Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 03:59 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,598,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
I didn't say they don't have meat for sale. Next time your there ask the butcher to cut you a steak. See if you can find the room where they cut meat and ring the bell for service.

Every meat they have is prepackaged at an offsite location.. They have cheaper prices on most stuff. Their meat "department" isn't one of them. Food lion is usually much cheaper then Wal-Mart with meat comparison.

I don't believe the previous poster was saying that they took out fresh meat from ENC FL stores but they temporarily just shipped it in like Wal-Mart does from my observation.
They used to have the traditional butcher room with glass windows at the back of the store. There were butcher(s) on duty and could cut something for you. When the stores were remodeled, this was closed in - the back of the store is a long row of freezer cases now - and the butchers were repurposed or laid off. I know one who was laid off and works as a butcher for a different grocer now.

Maybe this was an experiment like someone else said and the Raleigh market stores will keep the butcher department.
There may be someone in the back room now cutting stuff, I don't know. That was not the case immediately after the remodel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 05:44 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,764,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
They used to have the traditional butcher room with glass windows at the back of the store. There were butcher(s) on duty and could cut something for you. When the stores were remodeled, this was closed in - the back of the store is a long row of freezer cases now - and the butchers were repurposed or laid off. I know one who was laid off and works as a butcher for a different grocer now.

Maybe this was an experiment like someone else said and the Raleigh market stores will keep the butcher department.
There may be someone in the back room now cutting stuff, I don't know. That was not the case immediately after the remodel.
I asked. Greenville was one of their test markets. They got mixed reviews and gave up on the program, so now they're cutting beef again (but not pork).

Old 08-29-2015, 08:11 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpains29 View Post
Food Lion is the Roses of grocery stores
Never thought about it before, but you're right.

Old 08-30-2015, 01:50 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
Was just over there earlier and took some photos of what I'm talking about. Is it the biggest deal in the world, of course not, but I think others like to be in a pleasing environment when they shop as well and the new finishes there are so bland and a definite downgrade from before.

The old tile had more coloration within each tile and was a 16x16 or 18x18. There were accent tiles Ina. Pattern running down the aisles. The new stuff has little variation and is the lowest quality Armstrong standard VCT. They use better stuff in a school cafeteria.

A second shot shows some remnants of the plank look vinyl they took up from the wine section and the new tile going up to it. This is all after the major reset earlier this week so they can now go forward and put the rest in.
Attached Thumbnails
Food Lion pulls plans for Triangle Bloom stores-image.jpg  

Old 08-30-2015, 01:51 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
I guess I can only upload one pic at a time with the iPad. This is the wine area. The gondolas used to run perpendicular to the rest here to set it off from the rest of it. Now it's all just in a normal run with other stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Food Lion pulls plans for Triangle Bloom stores-image.jpg  

Old 08-30-2015, 02:50 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,004 times
Shame they're doing away with the plank vinyl in the wine area. I know it's silly but it does add a touch of flair to an otherwise boring white floor.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:27 AM

4,262 posts, read 4,713,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf_ncsu View Post
They did the exact same thing to the Food Lion store on the corner of Strickland Road and Ray Road. Before the renovations earlier this year, it was a really nice store. This store was originally intended to be a Bloom store, but was built as a Food Lion about 4 years ago. The changes have been a downgrade. The store continues to be clean, but it's just bland. I think they could have just left it the way it was - everything still looked pristine!
I wonder how sales in that store after the renovation compare to sales before the renovation.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:52 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
Maybe the Food Lion home management read the stories about Cary being so "beige" and took it literally that people prefer the color beige for everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary