Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 02:16 PM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,496,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Well, all I can do is tell you about my personal experiences at branches of Coastal Federal Credit Union in Durham. At my local branch, the teller is definitely in the same building. I can even see them on the TV screen, handling the pneumatic tube canister I sent to them as well as the documents I placed in the canister.
They are changing the video tellers, when is the last time you have gone? They used to have a tube on the Page Rd one, but they have changed now, and it is all done by scaning checks, etc now. It is a whole new video teller than a few months back (or maybe even more recently, I don't go to them that much)

Old 03-16-2010, 02:27 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,618,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T|K View Post
They are changing the video tellers, when is the last time you have gone? They used to have a tube on the Page Rd one, but they have changed now, and it is all done by scaning checks, etc now. It is a whole new video teller than a few months back (or maybe even more recently, I don't go to them that much)
Yeah, there was no tube when I went. I had to put my check into a slot similar to an ATM machine. There was a little window for me to put my driver's license face down on. I've no idea how a cashier's check transaction would be handled though, especially if there are no tellers actually in the building with you. The only reason I go into a bank is for free notary services, or a cashier's check. The rest of the time I just use the ATM (which isn't all the often anyhow).

Old 03-16-2010, 03:10 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,057,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T|K View Post
It's been about 2 weeks since I was last in my local CFCU branch in the Woodcroft shopping center. They had the pneumatic tube system. This whole other system you folks have mentioned is a whole new concept that I have not encountered. I need to go back in there within the week, so I'll get to see if they've changed things or not.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:17 PM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,496,193 times
Quote:
It's been about 2 weeks since I was last in my local CFCU branch in the Woodcroft shopping center. They had the pneumatic tube system. This whole other system you folks have mentioned is a whole new concept that I have not encountered. I need to go back in there within the week, so I'll get to see if they've changed things or not.
I would guess that they will be changing those soon as well, unless they decide the ones on Page Road are a big flop. I haven't been to the Woodcroft one, so I don't know about that one! I didn't mind the old was as much, but the new one is even more odd!

I doubt you will see many of the other banks go to this, as they really like the customer service aspect of greeting the customer and knowing the regulars, and they do so many business clients, I don't think it would work well. What happens when a business needs to deposit a very large sum of cash? Do they have to put in each dollar at a time? What if they need a large change order, how does that happen? I would guess though that not many businesses use Credit Unions though.

Maybe the people at the main desk at the bank will be handling the non run of the mill deposit a check, etc.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:18 PM

29 posts, read 92,232 times
I didn't see RTP Federal Credit Union mentioned in the thread, but that's another one that fits your description. They are very small, only 4 branches, but everything is face to face and they use the cash points atm network that I think all the other CU's use. Be aware the first time you go to one of their branches though, the doors are always locked, not because they are closed, but because they are controlled remotely by the tellers to dissuade would-be robbers.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:32 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,457 times
Quote:
They most definitely are in the same building. How else would they be able to access the information that I send to them through the pneumatic tube?
You are correct. I've conducted physical site audits of several and they absolutely are behind the walls.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:27 AM

2 posts, read 14,066 times
I recently closed my Coastal accounts. They closed a branch that was very convenient to me which is a pain. The lack of drive-thru's at the branches is an issue too. They have changed several policies lately which are annoying as well. I wanted to defer an auto payment one month due to a ton of bills/issues hitting at once. I was informed they no longer allow this. My roommate wanted to get a cash advance on her VISA and Coastal also will not do this anymore. The whole video teller thing was never an issue with me. I moved all my money to State Employees and have been satisfied so far.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:06 PM

168 posts, read 349,981 times
We have been with Coastal for 12 years. Very few minor issues. Overall we have been pleased. Many of the branches are switching to video tellers. Those tellers are in a satellite location in Raleigh.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:53 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,599,256 times
We've been with Coastal for nearly 4 years and are very happy with them. The only problem that I have is logging on to their online banking system. Not only do they make me enter my username and password, they make me answer one of 6-8 secret questions each time. Unfortunately, my wife was the one who opened the online account and she set up all the secret answers. Do you know what your mother-in-law's MIDDLE name is? How about the elementary school that your spouse attended? I have to call my wife anytime I need to do any online banking

Old 08-25-2012, 12:55 PM

387 posts, read 1,045,698 times
Joined Coastal when I was with IBM in the mid-90's, and I will never use a for-profit bank again. We have been very happy with Coastal over many years. We have our mortgage, car loan, home equity, credit cards, and multiple savings/money market accounts with them. Their Go Green checking can't be beat. Pays 2.48%, so we transferred the bulk of our savings with Coastal into checking to get the better rate. I'm not a fan of the machine tellers, but I guess I can deal with it.

They have this really excellent program called VIP, if you qualify, they give you a bonus at the end of the year. This past year we got $300 just because of the mix of accounts we have. There was another bonus dividend we missed getting because we only had 2 out of 3 types of the accounts required. If we open a CD account with some of our savings, we will qualify for that dividend as well, so we will make sure to do that this year.

I have a friend that works for BB&T, and I will tell you that they (probably like most banks), find ways to charge you fees any way they can. My friend, who is basically a personal banker with a fancy title, will refer her clients with investable assets over to BB&T Investment services. She gets a commission for this. She continues to get a commission for each year that client stays invested year after year. Even though all she did was a one time referral (a "push" over to the Investment services arm). She has nothing to do with the investments at all once the referral is made. The client is paying for her commission year after year through higher management fees. I was appalled. But this is how for-profit banks work. Buyer beware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary