Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2010, 04:11 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,160,322 times

Advertisements

It seems Saturday was the day to celebrate, given the large number of drunk people with green shirts I saw barhopping.
It kind of freaked me out when my Irish-ancestry neighbor asked me how corned beef is, because he never had it before.... I know this isn't Boston, but I thought a lot of Irish people lived in the South. I'm basing this solely on Gone With the Wind, though...

Anyways, I'm curious what you guys are all doing for the holiday, from nothing to going crazy....

I'm having 2 other couples over and we're having corned beef and cabbage and potatoes, and Irish soda bread and Raleigh beer (possibly dyed green when the color allows).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 05:11 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,100,766 times
We celebrated with Pei Wei takeout.

Actually, my father's birthday was St. Patrick's Day, and my mother would always (every year since I can remember) make corned beef and cabbage to celebrate. We didn't have an ounce of Irish blood in us, either.

I kind of miss the corned beef and cabbage today.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:12 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,079,436 times
Happy St. Patrick's Day too!

Old 03-17-2010, 07:48 PM

533 posts, read 1,199,434 times
We did the corned beef and cabbage today. I probably only eat it once a year, and it actually turned out great. Now I'm enjoying a Guiness and a quiet house.

Happy St. Patrick's day. Hope everyone stays safe.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:12 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,874,126 times
I went to see the Irish Tenors at Meymandi Hall as part of the Broadway South series. It's just a co-incidence that it was on St Patrick's Day. They did a lot of old Irish songs, and ended with Danny Boy. Twas very pleasant. Dinner was petite filet..no corned beef for this Brit

I think Americans celebrate the day more than anyone.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:37 PM

838 posts, read 2,525,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
I think Americans celebrate the day more than anyone.
You are very right, St. Patrick's day in Ireland was celebrated mostly like Thanksgiving. It was the Irish-Americans that really whooped up the holiday and made it more into a festival.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:31 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,114,450 times
Um....we did nothing. Neither of us are Irish and I don't know anyone who is!

Old 03-20-2010, 06:59 AM

223 posts, read 566,861 times
I am irish by marriage and cook corned beef once a year for my husband and kids. They love it. I was amazed when i moved here almost 4 years ago that a big corned beef was a bit hard to find around St Patricks Day- most stores had like 2 pound roasts that after you cook them turn out to be half that. I was lucky this year and found a good sized corned beef at BJ's. I was amazed really by how few people around here had ever even tried it before. I grew up eating it a few times during the year for Sunday dinner.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:38 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,874,126 times
I know this is after the fact, but I just came across it and thought I'd share. It's about the culture of Ireland as it related to the American eating of Corned Beef & Cabbage.
Irish Corned Beef & Cabbage Kitchen Recipes Irish culture and customs - World Cultures European (PS, Irish bacon is all lean meat with a bit of fat at the edge..not to be confused with the bacon we eat here.)

Now put away that horrible corned beef and eat something proper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary