Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 07:43 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,814,386 times

Advertisements

I voted for Tedesco. I am a registered independent-I was not influenced by my politics when I cast my vote.
This is a very complex issue and I am conflicted about it but in the end the WCPSS is weighted down by its size. Breaking it up into smaller pieces would be a better solution IMO but since that is not likely to happen during my child's time in the system I believe that community based schools are a better solution than the previous setup.
I will also say that the old guard may be getting run over by the Margiotta/Tedesco bus, but at this point they appear to be a group of deer in the headlights unable to stand up for themselves. Del Burns is an embarrassment-the way he suppressed the SAS study is downright shameful.
The last thing about this topic that absolutely confounds me is the overwhelming level of bias Capitol Broadcasting, WRAL, and the N&O have exhibited on this issue. The two Jims (Goodmon and Goodnight) are working the levers feverishly which I find despicable considering their accusations about the Republican party buying the board elections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 08:07 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
As for the schools in a poorer community being a poorer school, I wish someone could truly explain that for me. Why is that true is some cases? I would think a community, with a vested interest in its school, would pour every resource they had -- time, volunteers -- into the school. There are many things that a community can do to support a school that cost the parents and other volunteers very little, aside from their time. Where is that sense of pride, or sense of belonging? This is mine, and I will make it the best it can be? Aptitude, sense of pride, drive to do better, be more -- if not the best -- are those things tied to what's in an individual's bank account?
In a perfect world, this seems like an easy no-brainer. Unfortunately in the real world, those who are the most economically disadvantaged also have very little free time to volunteer, even if they really want to. People who are working three jobs just to pay the rent and feed the kids likely have very little to no free time left over to volunteer at school no matter how much they may want to do so.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:11 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithiekat View Post
Especially those houses near bad schools, right?
But... the magnets in "bad" areas have not improved property values there. The houses are still rentals, mostly in poor repair. They have not stimulated nearby businesses.

People already buy their house with reference to the school to which they are assigned.

The d areas will continue to be bad.

For me the issue is, how do we best educate the kids, none of whom chose their family circumstances?

Old 03-24-2010, 08:38 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,596,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
Oh...I see. So its not just "this high school is 100ft from your doorstep so you should go there"?

Assuming COMMUNITY schools means the closest school to your community....your kids go to.
Not necessarily. I've heard that you are given a radius from your house (In our case, I hope that the radius is 7 or 8 miles) and you can choose a school in that area.

We have 4 elementary schools within 4 miles of our house (Vance, West Lake, Middle Creek, and Banks). All are average (upper 70's in test scores) but they are all year-round. To bring a traditional calendar school into the mix, we have to go 7 miles (Yates Mill, Fuquay Varina). If we have to go 7 miles, I'd prefer our son go to Oak Grove, which is also 7 miles from our house, but has test scores in the upper 80's.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:48 AM

4,160 posts, read 4,874,021 times
Default No easy answers...

So what will the board do when the community based schools become overcrowded.... install more trailers? ...... double session schedules?

What about schools is lower class areas being able to meet federal and state student performance requirements? What happens if they don't measure up to the mandated minimum standards?

What about students who choose to attend magnet schools to participate in programs not offered at their local community schools.... how will they be impacted by the community based school program?

While I'm not against community schools, they are not the best choice for everyone and eliminating busing will take away some of the available flexibility currently within the school system.

I'm not against the new school board wanting to make changes, but their methods and tactics, arrogance, and shot-gun approach of making changes has a lot to be desired and will end up costing taxpayers a lot of money in the long run to pay for their mistakes due to their lack of experience and not understanding the full impact or consequences of their actions. Slow down and think things through before pulling the trigger of change.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:48 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,577,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
In a perfect world, this seems like an easy no-brainer. Unfortunately in the real world, those who are the most economically disadvantaged also have very little free time to volunteer, even if they really want to. People who are working three jobs just to pay the rent and feed the kids likely have very little to no free time left over to volunteer at school no matter how much they may want to do so.
You make it sound like I was given my job that pays me my good salary that allows me to live where I chose and those making less than me were given the 3 jobs which pays less than my salary forcing them to live in the low income district.
Financially-stable people buy assets. Poor people buy liabilities.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:53 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,353,806 times
This issue always leaves me feeling conflicted. On the one hand, I see great value in having a diversified population in a school. Diversity is a strength of our country, and the earlier one learns to listen and see the viewpoints of others the better off they will be as an adult.

On the other hand, I see little value for a child to spend 1.5hrs *a day* (or more in some cases) riding on a bus. The child misses out on time that could better be spent doing homework, playing, spending time with their family, or a myriad of other useful activities. And parents are less likely to be involved in the school as it is a long distance from their homes.

Unfortunately, these two goals (diversity and proximity to schools) are often times in conflict with each other. Despite the progress that has been made, much of our society remains segregated.

I personally won't have to worry about it for a few years, as my son is entering Kindergarten this Summer and elementary schools seem to be based on neighborhood location to a much greater extent than middle schools or high schools.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:57 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,868,030 times
Poetry...your opinion is as important as mine. However, let me share a different perspective - especially for ppl out of this area looking to move here....

Not talking about you - but for anyone to form an opinion on this matter, they really need to research the current system v's the upcoming one. Otherwise they bring in pre-conceived notions based on their life experience that taints how they view the issue.

Most people who have kids in school know intimately how delicate the system is and how a school can go from excellent to poor in the matter of a couple of yrs. based on the population shift. This is why WCPSS has had to move SOME kids around, there is a socioeconomic and racial component to this.

Don't let the new board members' rhetoric fool you...it sounds good to say we need neighborhood schools. Before I had a child in school I thought that sounded good but I didn't have the full picture. Once I researched it I totally changed my mind and saw what could happen....not good.

First, to clear up a misconception - many children do currently go to neighborhood schools. The further from the center of Raleigh/Wake Forest, etc you go, this decreases and is mostly a function of growth and school over crowding due to new residents moving here. It seems to happen more in certain areas of Cary.

We currently have the choice of accepting our assigned school, majority are neighborhood schools, (small % buses for econ. diversity or to reduce overcrowding) or applying to a magnet school or a year round if base school is traditional calendar. Some parents opt for Charter Schools. This is why kids in the same neighborhood don't all go to the same school.

The new system to be implemented, called "neighborhood schools" says that all kids will go to their local school. And have the choice of a magnet and yr round - same as current system.

The problems with this are that the kids who would have been bused are now in their home school, raising the odds that the school will have too many underperforming kids as economic status is linked to academic performance and low parental involvement. This makes the school and homes less desirable.

And, it will cause over-crowding in many schools by as much as 250% according to the latest stats. Other schools will be at 50% capacity - these are inside the beltline in the hi-rent district.

So we will need more schools or more trailers asap just to cover neighborhood schools. Then there is the issue of Magnets and yr rd. If kids choose to go to these, the neighborhood will still have the same issue of kid going to different schools. I honestly don't think we will have enough Magnets to go around. I wonder too if they'll need to make more schools yr round? The new system says we will have the "choice" of this. But how can they promise this when currently only a small % of applications get in as the school has a neighborhood base population assigned to it.

The small savings in bus transportation (if any) will not benefit the school system as the $$ mostly comes from the State. So this is a moot point.

Again, we will see property values depreciate in areas where ppl can least afford it as they will have the undesirable schools... many are teetering on the edge already and are forecast at 150% capacity.

The folks who can already afford the higher end homes will see their values increase at a higher rate as their schools will be in demand. But are forecast to be at 50% capacity.

As for higher growth areas of the county...their problems won't be over. They'll just trade them for another set of problems as the issue remains - we can't build schools fast enough or come up with the $$ for them to keep up with the growth. I see our taxes going up to fund all this. The issues people are moving from will be here in the future.

What bothers me about the new board members is that they say they'll change the system but they don't have a concrete plan, they say they will take up to 18mts to come up with it. This is asinine, their actions have far reaching consequences affecting property values and children's lives. I resent my child's educational future being treated with such flippant disregard.

As for Tedesco...he is the least qualified for the job to lead us through this process. He has not been a corp executive or educator, he is a fundraiser for an organization that serves 1,000 kids yr., by comparison other local non profit organizations serve 100,000 to 150,000 yr. He was a city administrator for a city that had a population of 5,000 and a budget of <$2M if I am remembering correctly. Wake County's budget is 1.2B that's BILLION! WCPSS:Board Approves 2009-10 Budget And this is the man that was trash talking about Dr. Del Burns...I'm sorry, he just doesn't have the experience we need. I'd be fine with him being on the board as Jr member, learning the goings on, but to take the lead role in forming our new system...crazy!

He, and the other conservative (new) members have the backing of the Pope Foundation, NC Taxpayers Assoc and that Woodhouse guy. I am suspicious of this...why are they involved? They didn't express their desire to help our kids, our schools before now. Why do they want to see these changes? With their money and power they could have done a lot to help fix the "old" system. Heck, if they cared that much, they could help buy books for some schools where kids have to share them. Or fund fellowships for new teachers...there is much they could HAVE done.

I recently read that the state requires the board to have training each yr in board management. Members have to pay for this themselves. They just selected a branch of Pope Foundation to provide them the training. So, the foundation backed the new members, advises them, and now trains ALL board members for a fee? There are other places they could receive this training free of charge.

Look for more positive PR on him (like Sunday's paper) and Margiotti (if needed) as their backers go into full swing. Have you noticed he's been cured of his case of diarrea of the mouth? These good ole boys know what they are doing, they've been playing the game for a long time!

Old 03-24-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post

I personally won't have to worry about it for a few years, as my son is entering Kindergarten this Summer and elementary schools seem to be based on neighborhood location to a much greater extent than middle schools or high schools.
Could this be a function of the size of the schools? More smaller K-5, and as they go up in grade the schools get bigger?

Old 03-24-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
But... the magnets in "bad" areas have not improved property values there. The houses are still rentals, mostly in poor repair. They have not stimulated nearby businesses.
this is true! I wonder if it's because the homes in hi end areas that are assigned to these magnets are purchased by ppl who buy for either the school and or the nicer home? Whereas, the poorer neighborhood, well, if you don't have much money, you live where you can afford.

If a person of higher income can buy in a hi-end neighborhood and get their kid into a magnet, why would they buy in a poorer neighborhood to get into the same school? Just my thoughts...there may be other scenarios??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary