Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2010, 01:15 PM

2 posts, read 3,482 times

Advertisements

Hi my name is Tricia and my husband is being relocated to North Carolina. We currently live outside of Toronto in Canada. We are looking forward to moving down but there are so many neighbourhoods to consider and I am hoping everyone can help.

We have 2 boys, one 4.5 and the other 2.5. We are looking to move into a neighbourhood with lots of kids and Moms to play with We have done a quick tour and really liked Highcroft since it would be walking distance to the school (eventually as my 4.5 year old is not eligable for school this year)

We also liked Highcroft Village, just simply because of the new homes, but do agree that the lot sizes are small. We would love to get into a neighbourhood that has a community pool and it looks like most of them do.

Anyone recommend Cameron Pond or Carpenter area?? I found a couple of really nice homes but don't know much about the areas. I really want to live in an area where I can meet other Moms with kids of similar ages and don't want to pick the wrong neighbourhood.

My other issue is that my oldest son isn't eligable for school this year, even though he currently goes to Kindergarten here is Canada but his birthday is Sept 7th, so he is 8 days too late!! Could anyone help with with private schools in the area?? I would like to ease him in - thinking maybe 3 full days a week might be perfect for him. Thinking about Chesterbrook but realized that it was a uniformed school so I am thinking that might be a bit much.

Any help would be appreciated.
Tricia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 01:19 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
You haven't mentioned what city you are moving to...

Old 03-24-2010, 01:26 PM

2 posts, read 3,482 times
Well we are thinking about Cary. My husband is going to work in the RTP area so that seemed to make sense and others in the office recommended the area. We are open to other suggestions but would love to keep his commute to 15 minutes max.

Thanks

Old 01-23-2011, 07:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,442 times
Have you moved to NC yet? Which neighbourhood you picked?
We used to live in Woodbridge (north of Toronto) and have been here for less than 2 months. We are renting right now and looking for a good neighbourhood. Looked at Highcroft, Weycroft, Horton's Creek, Cameron Pond, ... Any recomendation? We have a 4.5 year-old who is going to school this year.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:03 PM

633 posts, read 1,164,990 times
We were supposed to move when my little one was in KG. I found out that if my little one was in a publc school in NYC here for kg she could stay in kg there!!!! It's on line. You aren't in the country so it may be different for Canada but please get in touch with them and find out for sure. My daughter is born in Sept too. Now when we move she will be in 3rd and there will be no issue!!! :-)

Old 01-24-2011, 02:34 PM

6 posts, read 12,123 times
SINY2NC,

We are from SI and considering a move too. What area are you looking at? I was looking at Cary but I'm concerned about the schools. Do you have any advice? I would really appreciate it.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:23 PM

128 posts, read 290,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SINY2NC View Post
We were supposed to move when my little one was in KG. I found out that if my little one was in a publc school in NYC here for kg she could stay in kg there!!!! It's on line. You aren't in the country so it may be different for Canada but please get in touch with them and find out for sure. My daughter is born in Sept too. Now when we move she will be in 3rd and there will be no issue!!! :-)
Canada has two levels of Kindergarten - similar to NY, where we have pre-K and K proper. Unfortunately, the programs are not the same and a kid who is in Junior K or Pre-K is not doing the same work as a kid in K. We're moving from NY next week and my Pre-K son will be going into a private program because there is no equivalent option. It all works out in the end, but it can be quite an adjustment for parents and kids making the move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary