Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2010, 01:42 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times

Advertisements

I don't have a picture of these they are so small. I started seeing them about a week ago. They are very small, like baby flies. They like to hang around my cat's water bowl. I keep finding dead ones floating in the water. It's pretty gross. I would think they are flies, except I haven't seen any bigger ones flying around, just the small ones.

Is this a North Carolina thing, or did some of them come from the South American fruit I bought recently?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 02:00 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I don't have a picture of these they are so small. I started seeing them about a week ago. They are very small, like baby flies. They like to hang around my cat's water bowl. I keep finding dead ones floating in the water. It's pretty gross. I would think they are flies, except I haven't seen any bigger ones flying around, just the small ones.

Is this a North Carolina thing, or did some of them come from the South American fruit I bought recently?
are you talking abot knats http://www.westopthebugs.com/images/FungusGnatLg.jpg
or no see ums?
http://www.entomology.wisc.edu/diagl...No-see-Ums.jpg
;

;
;
;

Old 03-19-2010, 02:38 PM

69 posts, read 177,316 times
probably fruit flies or gnats. If they are inside the usual culprit is some fruit or vegetables that they've gotten into.

We had a horrible infestation and we found some old potatoes in a drawer we rarely used was the problem.

To get rid of them we created traps by filling a cup with some vinegar and water just a bit and then created a funnel with some paper and taping it to the top of the cup. The flies can get into the small hole but can't get out and die in the vinegar. The smell of the vinegar attracts them.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:09 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
Thanks Beane. I think you might be right about the fruit flies. I'll try your suggestion for getting rid of them. I don't think they are gnats or no-seeums. The numbers seem to be decreasing, although I just had one walk across my laptop screen.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:34 PM

569 posts, read 1,977,621 times
Could also be drain flies. We had them once in our shower. Poured drain cleaner down the drain and they disappeared and haven't been back.
http://www.westopthebugs.com/images/DrainFlyLg.jpg
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2071.html

Old 07-08-2013, 05:39 PM

1 posts, read 18,564 times
Hello,

I started seeing those same little bugs. Did a little searching and found this link. Click on the link below and it will have a pic of this insect called the drain fly. I poured bleach down the drain and covered my shower drain when not in use just to see if it will slow down the infestation.

[url=http://www.orkin.com/ask-the-orkin-man/flying-insects-in-laundry-room]Small, black, flying insects in laundry room[/url]

Old 07-10-2013, 05:52 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post

We saw some small insects with clear wings we never saw before. Found mainly dead on floor.

Our exterminator said they pop up at times. He sprayed and gone so far.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:34 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times
Phorid flies, often referred to as gnats. Small, and they tend to run and scurry around while on a flat surface like countertops. You can bring those and fruit flies home with your produce. Keep your drains clean, pour bleach and boiling water down them periodically. They also love toilets, and moist soil of potted plants. Nasty little critters!

Old 07-12-2013, 08:28 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,254,136 times
We had a terrible infestation with sand/fungus gnats (they go by many names) last year. They got into our house plants and were indestructible! We tried everything but at the end only a generous portion of beneficial nematodes combined with sticky traps finally took care of those nasty buggers. Horrible, horrible things. If you have any plants - beware!

Old 08-05-2016, 10:44 AM

1 posts, read 10,629 times
Default minature flies

I have these in my bathroom in the sink. they are not gnats or fruit flies. they hover around the sink and look like miniature flies. However they do not fly away like a fly would. I would like to find out how to get rid of them. I think I noticed them for the first time about two weeks ago. any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. [email]elizabeth.owen@windstream.net[/email]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary