Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 12:29 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,020,941 times

Advertisements

Have been to:
Lowe's
Home Depot
Sears
Costco/Sams/BJs

Anywhere I am not remembering to check? In LA we had a chain called BBQ's Galore that was pretty popular. I'm not looking for anything super high-end...$500 range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 02:04 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,813,458 times
We used to have a BBQs Galore in Crossroads-it's been gone a couple of years.
IMO @ $500 Weber is the only choice. Hard to find on sale. I stumbled onto a closeout last spring at HD and bought a Spirit 310 for $199. One of the best deals on anything I have ever gotten.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:14 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
I bought one of those stainless steel Coleman grills from Lowes a few years ago ($400), prior to moving here to Raleigh. It was fine in the dry Dallas climate, but once we moved here, the thing has started to rust and fall apart. It's not the stainless steel parts that are rusting, it's the regular steel parts (for example, pins in the door hinges) that hold the grill together. Still cooks fine, but doesn't look as good with no doors on it.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:43 PM

300 posts, read 972,865 times
We bought our Weber at Ace Hardware. Much better service than the big box stores and they matched the price.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:25 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Ace Hardware....North Ridge Raleigh

F&G Distributing....Loop Rd. Garner

Old 03-22-2010, 05:38 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,148,457 times
For grills in the $500 down range you are looking in the right place. Big Box stores, Ace, etc....

One comment about the Weber Recommendation. I don't know if it's still true, but Weber's used to have their burners run parallel to the front of the grill, instead of perpendicular. That alone is reason not to get one. Great grill, but with this set-up you can't cook indirect heat. With burners runing front to back in stead (purpendicular to front) you can put on the two side burners on low, use hickory or mesquite on them for flavor, and still cook a butt, a chicken, a turkey, a rack of ribs, or whatever you want, on indirect heat. IMO, one of the great things about grilling is slow-cooking, and once you season the grill with wood flavor and lots of fat drippings, you have a grill that is at least as good as charcoal (my opinion anyway).

Just something to consider when shopping, but the ability to cook indirect is a major plus. I also have found that in that price range, less features is good. I got one with the searing burner on it, and really all it does is reduce my total cooking surface. Having to do it all over again, I'd get something pretty strait forward, 3 or more burners and solid construction, with a good way to modulate the temperature.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:57 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,763,787 times
Check Ace as well - you also should look online. Its convenient to have a grill shipped to your house versus going to buy it in store if you know what you want...and you can save a few bucks (not much but something is better than nothing).

Dont get suckered into the Weber hype - for $500 I would get a Ducane - made by Weber and much better than a $500 Weber. Weber's dont start getting good until the $700+ range and even then...overpriced. Its disgusting to see a plastic piece of junk grill like the Spirit going for $400+. Its a great $200 grill.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:57 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
One comment about the Weber Recommendation. I don't know if it's still true, but Weber's used to have their burners run parallel to the front of the grill, instead of perpendicular. That alone is reason not to get one. Great grill, but with this set-up you can't cook indirect heat. With burners runing front to back in stead (purpendicular to front) you can put on the two side burners on low, use hickory or mesquite on them for flavor, and still cook a butt, a chicken, a turkey, a rack of ribs, or whatever you want, on indirect heat. IMO, one of the great things about grilling is slow-cooking, and once you season the grill with wood flavor and lots of fat drippings, you have a grill that is at least as good as charcoal (my opinion anyway).
Good point. I often use my grill as a make-shift smoker as well. Turn on one burner really low and put some wood chips in there. Put a pork shoulder on the other side without the burner going.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:39 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times
The Firehouse Casual Living store on US1 also sells grills/smokers. One of the guys that works there is a "Big Green Egg" fanatic. He usually does a demo of the Egg on Saturday's around noon. I've got to admit that the food they let you sample is pretty tasty.
But I'll also acknowledge that smoking meats can be religion to some, and I'm smart enough to not go there here

Frank

Last edited by frankpc; 03-22-2010 at 07:42 AM..

Old 03-22-2010, 07:01 AM

533 posts, read 1,198,373 times
We looked at some grills at The Grilling Store on Roxboro in N. Durham, but ultimately bought one from Lowes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary