Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2006, 12:02 PM

145 posts, read 250,591 times

Advertisements

Hello to everyone, I'm really glad I found this forum when I did because it is really come down to the wire for us to decide wether or not we want to relocate... Here is the situation...I currently reside in Erie, Pa along with the rest of my family except my only brother who now lives out west. I am married with three young children, ten, six and two. I was laid off from the City of Erie Police Department last October due to the cities budget being a mess to say the least... I have found work outside of my field here in Erie to make ends meet, but am really looking forward getting back into my chosen profession. After three trips to the NC area and several interviews I have received a final offer of employment from the Cary, NC Police Department. My wife who is a nurse, has also been able to arrange for gainful employment in the region. Now the tough question...Do we take the plunge? My wife and I have been fighting with this decision for weeks and been up and down with our answers. We both argree the area is pretty nice...much busier than here in Erie, but on another note much more progressive also...The number one thing that has begun to concern us is the schools. We all but placed a deposit on an apartment and a home building lot...until we researched the schools more...My children currently go to "the" elementary school in the Township in which we reside...no overcrowding, good teachers, no violence ect...The kids are picked up in front of our house by the bus, and are there way for a two mile ride to school. The building lot we nearly reserved was in Braxton Village, Holly Springs...Any thoughts on this community? We were told at this time our kids would attend Holly Grove Elementary at the new High School but unsure how they would start as the year round schedule has already begun there...Any thoughts on this? We have also been looking for apartments in an around the area, thinking we would need to be on a short term lease until the house was built, any thoughts on thisor recommendation on complexes in and around Cary? I apoligize for the long post, but we really need some honest advise on what one may do in this situation...We are aware the schools area experiencing an overcrowding issue, but are they still great schools once this issue is resolved or under control? Is the Cary and Raleigh area really a great place to raise a young family once the area gets a hold on the growth? We are looking for honest opinions to help make this decision a little easier...Thanks to all that reply..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2006, 12:25 PM

117 posts, read 493,038 times
My wife and I were all ready to move to the Raleigh area when we heard about the overcrowding in the Wake county school system. Im not too concerned with the actually number of kids, its the bussing that killed it for me. I cannot picture my son getting on a bus and driving 30 miles to school. Yes this is an extreme case but it can potentially happen. From what I keep reading and hearing, your children can be bussed to any school county wide.

Old 07-31-2006, 02:09 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
It is true that you can be bussed to schools that are pretty far away. That's my biggest pet peave with the schools along with the constrant redistricting; your kids to go one school for kindergarden but it is very likely that by the time they are in 4th or 5th grade they've already changed schools at least once.

Old 08-01-2006, 08:20 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,692,521 times
gacri,

I sent you a private message regarding Holly Springs!

Old 08-09-2008, 09:49 AM

106 posts, read 502,890 times
Hi Graci!

I cannot comment on the schools as I don't have children yet, but Braxton Village has a lot of young children always playing outside! My husband and I close on a house in Braxton next month and can't wait to move it!! I spent months and months researching areas before choosing Holly Springs and then a few more months researching neighborhoods. I think I saw almost every house in my price point on the market. We love the neighborhood and I loved it even more when I drove through two weekends in a row and two street parties with all the adults and kids out! They took their time building our home (a good thing in my mind). I think total it was about 6-7 months and we are VERY happy with the end result! Good luck to you. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:36 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times
According to his recent posts, it looks like Gacri's interest in North Carolina ended 2 years ago & he is now considering moving to Vegas.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:26 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
What a gamble....lol

Old 08-10-2008, 06:02 PM

17 posts, read 61,227 times
We are in Braxton Village and love it! Everyone is very friendly and there are tons of kids! My kids are at Holly Grove & we have been very happy. Holly Grove is a year-round school, so they started last month. We came in August of last year so my kids missed the first couple weeks. They had no trouble, and they said that they have many new students starting several months into the school year. The high school is not year-round, so they won't start til the end of this month.
I am very happy that we chose Holly Springs!

Old 08-13-2008, 11:02 AM

3 posts, read 6,654 times
This place have been great for my family of 2 kids and my wife and I. Everything you hear is true and a great place to raise a family. Also, they are building so much that they keep adding schools. So the schools are up to date and have the best teachers. Churches are great, family events everywhere. It is truley a family oriented region of the country.

Last edited by mm34b; 08-13-2008 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: No realty ad links permitted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary