Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2010, 08:56 PM

2 posts, read 5,346 times

Advertisements

My family is considering buying a home in Kitts Creek. I have not seen any posts about noise from the trains riding in front of the development in front of the development. Does anyone know how many times a train runs through there daily? Also, do they blow the train horn before going over the crossing? The development doesn't seem to be in the flight pattern of RDU Airport but we haven't been out there to hear the trains.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 10:50 PM

16 posts, read 111,235 times
I can't speak for the trains, but everything in morrisville is within hearing distance of airplanes. Doesn't bother me though. It's just background noise

Old 03-16-2010, 05:51 AM

26 posts, read 66,430 times
In Kitts Creek, the plane noise is minimal. In fact, I wouldn't even notice it if I didn't actually see the planes in the distance.

There is train noise, especially in the front of the development. And yes, they do blow the horn. It's only a few times a day so it's not much of a burden. I work from home and I'm not bothered by it.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:56 AM

2 posts, read 5,735 times
The development is not in the RDU noise abatement zone. You can find the noise maps at http://www.rduaircraftnoise.com.

The train whistle noise should be minimal once they close the crossings at Barbee Rd and then at Church/54.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:15 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times
You can't hear the planes because of the trains.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:38 AM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,496,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyjane1 View Post
, do they blow the train horn before going over the crossing?
Pretty sure that is a law for any rail road crossing.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:41 AM

86 posts, read 142,688 times
[LEFT]RubyJane - are you buying new construction or the Southern Plantation plan 8 inventory home? Be sure to get a price reduction on either since they recently increased the price of new build by $22,000. They have had a very bad 2009 selling only a handful of homes. The neighborhood will not be completed at this rate for another 5-8 years. If you want to sell in that time you will be competing against new builds which always makes sell a used home hard. Becareful with this neighborhood and bargain. Other neighborhoods in that area have sold much better and will have greater resale.
[/LEFT]

Old 03-23-2010, 12:00 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,741 times
Default Train horns...

This is an issue that use to bug me to no end...and the more you pay attention to it, the worse it seems...
I lived in a town where the trains came through whenever...I was like 1 mile away...but do to the forest or something...it had a amplifyde effect...like a boise radio...

I even called the train company...csx or something, and complained...they said there was nothing that could be done cause it was a federal law that they blow...

But what has been done is reduced decimal horns...horns that aren't so loud....

One of the smartest things you can ever do for yourself is before you buy a home...make sure there are not train tracks near-by...
Expecially ones with no gates....
Go to where you want to buy a house...and just stay in the house for hours...listen for barking dogs, airplanes and train horns...

Cause when your home, and trying to read or just think...the interuption of a train horn can 'derail' your concentration...and by then it's to late to do anything about it...

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-31-2010 at 06:57 AM..

Old 03-31-2010, 06:16 AM

2 posts, read 5,346 times
Thank you so much for your input on the train noise and home values in Kitts Creek. The custom home we were interested in was way overpriced given the comps in the last six months. Also, the train noise was a concern so we bought elsewhere.

Thanks again to everyone who replied. It is very helpful to hear from people who live in the neighborhood and surrounding area

Old 04-02-2010, 07:41 AM

86 posts, read 142,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyjane1 View Post
Thank you so much for your input on the train noise and home values in Kitts Creek. The custom home we were interested in was way overpriced given the comps in the last six months. Also, the train noise was a concern so we bought elsewhere.

Thanks again to everyone who replied. It is very helpful to hear from people who live in the neighborhood and surrounding area

Glad you made a good decision. They have had to reduce prices and still shifting very few homes. Not great for resale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary