Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 04:44 PM

244 posts, read 921,008 times

Advertisements

Hello fellow city-data enthusiasts, my girlfriend and I are nearing the end of our lease and are seriously considering a move to the Triangle area. We are graduate students at Florida State University and have lived in Tallahassee for the last seven years. Other cities that we have considered relocating to include Denver, Austin, Toronto, and Portland. We have both submitted numerous applications to various places in the aforementioned cities and have not heard so much as a peep from prospective employers. Because of this, we have asked our favorite professor, who went to graduate school in Raleigh, to see if he could pull some strings and get us jobs in the Triangle area. If we do manage to find employment in this region we are both willing to relocate, but neither of us has been to this region before so naturally we have a couple of questions:

1.) We are both interested in pursuing a relatively car-free, outdoorsy, lifestyle. Is this possible in this region?

2.) We are both ethnic food enthusiasts (Ethiopian, Latin, Korean, Vietnamese, Indian, etc.). Is there a good selection of ethnic restaurants in this region?

3.) We are interested in living in a dense, urban, diverse neighborhood. Are there a good selection of neighborhoods fitting this description in this region?

4.) How does this region compare to the other cities that I mentioned us being interested in moving to (Denver, Austin, Portland, Toronto)? Obviously, I know that it is not as large as these cities, but is there a good amount of "big city" amenities balanced with more outdoorsy pursuits (hiking/biking trails, lakes, nice parks, etc.)?

5.) Finally, which city in the region would suit us best? We are both politically and socially progressive, prone towards spells of vegetarianism, interested in homebrewing, gardening and the like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 04:54 PM

23 posts, read 42,963 times
of all the cities you mentioned, Raleigh is the least progressive. It sounds like based on your description Austin would be the best fit for you. also, of all the states of the cities you mentioned other than oregon, NC has the highest unemployment and the bleakest future from an economic standpoint. If you want progressivness, dense population, and diversity I would look outside of the south. Have you thought about Seattle, I have family that lives out there and they tell me how beautiful it is. It's has everything your looking for and more of it.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:24 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I realize that the Triangle area is the least progressive/liberal out of all the areas that I mentioned but it is still an island of blue in a see of red which is kind of how Tallahassee is. Believe me, I'd jump at the chance to live in Seattle, Portland, or any other large city, but as I said before, we might have a chance to land jobs in the greater Triangle area, and in this economy....Plus, my girlfriend is scared of moving to the northwest because of the gloomy, rainy weather. She is a true Floridian, born and raised in the Tampa Bay area. I was born and raised in the greater Miami area, but I've lived in northern Virginia, Kansas City, Kentucky, and now, Tallahassee, so I appreciate the seasons quite a bit. Austin would be great too but, again, I can't seem to find a job there and it might be too damn hot for me. Plus, they just put a man in prison for 35 years in Texas for possession, not sale, of marijuana. I don't know how much he had, I think half a pound or something, but still, 35 years, that's ludicrous. I can't live in a state with policies like that, even if I don't indulge myself. Oh well, we have several more months of job searching before we have to leave so maybe we'll get a call back from one of our original list of possible relocation cities. Denver is my personal fav from everything I've read.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:39 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,338,396 times
My immediate reaction is Portland, having lived there as well as here. It's got a revitalized urban center, is very progressive, tons of nature (mountains to the right, ocean to the left). Lots of parks, hiking and outdoorsy stuff. Good restaurants and lots of authentic Japanese and other Asian cuisine. There is also lots of culture and community pride. It's a great place.

The weather is sunny all summer, and then the cloudy and rainy winter sets in, but it's really not bad! Weathewise, I prefer Portland or Seattle to the Raleigh climate, but that's just me.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:41 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,170,204 times
No good public transit.

Dangerous for pedestrians.

Probably not where you want to live.

Also, unemployment is quite high except in a few fields.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:42 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,099,752 times
Go where you can both find jobs.

Did you mean "car-free" or "care-free" in your first bullet item? You can't live a "car-free" life here at all.

There are plenty of ethnic restaurants, but probably not as many as in Miami and certainly not as many as in other bigger cities.

There are some dense, urban neighborhoods, especially in Durham. They're nothing like other dense, urban neighborhoods in bigger cities. They're smaller with fewer options. It's mostly a land of suburbia here in the Triangle.

There is plenty of outdoorsy stuff to do if you look for it. Like Florida, it's super-hot in the summer, but we are land-locked.

You would be happy in the Chapel Hill area, but it's very expensive.

If you want to live in Denver, that might better fit your needs, especially if you get into winter sports. There are some beautiful, wide-open spaces there. Not so much here in the Triangle.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:49 PM

3,953 posts, read 5,092,281 times
Default Keep Austin Weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by JProg305 View Post
Plus, they just put a man in prison for 35 years in Texas for possession, not sale, of marijuana. I don't know how much he had, I think half a pound or something, but still, 35 years, that's ludicrous.
Most major employers in the Triangle do drug testing before hiring. Sounds like Austin, TX or California are gonna be your best choices.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:50 PM

Wow, thanks for all of the replies. I must admit, I thought I would get a few more people encouraging me to move to the area, but I appreciate diversity of opinion and honesty too, so thanks for that. I meant car free, but care free is nice too! I know it may sound like a nutty reason to move to an area, but I want to live in a region that has a good amount of local craft breweries and brewpubs and I know that the Triangle area is pretty good in this regard, for the southeast at least. I know, I know, save your breath, Portland is "beervana" and I'd LOVE to live there for at least a little while, but it is pretty far from both of our families and we are still in the process of finishing our dissertations. We just wanted a change of scenery from Tallahassee for a couple of years or so to get re-energized. We planned to live in the next city we relocate to for a while and try to network and find better paying jobs in a larger city that we would like to live in for a long stretch of time.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:52 PM

Like I said, I do not indulge myself, I just can't support a place that sets such ridiculous anti-drug policies. Our prisons are full as it is without having to cram them full of non-violent drug offenders. Austin is in Texas by the way, just because the city has a "liberal" image does not mean that the local laws are any more tolerant than those in the rest of the state. Colorado has the most lenient laws of any of the states that I've considered relocating to anyway.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:55 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,837,831 times
I think Portland sounds more suitable for you than Raleigh, except that the unemployment rate there is over 10%. It is overcast much of the year, but the rain (which isn't constant, BTW) really helps keep the air clean and fresh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary