Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 04:58 PM

177 posts, read 304,453 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a good place to board my 3 cats for 3-4 days. Each of these cats belongs to one of my three children. We homeschool so they are used to being around the kids all day. One is just now a year and the other two are 6 months old. This is my first experience as a cat owner. I have had several people tell me the cats will be fine left alone with someone coming in to change the litter box and food. Personally, I don't think a "sitter" would do as they wouldn't get very much interaction. Not only do I think they would destroy everything, I think they would be VERY unhappy. Any thoughts/ suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 05:06 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,952,954 times
I know Heritage Animal Hospital does boarding, if you're anywhere near Wake Forest. We use Chris at Bow Wow Meow, who comes in and feeds our three cats as well as emptying the litter box. She plays with them too. We finally went ahead and gave her a key to the house.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:10 PM

792 posts, read 4,487,480 times
Cary Cat Clinic boards as well. But your cats will be much happier at home than taken to an unfamiliar place and caged.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:14 PM

177 posts, read 304,453 times
I am in the garner area.

These cats must be played with ALOT. When my kids go out for a couple of hours-- they cry. One of the cats will meow until he is hoarse. They do not have the run of the house most of the time. They live in the kids rooms. Sometimes together, sometimes apart. My husband is actually allergic to cats. We let them out some but most of the time they are not just running around.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:17 PM

83 posts, read 207,922 times
While there are plenty of places that board, I never do it. I always get a sitter to come by, clean the litter, feed her, and play with her (if she permits). I think (based on her behavior with visitors or the notion of leaving the house) that she'd be seriously upset and worried if she were taken to a kennel.

Although my cat is not happy with me before I leave her, she doesn't make any unusual messes while I'm gone, and acts normal when I return.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:45 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,091,761 times
If they do that when they are in the house, they'll be far worse if left in an unfamiliar environment.

We once boarded our dogs, and our most talkative dog came back with no voice from over-"talking." We felt so guilty that we had left her like that.

We have a family member pet sit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskin View Post
I am in the garner area.

These cats must be played with ALOT. When my kids go out for a couple of hours-- they cry. One of the cats will meow until he is hoarse. They do not have the run of the house most of the time. They live in the kids rooms. Sometimes together, sometimes apart. My husband is actually allergic to cats. We let them out some but most of the time they are not just running around.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:20 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,026,956 times
It'll be pricey, but I toured one of the Petsmart Pethotels and I was impressed. I'd just make sure you board them somewhere with a plexiglass type cage versus a traditional wire type cage. Or maybe that's just what I would prefer be caged in if I was a cat? Good luck!

Old 03-23-2010, 06:22 PM

276 posts, read 648,459 times
I'm so glad you posted this -- I am also trying to figure out what to do with my cat! We are going on our honeymoon in June and will be gone for almost 2 weeks, and I don't know what to do with my cat. My soon-to-be-in-laws live about 40 minutes away, which is pretty far to ask them to drive twice a day to spend time with my cat. And I hate the idea of boarding him at a place where he would be locked up in a crate all day.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:26 PM
jgb

480 posts, read 1,343,424 times
I had to board two cats in a last minute emergency type situation and took them to the Cary PetsMart. It worked out very well for them.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:32 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
call me nuts but I never take a chance on boarding my pets. If I can't take the dog with us or find somebody to tend to the cats regularly, we just don't go.

There are so many air borne viruses and diseases which they might pick up being boarded. And once your cat breaks litter training because of stress or anxiety you will be stuck with a real mess. I just wouldn't chance it

And I have left 3 cats alone with nobody to check on them -emergency I could not help - for as long as 4 days. I simply put down extra litter trays, extra food and water, and made sure they could not get into anything harmful. We all managed well.

I'm surprised you would get cats with an alergic family member and especially to try to confine a cat to one room sounds nearly impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary