Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 02:15 PM

44 posts, read 115,908 times

Advertisements

Can you send me the name and number of the company. We are considering the move in june. Tell us how it went with them as that is fairly cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 03:07 PM

481 posts, read 1,086,440 times
Our company was great but we should have taken a lot less with us. They set the price based on weight which with all the stuff we had , added up. I wish we had purged more and just taken what we really needed. What was heavy I should have sold and with the money I could have saved in the move...just would have bought something new. Oh well... live and learn.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:36 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,107,436 times
It cost us $1,800 to move from Northern NJ (right by the Lincoln tunnel) to SW Durham. We had a five bedroom house filled with stuff. We packed our own boxes and rented a U-Haul. We used local people U-Haul listed on their website to pack the truck in NJ and to unpack in NC. All four men were great and did more than they had to. Couldn't be happier since the moving companies quoted us 6k to 8k.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:41 PM

441 posts, read 1,291,697 times
We used 3 pods from LI to Wake Forest, about $ 2500. plus storage for a few months.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:01 PM

237 posts, read 757,108 times
We moved two years ago from near Albany NY with a company called the Ideal Move.
The website is: the idealmove.com
These guys were great, and reasonable. They go back and forth to hear all the time. If you can hook up a time when they move you and someone else on the way, it will really save you time. Ordinarily I wouldn't suggest having anyone else's things on the truck with yours, but we had them do two trips for us and they were wonderful. DM me if you need more info.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:03 PM

11 posts, read 19,826 times
I just moved from NY area and was looking to cut costs so I used ABF. It meant doing all the work myself on both ends (with the help of $200 worth of labor guys from movinghelp.com) but the transit itself was only $500 for 7-8 feet used on a trailer

If you are not ready to have your stuff delivered by a week or so you'll have to use their storage which costs a reasonable amount...

Old 03-22-2010, 05:22 PM

126 posts, read 314,185 times
I paid $5500 from LI to Asheville in 2004.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:21 AM

18 posts, read 47,516 times
I made it out of New Jersey about 5 months ago and really love it here. I landed in the 5 Points area which is great because I am central to just about everything in Raleigh. This means that I am only 8-15 mins away from practically everywhere. Driving is fun again, btw. My apt complex is on the older side but there is a dedicated maintenance crew on site. I pay $630 for a two bedroom apartment. Amazing after paying $2400 per month in Hoboken. A word of caution: If you pay someone to move you expect to pay more than what is estimated unless you get a binding quote. As has been mentioned previously, you're charged by weight. I ended up paying double what was originally estimated to me.

The only thing missing in Raleigh is a frozen yogurt shop....

Old 03-24-2010, 11:58 AM

7 posts, read 10,983 times
Default Thanks for the info on this!!!

I hope to be moved to North Carolina by the end of the summer. I'm relocating from Hudson County. Thankfully I've moved so much btwn NNJ, NYC, and DC since college that I haven't accumulated much. I'll probably pack up and move on my own and with the help of movers.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:32 PM

21 posts, read 49,352 times
I moved from a 2 bdrm apt in the Bronx to Raleigh. I used the services of abf. If you are unfamiliar with them, basically if you live in the city, they can't drop of pods due to space restrictions soooo....they let u do a 4 hr live load where a guy brings a truck and waits while YOU load YOUR stuff as efficiently as possible from floor to ceiling. Once you're done, they drive off with the trailer with your stuff to their facility in Brooklyn and then off to your destination.
My move cost less than $800 for 2 bdrm apt (I probably had more like 3 bedrooms worth of stuff). My stuff arrived in Raleigh in abt 2 business days and they came and dropped of the trailer for me to unload within 3 business days. So if you don't mind moving your own things or hiring movers....it's an ideal and less costly option. I really have no complaints. Sure, I had to move my own things which wasn't fun but I saved thousands...literally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary