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:33 PM

336 posts, read 1,434,819 times
i just moved to morrisville a little over a month ago, and we too looked into cary (my husband works in the RTP). i am very happy with our decision. cary is a very nice town. has everything you need. but, it is quite a ways further from the research park, especially if you find a place in south cary. my husband has a 10 minute commute and though the plane noise can get annoying, you get used to it. and it's really not that bad, especially with the windows closed. i barely notice them in the house. also, like brownie said, cary is further from durham and chapel hill, which are areas we really wanted to be close to. morrisville is very central to everything. it's about 15 minutes to raleigh, durham and about 20 to chapel hill.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:06 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,697,054 times
Morrisville needs to upgrade it's roads, particularly Morrisville Carpenter and the railroad crossing with 54, which is a mess most of the day and always at peak hours. The growth in housing has generated significant increases in traffic volume and the roads were built 50 years ago with little or no improvement.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:54 PM

997 posts, read 4,435,584 times
Have you considered Breckenridge? It is not new but a nice resale neighborhood. 540 is coming just north of it but there are some parts of the neighborhood that you won't be affected by it. It is in the flight path but further out than Providence Place. It is very close to RTP as well. It has some nice ammenities and is within walking distance to shopping. Unfortunately for Providence Place you can't get any closer to the airport, 540 or the train.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:25 PM

2,834 posts, read 11,471,317 times
I grew up in chapel hill and "back in the day" morrisville really was just the location for the airport.............honestly 12 years ago it was the same way! I remember looking for an apartment in morrisville and there wasn't much to choose from then................

So, the difficulty is morrisville is bursting at the seams (the place is only something like 12 square miles!) with developments, but there is only so many places the houses can go. More houses, more people, more wear and tear on the roads. You will definitely get the airport noise. I have lots of friends in morrisville and the preston area in cary...........they say the planes don't bother them. I notice them when I am there visiting, but tend to not notice it while indoors.

Cary is actually quite large and spreads south snaking along US 1..........I always think of cary near morrisville and cary near apex. So, the areas that are closer to morrisville are going to have the similar issues, planes, traffic and construction.

Some people love the convenience of living in that part of the triangle because their commute to the park is usually not too bad. Other people would rather have more space and a longer drive to work or don't tend to work in the park. Personally, I need a little more space than morrisville can offer!!!

Leigh

Old 06-04-2007, 10:27 PM

12,458 posts, read 30,367,627 times
I sold a few townhouses in Morrisville about 3 years ago. There wasn't even a grocery store!

Morrisville has been just a farming community and finally developers have gotten farmers to sell their land.

Morrisville is now just a bedroom community to Cary. There isn't anything wrong with living there and its very close to RTP. The negatives would be if the plane noise or the train noise bothers you.

Vicki

Old 06-05-2007, 04:12 AM

39,058 posts, read 67,677,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlevi27 View Post
We're relocating down to Raleigh and had a few questions on Morrisville that I can't seem to find the answer to. Is there any disadvantage to living there as opposed to living in Cary (roads, schools, services, etc)? It seems like we'll be going into Cary for all the shopping anyway. The concerns I've heard are:

RDU flight path noise
Train noise

Specifically we were looking at Providence Place.

Any help would be appreciated!
Providence Place extends far enough from the tracks that train noise will not be tremendous if you buy farther back in the subdivision.
I-540 is likely to be much noisier, IMO.
You can sit on porches in Kitts Creek and watch the planes fly over Providence Place. In the evening, they glisten in the setting sun.
The roads are a concern, as it is unclear how access to Hwy 54 West will be handled once the rail crossing is closed. If it is closed. That could make access inconvenient, but I don't think plans are complete.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:52 AM

3,450 posts, read 4,378,572 times
Plane noise in Morrisville does not really bother us. We just sold in Morrisville to get away from the traffic and congested feel. Very soulless existence but that is the price of convenience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary