Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 09:00 AM

84 posts, read 155,985 times

Advertisements

You are going to get out of Twitter what you put into it.
Meaning if you just sit back and expect everything (and everyone) to come to you then you won't get much out of it.
However, if you search and find local people that have the same interests as you and then engage those people then you will get alot out of the service.

To each their own. I love it because I can stay in contact with friends and family and have a live feed for breaking events.

And in case anyone wants to Follow me:
Marshall Sherard (KE4ZNR) on Twitter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 09:25 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
I use facebook, used to use LiveJournal but it's fading, and I even have a Myspace account that I never really got into and forget I have. I can't see the need for Twitter, since it's hard enough to come up with status updates on Facebook that I think anyone would care about.

But I would not say that any of these is at all particular to The Triangle--Facebook (et al) are immensely popular EVERYWHERE. NRG, are you suggesting that somehow the Triangle is represented on Facebook/Twitter etc more than yer average metro? I would be skeptical of saying that.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
NRG, are you suggesting that somehow the Triangle is represented on Facebook/Twitter etc more than yer average metro? I would be skeptical of saying that.
Well considering we have 3 major Universities and the RTP (which is home to some tech companies) I would say we have just as much of an online presence as other metro areas (if not more).

Being heavily involved in the "Twitter Scene" here in the Triangle I can attest that our "Tweetups" or Twitter Meetups regularly have attendance in the neighborhood of 100-200 easy.

Social Media is alive and well in Central NC.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:40 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE4ZNR View Post
Social Media is alive and well in Central NC.
I never denied that it is active; I was just saying that social media is popular everywhere and is not a "Triangle" phenomenon.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I never denied that it is active; I was just saying that social media is popular everywhere and is not a "Triangle" phenomenon.
Of course it is

I don't think anyone has disputed that statement at all.

My only point was this:
The heart of Social Media is in San-Fran in CA and a there is a big base in NY.
But I am very happy that we have a large base here in Central NC
which puts us ahead of other Metro areas. I can promise you that Social Media in Central NC is much much larger than in Charlotte

Old 03-22-2010, 09:46 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,159,097 times
i find twitter annoying. i have an account and a bunch of people i dont know following me, even though i never post anything. my wife and i use facebook a lot, as do most of our friends. ive gotten a decent number of updates on there from things like buku, breweries, h&m, etc. i never really think to become a "fan" of things on there to get updates though. maybe i should...

Old 03-22-2010, 09:51 AM

285 posts, read 836,520 times
This is interesting - and something I was looking into recently....

Seeing as I relocated a couple of years ago from the UK, we've found Facebook to be extremely useful as a tool for keeping up with friends & family - sending pictures etc. I do also use it to keep in touch with friends on the go - the iPhone app for it is pretty good...

Have a Twitter account as it became the "buzz", but I still don't think I really GET IT . There is certainly a use for it and it has value, but I think you have to invest time in it to get something out of it - otherwise it is just a case of people mindless blathering on about themselves!

The NEW NEW thing seems to be the location based social media. FourSquare seems to be well known for "checking in/out" wherever you are. I havent looked at it yet but likely will do - seems to be an interesting way of meeting like minded people - probably randomly because you're in the same office/bar/pool/bathroom

One thing I have JUST (i.e. last night) seen is an iPhone app called "TriOut". Looks like a FourSquare kind of thing but specifically for the Triangle. Seeing as I've installed and not left home since I dont know what it does, but seems quite cool for seeing whats going on locally...

Anyone else use these location aware kind of things? Is it just a way of advertising when you're out, so the robbers have an easier ride?

Old 03-22-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
i find twitter annoying. i have an account and a bunch of people i dont know following me, even though i never post anything. .
Like I said in my 1st post: You are only going to get as much out of Twitter as you put into it. I would find it annoying too if I never engaged anyone on the service. You yourself admit you never post anything. So you are never going to get anything in return.

Hey, Twitter ain't for everyone. But those of us who enjoy using the service as a two way form of communication love the stream of info going in and out that keeps us connected.

And I have always said: Use what online services you feel comfortable with and you feel that you get the most out of.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGrant View Post

Have a Twitter account as it became the "buzz", but I still don't think I really GET IT . There is certainly a use for it and it has value, but I think you have to invest time in it to get something out of it - otherwise it is just a case of people mindless blathering on about themselves!
Thanks for understanding my Point: You only get out of it what you put into it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGrant View Post
The NEW NEW thing seems to be the location based social media. FourSquare seems to be well known for "checking in/out" wherever you are. I havent looked at it yet but likely will do - seems to be an interesting way of meeting like minded people - probably randomly because you're in the same office/bar/pool/bathroom

One thing I have JUST (i.e. last night) seen is an iPhone app called "TriOut". Looks like a FourSquare kind of thing but specifically for the Triangle. Seeing as I've installed and not left home since I dont know what it does, but seems quite cool for seeing whats going on locally...

Anyone else use these location aware kind of things? Is it just a way of advertising when you're out, so the robbers have an easier ride?
TriOut was conceived by a couple friends of mine (one being @waynesutton). It is kind of like an NC specific version of FourSquare and it already has a good sized membership base. If you do have an Iphone I would recommend giving it a try.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:52 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE4ZNR View Post
Thanks for understanding my Point: You only get out of it what you put into it

TriOut was conceived by a couple friends of mine (one being @waynesutton). It is kind of like an NC specific version of FourSquare and it already has a good sized membership base. If you do have an Iphone I would recommend giving it a try.
I just got an iPhone yesterday! I'll add it!

I use Facebook constantly - I keep in touch with my entire extended family that way. That is good and bad. I'm a shell of myself on there, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary