Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 02:11 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPnerd View Post
I been to London, you give up nothing. Unless you are a druid, LOL> Your cost of living would be so much lower here, you could live in a mansion, no... I'm not kidding. yes, you would have to pay for part of your health care, but you will only pay around 3 bucks( or less) a gal. for gas. Food is better, ( like 100% better), and cheaper by 1/4 to 1/2 in cases such as fresh produce and beef.
several private schools and a few with year round schedules, as you are used to there. Plus, SPACE to move around. I bet you could find a 3,000sq ft home on an acre in Wake Forest or north Durum for about 340K's. hows that sound? with rooms that are bigger than a bread box and walk in closets! ( see, told you've I've been there, LOL) I love london... but to live there is unthinkable to me! Just on climate alone. what do have there, about a month and a half of summer? and MAYBE a decent fall in Sept oct. ? the climate here is moderate all year, you would have to get used to a little more heat in the summer, but t here are pool communities, or buy a home with one, plus the beach is about 21/2 hrs away. or the Mts are about 3hrs away.
Yes, you do give up lots! having visited, compared to being from there, is totally different. You are looking at it from your perspective, not that of someone willing to give up their home country, leave everything they know, family and friends, and move here not really knowing what to expect or if they are giving it up for nothing..no gt of a green card. And, a little more heat??? August can easily be 95-99f with 90% + humidity. I love the weather here but it can be oppressive, let's be honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 04:43 PM

10 posts, read 27,836 times
Well, if you’re not sure I’d suggest that you visit and see if it’s a good fit for you. The wife and I are from NY, and relocated here four years ago. We actually took our honeymoon in London after a hurricane canceled our original plans. I keep in touch with my cousin in London; she moved there after marrying a Brit and is currently an editor for a newspaper.

Things I can tell you that you’ll find vastly different… well most obviously the transit system. You really have to own/maintain/insure a car here. It’s more of an option/luxury there, and here it is pretty essential. I really enjoyed being able to hop on the tube and walk a few blocks to wherever I wanted/needed to go in old smoke. Even in the Raleigh ‘city’ setting everything is really much too far apart to depend primarily on public transportation in my opinion.

The food obviously is going to be a drastic change; although there are many different type of fare here that I’m sure you will find to your liking. People tend to forget how different cultural foods can be; but if they choose to return to their country of origin, one of the main reasons they list is food statistically.

If I’m making this a list short; I guess the other main point I’d have to mention in passing is the degree of censorship that you’ll experience. Some parents may think of this as a benefit to some extent; but that will largely depend on your value set. In comparison to British culture; you’ll probably come to think that most people here are extremely prude. With the exception of premium cable/satellite channels you’ll be rather unlikely to hear obscenities spoken aloud in most forms of media.

With the relatively small amount of time I’ve spent in London it’s hard to tell exactly how prominent these cultural differences could be… but what I can tell you is that I saw breasts on broadcast television in the mid-afternoon, saw elderly women drinking beer with breakfast on a Sunday morning, and heard a probably 80+ year old women loudly tell someone nearby to [mod]language[/mod] off; and that was all within the course of one day hahaha. I’m far beyond being offended by any of these examples, but any one of these could ruffle the feathers of some of the more conservative among us.

BTW; this may or may not interest you, but you’ll find that the most common theology in this region is Baptist. I won’t render an opinion on this topic per se, but I will offer you the information so that you can delve further in your own research.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-22-2010 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: Clarification...

Old 03-22-2010, 06:00 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,335,548 times
Quote:
here Olive Garden is seen as haute cuisine
Ummmm, not really. OP, we actually have some great restaurants in the USA.

I had severe culture shock moving to Raleigh from New York. But it worked out.

If you want a massive change in terms of pace of life, weather, politics, availability of prime entertainment, mass to private transit, government to private pension and benefits, come on over.

Neither is better, they're just totally different. Definitely come for a long visit and see if it is a culture you enjoy.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:38 AM

33 posts, read 47,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janinetw View Post
My husband has asked if he wants to transfer to North Carolina. We both have good jobs in London working in IT for an Investment Bank. We live in a realtively large house in inner London and our daughter (6 years old) goes to a good private school.

I like the idea of all the space in North Carolina but am worried about what I would be giving up here and if North Carolina could match it. I hear the education is meant to be good there but am not so sure about the housing quality of life etc. And mostly I am worried about uprooting my daughterand also from my perspectigve that after living in central London for 20 years that I will find Raleigh a bit quiet.

On the other hand my husband and I often think that the UK is going down hill and think about leaving.

I wondered if anyone could offer me their thoughts on this - especially if you are also famliar with London!

Thanks

I moved from London a few years ago and so, like a few others who have already replied with some good info, I can perhaps give you a "Londoner's" view on things and from what we experienced after we moved here.

Much will depend on the folowing:

1. What your motivations are for moving.
2. How do you regard your UK/London life.
3. How long will your move be for.

It depends on how much you like your life in London and if you regard it as your home and roots, etc. and have established friends and family.

If you can afford to, I would recommend you do what we did, which is to keep your London home and let it out and then rent a home over here.
If you have some extra rent after paying any mortgage/costs, you can use that to pay towards your rent here.
This way, if it doesn't work out here, you can return within a year and not have to face the task of buying a home and the buying costs, etc.

The rental agents here are not geared around tenants, so you will find you have to spend a lot of time ringing around and chasing people, unless you have someone to help you with this at the company where you are moving to.
The agent's websites have no registration system for tenants.

At the top end of the home market, there is a lot of choice and you get a lot of house the higher the rent you go, as well as more niceties and luxury touches.
This is partly due to the economic climate where some home owners have been unable to sell their home, so they offer them for rent.
Plus: You get a nicer, not-made-for-rental-house and perhaps, not rented out before.
Minus: the landlord is likely to be a reluctant landlord and may not have measures in place to deal with maintenance and other things that can arise.
You need to check this aspect and where the landlord lives too so they can easily visit you to deal with or supervise things.

At the bottom of the market, there is very little choice and we have seen mostly grotty/unkempt homes that private landlords present to you with perplexing enthusiasm since many have not been lived in for many months or more (typically) and many have not been updated since late 70's or early 80's, and which feature all sad and bad design ideas.

You may not be looking in this area, but there are lots of apartment complexes here (purpose built flats only for rent, mostly on one level, but there are also townhouses too) and who are always screaming out for tenants.
The biggest you will find are 3 bedroom apartments, around 1400/1500 sq ft.

Be warned that all these advertise themselves as "communities", but few can be described that way with even the wildest imagination.
Also, as tenants, no-one living there has any vested interest in anything, so most have varying degrees of problems, some quite serious.

You may not have experienced a living environment where everyone is renting, which is a foregin concept to most Brits, except for those who grew up or who come direcly from Council Estates.

Pluses for us.

Most homes have at least a good/average level of surrounding greenness around them, trees, bushes, grass, unless its a brand new development, of which there are dozens.
Generally, homes will have a bathroom for each bedroom and built in closets (wardrobes).
You will get more space for your money than you expect, but that is a result of the size of the city and its population and of the state of the economy.

Less crowded environment, less traffic, easy commute to work (I would guess its around 30 minutes for most people and it can be much less - mine is about 15 mins)

Driving around is generally easy (apart from the behavior of others), parking is almost all free and plentiful.
The roads here are pretty good and getting around the towns are fine, but there are lots of potholes in Raleigh that the city takes ages to fill them.

I'm in America!
This excitement has not left me yet and since I couldn't wait to leave the UK, I am delighted to live here, even with all the negs.

The attitude of American people is generally more refreshing and positive than in the UK and many things are easier and less hassle here.
There is no evident class distinction and people are not generally stuck up about status or where they live/car they own.

The workplace environment is usually much more relaxed and not stuffy like the UK.
No suits/ties or dress code here, unless its specified (mostly is smart/casual).

You will find lots of choice in shopping for almost everything and the availability here is quite good.
Shopping hours are long enough to cope with almost anyone's work schedule.

Almost all but the $1 stores shops and all restaurants have proper bathrooms (toilets not baths) that are generally clean, have soap and hot water.
Yes, this is not common in the UK as most Brits know!

TV can be better here than the UK.
You can also setup a slingbox in your UK home before you go, so you can watch your favorite UK TV progs via the web.
A dual tuner cable/satellite box is best, so you can change channels etc., independent of what the tenant in your home is doing/watching.

Minuses/Caveats

The laid-back/easy going nature of the locals can sometimes be quite annoying and shocking when its do to with important stuff and what you think someone should not be laid back about.
They won't be told that its not OK for them to be that way.

Cost of living.
For us, our overall cost if living is higher than in the UK.

Distances between things.
If you have not been to the US before or to a low population area in the US, you may not know, understand or appreciate the large distances that are often between things here, like shops, spaces between buildings and various amenities.
Living in London, you often have lots of things within a short walking distance and you don't need to drive very much unless you choose to.

Once you are away from the city limits of the Triangle towns and for Raleigh, outside the 1-540 (which is the equivalent of the M25 but it doesn't go all the way around, yet), distances to all kinds of places/facilities increases markedly.
This can have a big effect on your lifestyle choices and the time you have available for all sorts of things.

Because of the above, you won't see many people walking around, which I kind of miss.
But to be honest, during late Spring and the Summer, its best not to be out and about here as the weather here is hot and roasting.
Thank goodness for AC at home, which is not a feature in the UK but should be now.

You need to drive everywhere here and you will have to make a conscious decision to go for a walk or join a health club. You are likely to put on weight if not.
There is no public transport here, save for pathetic and unreliable twice (?) an hour and very limited bus service in Raleigh.
(The universities have their own free bus services in and around the campuses).

Culture, etc.
Raleigh is quite a small city and so it does not have a big city feel or have the facilities/attractions etc, that you might like or take for granted in London.
There is a small section in the downtown area that "could" be described as having "big city or urban" feel, but you could probably walk around it in around 45 minutes.

There are no stand out things in the Triangle, save for the Universities and RTP, which is like an island in itself and is devoid of anything outside of work.
You will most likely work in RTP with your backgrounds.

Culture and entertainment here are mainly local/regional with a few things being what you might know from the UK or have a name that is internationally recognised.
Many people here haven't had the exposure to a variety of culture/music that you may have had in London as many people have never left the city or state, never mind the country, so keep that in mind when talking to them.

Driving.
People's driving habits here leave a lot to be desired and you will be shocked by what you see and you will find yourself saying something like "I don't believe what I just saw!
Driving is London is often stressful and people are aggressive and very territorial, but here they are often dangerous, reckless and very selfish.

Utilities are high here.
Expect to pay upwards of $150 per month for electric in a small house and say $75 for gas if you have it. Minimum of $250/month for electric for 2500 sq ft home and up.
Internet, TV and cell phones/service are all much higher here than the UK, thanks to monopolies, a lack of choice and bad legislation.
I used to think that the USA was ahead of everyone else and often they are in some areas, but for cellphones and internet, they are surprisingly behind the UK and Europe.

Oh yes, and you have to pay to receive calls on your cellphone.
But since the charging model is to share the overall cost between parties, making calls on cellphones is cheaper than the UK, outside of calling plans.
The big cellphone services require you to agree to a 2-year agreement.
I would not do that as its a very bad deal.
I would recommend a non-contract service, of which there are several with lots of plan options, depending on your usage levels, which will change after you've been here a while.
Cheapest I have found is Tracfone and net10.

I would also recommend magicjack for your home phone (works from your USB port of your computer and broadband connection).
$20 per year and no phone bill ever! (currently free calls only in the USA, Canada and you can take it overseas and make free calls back to USA and receive calls as if you were in the USA).

Good food is quite expensive here, especially fruit and vegetables.
Portions are normally bigger than the UK but you probably know that.

TV here has lots of ads and you will soon tire of them.
With the DVR box, you can minimize this pain, especially if you record everything.

You will work harder in your USA jobs than in UK jobs.

If you lose your jobs, you're going to have a tough time finding new ones.
You may have to relocate to another city or more likely, another state - be prepared for that.

$150K a year easily buys you a lot of time (depending what you do with that money of course) so if you are laid off, you shouldn't have need to panic straightaway.

Last edited by Meadowview; 03-23-2010 at 08:06 AM..

Old 03-23-2010, 07:42 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,101,844 times
Utilities are high here.
Expect to pay upwards of $150 per month for electric in a small house and say $75 for gas if you have it. Minimum of $250/month for electric for 2500 sq ft home and up.
Internet, TV and cell phones/service are all much higher here than the UK, thanks to monopolies, a lack fo choice and bad legislation.
I used to think that the USA was ahead of everyone else and often they are in some areas, but for cellphones and internet, they are surprisingly behind the UK and Europe.

Isn't that the truth!!! I work for an au pair agency and I CONSTANTLY have to tell the au pairs that they will "pay" for incoming calls too so not to give out their phone number to everyone. They are horrified by that!!!!

Old 03-23-2010, 07:52 AM

Meadowview's post is excellent! The most comprehensive, accurate and fair post! They mentioned things I'd forgotten as I've lived here so long! You couldn't expect to do better than this in gather info!

Old 03-23-2010, 08:17 AM

363 posts, read 1,212,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
Ummmm, not really. OP, we actually have some great restaurants in the USA.
Yes you do. Just none of them are in Raleigh

Food in London is light years ahead of what you can get in Raleigh both in terms of produce available and restaurants. London has world class restaurants at all price levels. On produce side there is some good stuff here but harder to find. I remember when we came here realtor (who was a former Brit) asked where we liked to shop in UK which was Waitrose, so she pointed us in Harris Teeter direction. What a disaster!!!! I've never found a piece of meat or fish in HT that wasn't invested with salt. You can do better at farmers market or whole foods/freshmarket type places but it's still not up there with places like billingsgate fish market or borough market in london or frankly what you get in the higher end brit supermarkets

Old 03-23-2010, 04:42 PM

487 posts, read 890,644 times
One thing I miss about SE England is being 'on the circuit' for everything. When you see a show/tour/exhibit/event mentioned on TV in the UK, it will very likely be passing through London soon, or maybe even exclusively there.

There are places you can get that in the US -- maybe New York, LA, Chicago. DC to a lesser extent. This is not the case in Raleigh, to put it mildly. The shows that are mentioned on the national media will likely take a large effort to get to. There are exceptions of course, but I'm talking about a general trend. Raleigh is, in this respect, a backwater.

In general, I'd advise you:
-if it's temporary (couple of years tops), why not? But still better to go overseas somewhere more interesting.

- if it's permanent, and you like your London life, not in a million years.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:04 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times
We do have BBC America in HD on the telly here.

And don't forget that we fanatically cling to that unique measurement system that was *not* first adopted by the French.

Surely that scores us some points?

Frank

Old 03-24-2010, 07:16 AM

Frank, tried to rep you but you are over your quota, you must be putting out a lot of good posts
I think you should change your name to NC net Ambassador...you pulled out the old BBC America, that get's em everytime
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary