Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 10:54 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCrash View Post
Some people may just opt not to go with your house because they don't want to deal with the FSBO business if they can find another house. & Lastly, if you're going to be FSBO, people want a deal. Most FSBO homes are overpriced.
In the past when I was a buyer, I tended to avoid the listings that I knew were FSBO. I knew that there was a good chance my realtor would have to do more work for less money, and I just didn't want the headache. There's one local flat fee firm that always seems to have very overpriced listings that sit on the market for ages - it's a red flag when I see the name on the MLS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 10:56 AM

75 posts, read 146,207 times
Can you tell me about your house? I'd like to see it.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:56 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Given that the the homeowner tax credit ends in about 5 weeks, I think you've got 2 choices:

1) Get a realtor ASAP
2) Drop the house price by 15K minimum. If you still have no offer before the end of the month.... get an agent.

There are several realtors who will either not show a FSBO listing or try to sway the buyer against it. And in this market, I would do everything I could to sell my house.... including using a realtor. 6% commission on a 150K house is 9K.... so it might be better to get an agent than drop your price significantly. Once the tax credit ends the current buying spree might be put on hold for a while. I'd try to ride that wave as quick as I could.

Good luck.

BTW, veritical blinds are very 80s.... I'd take them down.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:44 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidnurze View Post
Can you tell me about your house? I'd like to see it.
You can send a Direct Message to the OP for information, or she can DM you. Real estate advertising, of ANY kind, is not allowed on this forum so providing any more specific information within the thread wouldn't be allowed.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:45 PM

397 posts, read 805,484 times
I sold my house after a year on the market just recently in January. It was a pretty gut-wrenching experience, especially in this market.

I had a relator that listed my house for 3.9%. But he did very little in terms of guidance. Lots of brokers and agents just list houses and hope for the best. I decided to pay up and went with a more expensive high profile agent and paid 5% commission the 2nd time around

Had an offer in 45 days. She had a tremendous amout of information.

Houses 225k & under were getting 3-4x as many shows as 235k houses.

If my last agent would have showed me that information, I could have sold my house a lot quicker. With a $1600-1700 mortgage payment that I needed to get out of, the money adds up really quickly.

When it comes to big ticket purchases, people feel better with agents.
Being cheap can wind up costing you a lot of money. You need your house in the MLS.

Also, your listing agent rarely sells your house - the buyers agent wants to get paid and they like dealing with realtors.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:52 PM

521 posts, read 1,598,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojow View Post
So, if there are any agents out there...how do you target specific buyers, in our case, single, young couples (maybe with one child), older couples (kids grown and downsizing), and incoming grads and residents. I know you network with other agents, but is that really where buyers come from? Or, do agents and buyers do what we did and search the MLS for their criteria?
If I were a real estate agent, I might be disinclined to give you advice on how to successfully forego my services.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:56 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntHombre View Post
If I were a real estate agent, I might be disinclined to give you advice on how to successfully forego my services.
Actually, the OP has an agent, the REALTOR® who posted the listing.
More than not giving away the store for free, the fact is, smart agents will not interfere with that relationship.

But, the OP has a wealth of input already in the thread.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:35 PM

397 posts, read 805,484 times
If your neighbor sold a house under 1000sf for 130k - then it doesn't sound like your overpriced. You'll have a comp to show if that house closes and you'll be in line.

But theres always a bit of luck with selling a house. I got tons of feedback that my house was really nice and priced right.

Just took a lot more in this market to get it sold. You just have to get that 1 offer that sticks.

You need an agent in this market.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:06 PM

502 posts, read 896,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Actually, the OP has an agent, the REALTOR® who posted the listing.
More than not giving away the store for free, the fact is, smart agents will not interfere with that relationship.

But, the OP has a wealth of input already in the thread.
We do not actually have a working agent. It is posted on the MLS through a limited listing service. They have nothing to do with any other part of the process.

We have considered lowering the price. Most of the house in our neighborhood have the same layout. The differences are in elevation, type of deck, lot, and finishes.

I've looked extensively at the comps in our neighborhood and know that last summer two on my street sold for about $143,000. Another house around the corner just went under contract. I don't know the final prices but it was listed at $145,000. In just about every way, our house offers more than these others in at least one if not more ways: our lot is better, our deck wraps around, we have a built in shed under the deck, the landscaping is better, one house backed to the road and another was on the corner with virtually no yard. We also have a new kitchen twice as large as the others and new floors.

It was our hope that these upgrades were at least worth $5000 more. One could not make the changes we did to another house for that price. That is why we priced where we did.

We are coming to the conclusion that people may not be interested in improvements - or at least are unwilling to pay for them.

Thank you for all the advice and tips. We are probably going to go ahead and list with the agent we have bought our other house with. I think it will just make my husband feel better.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:37 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,784 times
It's the price. As someone mentioned, people shopping FSBOs are looking for a great deal, you have it priced as if you had a realtor and you are in no hurry. Buyers worship the god of price per sqft and you are on the high side there also.

Your pics need help, get rid of the photos of the tree and garden. Bedroom photos don't help much either, a bedroom is a bedroom. I don't see any pics of the bathrooms, is there something wrong with the bathrooms? Maybe try a shot standing at the sliding door to the deck back towards the kitchen to try and capture the openness.

But if you really want to sell right now you need to be below market price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary